Primestar install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

searay43

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Republic, Washington
I thought I would share the pics of the primestar dish install for my friend who was lucky enough to find this dish and save it. I installed this dish on top of a mountain, which has terrible LOS, I was able to shoot 83w and felt we had a pretty good shot at that sat. The problem was the location was going to be on a slope down in a small gully, we couldn’t sink a pole in the ground because it’s solid bedrock. My friend got creative and with the help of a chain saw an ax, spike nails, and a hammer we put together this giant stand made out of tamarack poles.

The stand is over 8 feet tall; we had to have it at least this tall to make up for the slope and the gully. Once we carried the stand down and put it into position we had to get this thing level, with the help of a chain saw he cut off 1 foot of one leg in the front. A few minor adjustments and we had the stand as level as we were going to get it, the stand is held in place with 2 or 3 hundred pounds of rock. I climbed up the pole with a make shift ladder he made and put the dish on the mount. The stand held my weight plus the dish without budging and inch, after getting the dish ready I hooked up my cheap $10 sat meter and told my friend lets hope the sat gods are watching over us today.

I turned the dial until I got sound and then backed the dial off and moved the dish left maybe 1 degree and buried the needle with signal, I couldn’t believe I hit 83w so fast. I made a few more adjustments and locked the dish down. I made up all new cable with new compression fittings and installed a new 3x4 zinwell switch and ran a 150ft of cable to the merc2. I set up the merc and scanned in 83w, when RTV came on the TV my friend was smiling from ear to ear; that alone made this project worth it and made my day as well. The first pic is the LOS standing in front of the dish, if you look up the hill side you will see a V formed by the trees, looking at the furthest tree you can see through the V is where 83w sits.

Well an old primestar dish that was wasting away now proudly sits on top of a mountain bringing TV to someone who didn’t have any TV. :up This is all powered by solar panels and batteries with an inverter. This was a really fun install as well as changeling, I hope you guys enjoy the pics. :)

Attachments

• DSCF2392.JPG
    DSCF2392.JPG
    323.5 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCF2391.JPG
    DSCF2391.JPG
    339.7 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCF2393.JPG
    DSCF2393.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCF2394.JPG
    DSCF2394.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCF2395.JPG
    DSCF2395.JPG
    328.6 KB · Views: 174
  • DSCF2398.JPG
    DSCF2398.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 136
Now there's a hell of an FTA story!
And then you topped it off with: "This is all powered by solar panels and batteries with an inverter." ?
Incredible! - :eek:
I think we'll keep you around... maybe at the end of the year, make you poster boy for FTA! - :D

This was the 1.2m Primestar your forest buddy found? And later found another for you?
Kudos to the both of ya! - :up
Keep recyclin' those dishes.

Thanks for the great replys, if it hadn't been for my friend and his creative idea on that stand I couldn't have pulled this off. That LOS really had me worried because I knew it would be close on the elevation, but thankfully it all worked out. Anole, I don't know about a poster boy but if you want to keep me around awhile that would be fine by me. :) :up You all have a great day.

Good work, a Daniel Boone location and installation! You need the AxMen from Historychannel to come through there and clear out your LOS, haha.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts