Primestar Set up HELP

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dhageremtp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
North Dakota
Hello all,
I set up my old primestar dish to pick up the UND FSSN channel.
Satellite Info
Intelsat Americas 6 (Galaxy 26) Digital - 93°
K17 Slot C - 9 MHz
Ku Band - Downlink Frequency: 12031 V
L Band - Downlink Frequency: 1281 V
Symbol Rate 4.88
FEC 3/4
PMT 480
Video 481
Audio 484 (Primary L&R)

Receiver Audio Info
Left Channel - Mono Program Audio
Right Channel - Cue tones ONLY
Markets with WDAZ 102* - ON
Markets with WDAZ 102# - OFF
Markets without WDAZ 063* - ON
Markets without WDAZ 063# - OFF

I have aksed many questions before, to prepare for the install, but now I need some help. Using a compass I believe I found where I need my dish to point. The dish is level, I have it at 34 Degrees for the elevation and at 167.00 degrees. I have the LNB set to -6.5 (roughly) as according to Glorystar Satellite systems dish pointing information. I ran my cable to my PCI card, a Twinhan DTV 1027. Once I start up my card and scan channels, I have found that I have 60-63% signal. I am not sure if that is good or bad.....however when I do a channel scan, I get 0 channels. Can you help me set this up?

dont select any of them unless you have a switch attached

Can you get the CBS News feed? (11710 V 14310)

no CBS News Feed. Yes I had to attach a switch, though I guess I could only use the V side of the LNB, right? THat woudl eliminate the need for a switch.

If you have a v=signal and one of those primestars with the 2 lnb outputs, you won't need a switch. Plug your coax to the V-side, and once you hit the satellite signal you should be good to scan. Might have to adjust elevation a good bit from what the charts say, vs what the "guage" on the mount shows.

Even on the V, nothing else attached, I still get no channels when doing a scan. I do not know if I am even on the right bird. I was able to do some adjustments on the elevation and got a signal strength of 86%, but still nothing.

Turbosat is right you may need to tweak the dish, believe me an 8th of an inch is like a mile up there. I have two Primestar dish's and the one always gave me 62% no matter if it was aimed at my shed or the sky.

Ok here is the deal, a little adjustment, got the singal to 85%. I did a scan and picked up 11785/3979/V....The channel says it is operated by AZCAR Training and provides distance learning based operations for the sprint nextel 2 GHZ project. ANY idea where in the world that is located?

According to Lyngsat, that is G25/IA5 at 97W.....BUT

its 11779 H 3979

so if you are getting it on V are you sure the skew is right? Maybe its off by 90 degrees

The Ku band service is on Galaxy 25, at 97 W with carrier ID 1736729; 11778.700 MHz, H pol, Symbol Rate 3.978723, 3/4 FEC, 5.5 MBps

That is acording to their website for training, I picked it up at 11785, so how do I adjust this. I tried to move East, but now I think I hit the corner of the house or the neighbors trees.

for the night I give up, I do believe that I need to move my house to the east about 5 feet, or the dish west about 5 feet to miss the house....then I need to cut down a couple of the neighbors trees........after that, I should be in.

if you got 97 you're close then, maybe the trees will have enough opening for you to be able to peek thru at your desired target. Have to be able to get around obstacles, over them, under them, etc. Don't give up until you've tried everything!
Edit to add : GO one sat at a time, see if you can hit galaxy3. Look up the chinese channels on lyngsat, create a transponder in your box with the info from lyngsat, see if you can hit that one next.

I can pickup Galaxy 25, so a little further to the east and I should be able to get Galaxy 26. Signal is about 80% and the quality is good. I picked up quite a few channels as well. Maybe later in the week or this weekend I can point to 26. Thanks for all the help.

Dont know where you are but you may have to twist that lnbf in its holder to get it skewed right.
If you're only using the V-side of the lnbf , and the signal you want is Vertical, setting the skew to whatever the charts say for your area should get you locked on.

Can you tell me how far I need to move the dish to get from G25 to G26 in terms of inches? I know that G25 is at 172.4 degrees and G26 is at 167.0 degrees, so I would need to move the dish 5.4 degrees east, right? How many inches would that translate into?
Dustin :confused:

Dont know where you are but you may have to twist that lnbf in its holder to get it skewed right.
If you're only using the V-side of the lnbf , and the signal you want is Vertical, setting the skew to whatever the charts say for your area should get you locked on.

I do have the skew set at about (according to the LNB and the LNB holder) at -6. On G25 I have about 22 tv and radio stations doing a complete satellite scan.

Hitting the moving target in space

Like Ice said "parts of inches!!!!!!' " not 'how many' inches. lol
those sats are next door to each other, for my primestar dishes going 2 degrees relates to about 1/8 of an inch on the pole, sometimes a bit more or less. It's tedious and easy to overshoot the next bird, but with some practice on your particular dish/pole you'll get it. Take a marker and straight edge and mark that pole when you find a sat location, makes it easier to re-find it later.
Note the elevation someplace on paper too-it changes as you move the dish more than a few degrees.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)