Primestar/Channel Master Dish Aiming

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techpuppy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Hi Everyone!

Wow! What a great forum. I found so many answers to my questions here that I thought I'd never get the chance to post anything.

I am in beautiful downtown metro Huggins, MO (65484). I just got a primestar dish which is really a Channel Master dish .9 x .63 meters. I also got a roof mount for the dish all of which is now mounted on a level surface. I made sure the support arm was level before attaching the dish. My goal is G10R. The numbers I got were 36.1 elevation, 224.6 azimuth and 33.1 skew. I haven't received my receiver yet, but I'm trying to do as much as I can before it arrives. I thought getting the dish would be the hard part, but I found a used one for sale just a short drive from where I live. (No shipping charges!!)

#1: When I adjusted the elevation using the scale on the back, the dish reflector is just about perfectly vertical. I know it's an offset dish, but this seems low. Is this correct or am I missing a step somewhere?

#2: The tip elsewhere in this forum about adjusting the skew of the lnb was very helpful. I loosened the four screws slightly and rotated the "can" portion until the reading on the scale was about +33. Since the scale only goes to 40 I'm getting close to the end of the calibrated range of adjustment. Is this correct? (This is the lnb with the separate outputs for H and V.)

Thanks for the help and support for what looks like will become an addiction for me. (Why else would I be browsing this forum at 2 a.m.?)

Two thing.
1 forget the scale on the back. It OFF. Mine is off 5 degrees
2. Get a signal meter. The SF-95 is under $20 0n E-bay with S&H

techpuppy said:
Hi Everyone!

Wow! What a great forum. I found so many answers to my questions here that I thought I'd never get the chance to post anything.

I am in beautiful downtown metro Huggins, MO (65484). I just got a primestar dish which is really a Channel Master dish .9 x .63 meters. I also got a roof mount for the dish all of which is now mounted on a level surface. I made sure the support arm was level before attaching the dish. My goal is G10R. The numbers I got were 36.1 elevation, 224.6 azimuth and 33.1 skew. I haven't received my receiver yet, but I'm trying to do as much as I can before it arrives. I thought getting the dish would be the hard part, but I found a used one for sale just a short drive from where I live. (No shipping charges!!)

#1: When I adjusted the elevation using the scale on the back, the dish reflector is just about perfectly vertical. I know it's an offset dish, but this seems low. Is this correct or am I missing a step somewhere?

#2: The tip elsewhere in this forum about adjusting the skew of the lnb was very helpful. I loosened the four screws slightly and rotated the "can" portion until the reading on the scale was about +33. Since the scale only goes to 40 I'm getting close to the end of the calibrated range of adjustment. Is this correct? (This is the lnb with the separate outputs for H and V.)

Thanks for the help and support for what looks like will become an addiction for me. (Why else would I be browsing this forum at 2 a.m.?)

dont use the screw for elevation...there is the edge right above the screw and it should be fine. I have a Primestar dish that aims right (but when I use the screw its off by 4 or 5 degrees)

You can rotate the LNB beyond 40 :)

Even if you break the bolt off on top that was used to adjust elevation on the top you can use the two on the sides as you would with the smaller dbs dishes (and perhaps easier and faster).

Status
Please reply by conversation.