Price Changes and HD packages on dish website

Just to throw in another monkey wrench. Neither Food-HD nor HGTV-HD are simulcasts. They show different programming...
You're right but that's a technicality. Dish seems to consider them the same. They put them side-by-side in the program guide, remember ? The "reason" behind this was supposed to be because people were watching the SD channel and because they had a HD receiver, thought they were watching in HD. They had to idiot-proof things or dumb things down for some....

The pricing does not make any sense to me. It is a $10 jump from 100 to 100+. Then from 100+ to 200 it is only $2 jump. Then from 200 to 250 it is another $10 jump. Does this make sense to anyone? I guess I am just now noticing this. I guess it has been this way for awhile now.
AFAIK the $10 step from the AT100 to AT100+ includes Locals and Regional Sports Networks. Currently they cost $5 each. But I'm with you on the other pricing steps. Why would the next 100 channels only cost $2 and the following 50 cost another $10?

WAG the channels added between AT100 and AT200 are low cost (some maybe even pay Dish to carry them) while the next 50 channels are higher cost.

BTW the current Dish Builder guarantees pricing until January 2008. WOW what a deal :)

Talon Dancer

There are two HD packs:

DishHD Essential ($10/month) - Receive the best HD channels from the America's Top programming package you subscribe to.

DishHD Ultimate ($20/month) - All the great HD programming from DishHD Essential plus 20 additional HD channels.

I assume the 20 additional channels are the 15 Voom channels plus HDNet, HDNet Movies, Universal HD, MHD, and HD Theater.

Although the PDF has the same info, I have attached a screen shot that may be easier to read.

Cheers!

EDIT: Screen shots already posted!

Attachments

• 2008 Changes.jpg
    2008 Changes.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
HAs anyone thought that maybe the third hd pack is all the hd channels + your locals and one dvr fee and call it the hd dvr advantange pack? Maybe this would be the one you add if you don't want all the sd programming but still want to save on the dvr fee? You already have the dvr advantage packs with locals and some of the dvr fee discounted. :

dvr advantage for top 100 at 39.99-save .98cents/after price increase -save 3.98
dvr advantage for top 200 at 49.99-save 3.98/after price increase -save 5.98
dvr advantage for top 250 at 59.99-save 3.98/after price increase - save 5.98.

WHy not an ALL hd dvr advantage pack for 29.99 which would include locals and the dvr fee?

( All HD dvr advantage pack for 29.99 -includes locals and one dvr fee)

That would be all 38 hd channels + any new ones coming up all for one low price. THat would be something that DIRECTV doesn't have and it would be a great price. They could say :" DISH is the home of the lowest priced All HD programming pack. "

HAs anyone thought that maybe the third hd pack is all the hd channels + your locals and one dvr fee and call it the hd dvr advantange pack? Maybe this would be the one you add if you don't want all the sd programming but still want to save on the dvr fee? You already have the dvr advantage packs with locals and some of the dvr fee discounted. :

dvr advantage for top 100 at 39.99-save .98cents/after price increase -save 3.98
dvr advantage for top 200 at 49.99-save 3.98/after price increase -save 5.98
dvr advantage for top 250 at 59.99-save 3.98/after price increase - save 5.98.

WHy not an ALL hd dvr advantage pack for 29.99 which would include locals and the dvr fee?

( All HD dvr advantage pack for 29.99 -includes locals and one dvr fee)

That would be all 38 hd channels + any new ones coming up all for one low price. THat would be something that DIRECTV doesn't have and it would be a great price. They could say :" DISH is the home of the lowest priced All HD programming pack. "
Man, I wish!

I used to be a Dish Network fan boy - all enthusiastic and excited about the company, recommending them, etc. Lately I've felt jaded and keep thinking about jumping ship, only to find there really isn't anything much better out there unless I'm willing to give up things I've grown used to (DVR, HD).

If they did something like this I would be all over it, would be promoting the company again, and would even be willing to commit to a contract (24 months is a stretch, though...).

But my wiser, cynical side tells me that this just won't happen.

they better not move hd channels into a new pack that costs another $10

20 is already a steep price that should last them a while

they better not move hd channels into a new pack that costs another $10

20 is already a steep price that should last them a while

Relax and look closer.

$20 is the same pack as what you already get. You get less channels with the $10 pack.

That is what I am seeing here anyway.

I went into my account and cannot find the 2008 changes page.

How exactly does one find it?
I have the same problem. I am able to see the pricing table when I place the URL Soctt posted directly into my browser's location field. But I can not find the link to that page or the FAQ even when logged on viewing my account etc..

Has Dish removed these links?

Talon Dancer

Relax and look closer.

$20 is the same pack as what you already get. You get less channels with the $10 pack.

That is what I am seeing here anyway.

not that, others are suggesting that dish will introduced a third $30 pack

My guess is that the new DISH HD Essential pack includes the simulcast channels + HD Net to avoid the same legal problem that D* had when they tried to place it in the HD Extras pack and HD Theator like D*, buy placing it in their most basic HD package.

I suspect that the DISH HD Ultimate pack will include the 15 Voom channels + HD Net Movies, Universal HD, MHD, NBA-HD because it is not included in any AT pack excep AEP, and NHL-HD. These add up to 20, none of the other guesses do this.

The only thing a $29.99 HD pack could be would be an HD only pack which I doubt, but it could happen I guess. Another possibility is that this pack could be the HD Ultimate pack plus your choice of one premium movie package. Yet another possibility for this package is that it is not a $29.99 package but a HD Bonus pack that would add the 5 non Voom channels to HD Essential pack for $5. Another possibility that this 3rd pack could combine AEP with DISH HD Ultimate and bring back the $5 discount that many hear have bean complaining about losing last year.

These 2 known new HD packs seam to be very much like the package's that I have suggested they would be all along.

Last edited:
"I suspect that the DISH HD Ultimate pack will include the 15 Voom channels + HD Net Movies, Universal HD, NBA-HD because it is not included in any AT pack excep AEP, and NHL-HD. These add up to 20, none of the other guesses do this."

I really hope you're right because I would like to downgrade to the HD Essential package but don't want to lose HD Theater channel.

i dont need all those channels, i just watch the Simulcast anyway, Discovery, espn, tlc, usa(when it gets on, same with sci fi) and so on..

Honestly, who watches the voom channels.. put them in a package of there own, and watch me cancel it as fast as it was announced

Speed HD would be awesome to since i just started watching Pinks **wink**wink**

It is very unlikely that any $29.99 HD package would include HBO HD channels without having to subscribe to HBO, as the difference between that and the lower HD package, would be $5 less than the cost of the SD channels ! And remember that HBO is going launch all its channels in MPEG4 HD soon. Even less likely that such a package would include HD channels of several premiums without subscription to the premium package.

not that, others are suggesting that dish will introduced a third $30 pack

It's true that a third pack was mentioned. Who said it was $30.00?

Maybe there will be an essentials plus pack priced at $15.00.

Hmm.. What would that include? Essentials plus Voom or Essentials plus other HD ONLY channels without Voom.

This just may end up being a Voom test to see how many want it. Just a guess. But if the test were to be fair, I want more than 2 or 3 movies on MonstersHD. I would add to that I would like to see more premiers on MonstersHD and all of the other channels.

Give me a Yes concert on RaveHD and I would know what pack to choose! :D

The $30 pack comes from a Rumor I posted in the pub.

When I first heard about the $10 pack (which I heard was the $9.99 pack) there was a third pack also mentioned which was $29.99.

Thats where the number comes from.

Whats going to happen? Your guess is as good as mine. :)

What is wrong with 510 name based recording?

Movie Channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)