Primestar Dish and LNB. Any good?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kelleyga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
I just got from a friend a PrimeStar Dish (is not round, it is like an oval, 39" x 28"). I also has the LNB pole.

1) Can I use this for anything?
2) If I set it up can I pick up something? Like Ku FTA??
3) Do I need to buy a special receiver to get this going?

Sure can use it for FTA, I think it would be best to replace the LNBF.
Any of the receivers found in the review area would work for KU (and C-Band) I use the Fortec Lifetime Ultra right now. I also use a 40" Primestar dish for C-band with some good results.

With this PrimeStar, can I buy a mover for it?
Does it comes with a Ku lnb already? or a proprietary one?

Bit too heavy to motorize without modification, but well worth it. There is post here with details who to do it. The LNBF will work but a new Low Noise LNBF would really help bring it up to date and operate to its full potential.

PBS, what is the difference between:

1) LNBF and LNB
2) Standard and Universal
3) THe other one is dual, which I assume is C/Ku, right?
4) What makes and LNB better, Low Temp? and low Input?

1/ LNB has no feedhorn. LNBF does.

2/ Standard uses a L.O. of 10750. ANd Universal uses 09750-10600 L.O. as it uses two bands, switched using a 22KHz tone.

3/ Dual just means two outputs.

4/ The easiest way to determine the best LNBF is the noise value (Invacom are 0.3dB) But of course the quality of the product must also be taken into account.

As far as I know, lnbf is an all in one unit. Lnb you need a seperate feedhorn and servo-motor to change the polarity on the lnb (this is very old technology). Most people choose to buy an lnbf nowdays. There isn't much difference between standard and universal. I use both and it doesn't prohibit me from picking up all the sats. between 72 and 123 degrees. I have three primestar dishes. I recently upgraded from the originial lnb's to Fortec .4's. I noticed a 20 point increase in signal strength with the .4 I believe the old P* lnb's are about .7 so the lower the noise temp. the better.

sikma said:
I recently upgraded from the originial lnb's to Fortec .4's. I noticed a 20 point increase in signal strength with the .4 I believe the old P* lnb's are about .7 so the lower the noise temp. the better.

How hard was it to exchange the lnbf on the Primestar dish? What additional parts do I need to get to install a lower temp one like Pete's .3 lnbf's? Thanks!

In the C band dish 10 feet that I got, the lnb has the following readings:

Gardiner C95-40
Noise temp OK 40 grades
Low noise blosck down converter
input 3.7 - 4.26 hz
If: 950 - 1450 MHZ
Gain: 65 db
Lo: 5150 MHZ

I do not see any noise reading starting with POINT (.X) something?

I am assuming this is a C-band only lnb? Any help? Thanks.

MikeI said:
How hard was it to exchange the lnbf on the Primestar dish? What additional parts do I need to get to install a lower temp one like Pete's .3 lnbf's? Thanks!
All I did was take the old lnb off and set the Fortec in the groove of the dish arm, run a zip-tie throught the screw holes and secured the Fortec that way. I'm sure it isn't code:D but it worked well for me. Got a 96 quality on Fox on the 101 bird.

kelleyga said:
In the C band dish 10 feet that I got, the lnb has the following readings:

Gardiner C95-40
Noise temp OK 40 grades
Low noise blosck down converter
input 3.7 - 4.26 hz
If: 950 - 1450 MHZ
Gain: 65 db
Lo: 5150 MHZ

I do not see any noise reading starting with POINT (.X) something?

I am assuming this is a C-band only lnb? Any help? Thanks.

This is a relatively high noise C-band LNB. It is only for C-band. The C-band LNBs compare noise ratings by 'degrees', the lower the better. Newer ones can be as low as 15 degree LNBs. The Ku LNBs are by dB, also the lower the better. Many are .4 dB or .3 dB.

However, noise isn't the only factor to consider when comparing LNB(F)s. Gain (typically 50-60 dB on Ku LNBs) and also L.O. (Local Oscillator) stability makes a difference as well.

For example, I recently replaced a .4 Ku LNBF (feedhorn and LNB all in one piece, same design as you see with DirecTV LNBs) with a .9 ( :shocked ) LNB attached to a matched feedhorn for my Channel Master dish. You'd think the .4 would blow the .9 away, but the combination of the matched feedhorn (made for my particular dish) and the .9 LNB's extremely stable L.O. (10x more stable than the .4) outperforms my .4 LNBF by 10 or more quality points.

Using the Invacom SNF-031 slipped right into the 120 flange like a glove. On G10 I get 99+ quality on the best transponders here in MI. A great LNB I would highly reccomend it. Mike

dishMike

What signals do you get on 11799 & 11719 TP's?

The 99+ I can get on 12114 with a 30" dish. Its really strong :D

Ice, I'm sorry the phone lines were down last night. 11799 quality 82-92/85 level and 11719 quality 59-73/84 level on my Fortecstar Ultra. thanks, Mike

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)