Preamp Recommendations?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I would roof mount it but my wife’s concerned about roof damage. I guess I’ll have to try it in the attic. So, should I pick up the Radio Shack VU 60? Are there any better options for under $40? I talked the seller down to $20 and I’m planning to pick it up on Saturday. I think I’ll “hopefully” be fine because it’s a BIG antenna. I also got 100ft of RG-6Q cable off Amazon and I should be ready to run it through the wall next week sometime. My only concern about the VU-60 is pointing it. My attic is FILLED to the brim with Fiberglass, so hopefully I won’t have an asthma attack up there.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Get you a piece of 20 ft conduit and mount it up against the highest point on the house.

Don't leave more that 5 ft above the top anchor for the conduit or wind may blow it over.

I would roof mount it but my wife’s concerned about roof damage. I guess I’ll have to try it in the attic. So, should I pick up the Radio Shack VU 60? Are there any better options for under $40? I talked the seller down to $20 and I’m planning to pick it up on Saturday. I think I’ll “hopefully” be fine because it’s a BIG antenna. I also got 100ft of RG-6Q cable off Amazon and I should be ready to run it through the wall next week sometime. My only concern about the VU-60 is pointing it. My attic is FILLED to the brim with Fiberglass, so hopefully I won’t have an asthma attack up there.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Go to Lowes or Home Depot. Buy a chainlink fence TOP RAIL or 3. They are swaged on the end so you can fit them into more sections. They make GREAT mast pipes for outside antennas. You can dig a hole for a bag of Quikcrete cement, and strap the top to the house eves. No penetration into the roof surface at all.

There are ways of securing antennas to the roof (or things sticking out of the roof) that aren't much of a leak risk. Ground or eave mounting are often a great option as long as the antenna ends up being a few feet above the roof peak.

My antenna is mounted to a 6" steel vent pipe in my roof. I realize that most vent pipes are now PVC and nowhere near 6" but you get the idea.

Well, I ran the coax cable from the attic to the basement through the wall today. I fished it through using an old phone line that was previously run to the attic. Do all the elements need to be extended on the VU-60? And would I need a rotor with this antenna?
IMG_4762.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Well, I ran the coax cable from the attic to the basement through the wall today. I fished it through using an old phone line that was previously run to the attic. Do all the elements need to be extended on the VU-60? And would I need a rotor with this antenna? View attachment 133422

If you want to receive the RF signal you do need to extend the elements.. A rotor is used to point the front of the antenna toward the broadcasters. I can't see what is in your attic you will need to make that decision.

Is the RadioShack VU-60 better then this Steller Labs UHF antenna? I need to make my decision so I know if it’s worth getting the Radioshack one. I’ll first try it in the attic and if it doesn’t work there I’ll move it up and strap it to my chimney. Thanks for the help on this project of mine http://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/...ent/dp/72Y2542?MER=bn_level5_4NP_LastViewed_1

The Radioshack antenna is uhf AND vhf reception. The Stellar Labs antenna is uhf ONLY. If you want to receive both uhf and vhf stations, you'd be better off buying the Radio Shack antenna.

Reactions: Voyager6
I fished it through using an old phone line that was previously run to the attic.
Your picture in post #45 shows something that looks a lot like lamp cord -- why is that?
Do all the elements need to be extended on the VU-60?
Yes, they all work as a team.
And would I need a rotor with this antenna?
If you have to ask about extending the elements fully, you can't be serious about a employing a rotor. That said, until we know how something works, we can't tell you how adding or subtracting from it will alter the situation.

The VU-60 has a not-too-narrow beam so it is a fair choice where signals are coming from multiple directions. If you're trying to pick up stations that are off the primary direction (i.e. WLPC or CKCO), you may need a rotor, but that's usually not possible in an attic unless you have a rather large unused area that can support the antenna spinning around.

Taking up space on other people's servers is something I like to be mindful of.

I never thought about it this way. It was a RJ11 patch cord leading up to my home security speaker in the attic. Ill take a pic of the finished product tomorrow. I taped the coax to the RG11RJ11 and fished it through the wall. Im getting the VU-60 tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone!

Well, I tried getting the antenna today. After shamefully trying to get the antenna in the car for 10 minuets, I gave up. The seller agreed to meet again on Tuesday. I’ll disassemble it this time. What tools do I need and does anyone have a manual for the VU 60?

A bfh or hacksaw,they're riveted together,they don't come apart.
are you sure waylew? In the manual it states/ shows two main booms. Wouldn't it be impractical to carry/ship such a large antenna in stores would out breaking it down?
Screenshot_2018-06-09-23-50-12.jpg

Sent from my LGMS631 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts