Predictions for 2006 and beyond

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
What are some of your predictions for satellite in 2006 and beyond? I figure this would be a good post since it is towards the end of the year. I'd love to see what some people's predictions were in the past. We should have one of these every year to see who comes close.

I 2nd korsys' prediction and would like to add that IPTV providers will also emerge in 2006 and take yet another chunk of the cable and satellite market.

I predict there will be less than 5 really large Cable providers by 2008.

I predict both E* and D* service will be offered by some Telco and Broadband IPTV providers in the not to distant future.

I predict D* and E* will have to merge in order to survive. Sorry, but the video marketplace is going to become extremely competitive and DBS' inability to provide the Triple Play (voice, data, video) or Home Run (add wireless to the mix) will put a halt to their double-digit growth. They will become a niche provider to the rural markets IMO.

I predict the playing field should look completely different by the time they turn off analog OTA in early 2009.

I predict that in 2007 I will be able to download my favorite show from Verizon FiOS TV to my Verizon wireless phone.

I predict consumers are going to be the big winners! There will be choices and innovation brought about by a competitive marketplace.

A la carte will be offered along with IPTV changing the way we package channels and watch television within the next two-three years. Satellite will start losing ground unless they come up with great ala carte offers that can compete against high cable bills. Cable would be able to compete with broadband and IPTV offerings.

No NBR for any receivers that do not get it now. That is a given most definitely.

I predict that I'll drop voom if they don't go to 1920x1080i. I predict that I will get a 942 if they let me lease it.

I predict that we are going to get snow and that they are going to kill Kenny (or was he already killed for good?)

I predict that next hurricane season is going to be just as bad if not worse than this year's.

I predict that we will not see a swapout of MPEG-2 receivers to MPEG-4 receivers in 2006 and maybe not 2007 either.

theratpatrol said:
They tryed this once and were denied by the FCC. It would have formed a monopoly for satellite.
That was then, this is now. Telephone Companies, to include Broadband IPTV providers, are expected to take a huge bite out of the Cable market...and perhaps Satellite (DBS) as well. If this happens, it is unlikely that E* and D* can both survive without significantly reducing operating costs. The decisions made three years ago were based on an expanding DBS marketplace with double-digit growth. Those days will soon end and it is possible the DBS market will implode over the next five years unless they can do something to combat the technological advances being introduced by the Telcos and Cable.

The FCC/FTC probably won't deny a merger between two companies who are losing money and, if they do, they certainly can't prevent a company from going out of business. It should be interesting to see what happens. I'm not sure who will ultimately win the video market, but consumers will have more, and more affordable, choices.

I predict that IPTV will advance GREATLY and will dominate within the next five to six years especially if broadband and/or fiber/fios advances into the country.

Stargazer said:
I predict that IPTV will advance GREATLY and will dominate within the next five to six years especially if broadband and/or fiber/fios advances into the country.
Absolutely, and it is quite possible that D* and E* may be delivered via broadband. Heck, in the future you may be able to receive programming directly from the programmer and have it delivered to your media center device, completely bypassing the traditional video provider.

If the FCC interferes with the "Marketing Process", for the Television Industry, the fall out will be greater than people think. The reason that we have so many choices, is that the "Bundling of Programs", helps pay for the "Less Viewed Programs"... If, in their Wisdom, they think that giving us the "Tools" to choose which channels we want to watch, they destroy the entire Television Industry, then "SO WHAT"!!!! If these people are so stupid, that they don't bother to understand how all of this works, they don't deserve to watch TV anyway!!! RONTGLMAO.... But hey, what do I know, it's just my humble opinion anyway!!! LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)