Problem receiving RTN's on G10R

Status
Please reply by conversation.

navagator

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
Hello,

I just succeeded at finding G10R with my Primestar dish, unfortunately and with great frustration :confused: I seem to be having the same problem receiving the RTN programming on G10R as I have trying to receive it with my big dish. The picture quality is good ( no pixilation or macroblocking ), as with my big dish, but the picture freezes intermittently usually when there is motion ( people walking ), it looks as though every frame or two there is a missing frame, the picture jerks and is very choppy. I have a signal strength of 70 to 72 and a signal quality of 80 to 83 with the Primestar which seems to be fairly high.

I attributed the freezing problem with my big dish due to misalignment ( mainly my focal distance ), since the RTN’s on G3 are in 7/8 FEC and are sensitive to correct dish alignment.

I’m planning on trying to adjust the focal distance on the big dish come this Spring. It has a button hook feed which is rusted in place, I am in hopes with enough penetrating oil I can bust it loose and pull it out. It’s a job for warmer weather, for me anyway.

But I believe the RTN’s on G10R are in 3/4 FEC which from what I understand should be more forgiving to misalignment, however I think I have the Primestar fairly well aimed.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem?

I haven’t installed the new factory firmware yet on my Visionsat, is it possible the new firmware would fix this issue?

There’s really a lot of great programming on the RTN’s but the freezing just drives me up a wall :yikes.

Thanks

Doug

I'm using a Visionsat IV-200, and have not had any freezing problems associated with the reception of G-10R. Pulling the satellite in using a 1 meter Channel Master dish fitted with a stacked FSS LNB. I highly recommend that you install the newest firmware (1.18), available here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1113824-post105.html

There are PLENTY of bug fixes, including working blind scanning through a DiSEqC switch.

I have a Pansat 2700 on a ADTH 81cm dish with a Geosatpro LNBF and G-10 works fine. You are correct that the G-10 RTN mux is 3/4 and the G3 C band mux is 7/8 which is harder to receive. My 12 foot has no problems on the C band feed either.

I saw once with a clients Mercury II receiver the same thing your talking about. I flashed it for him to the latest firmware and it solved that issue. So I would second Tron's advice and flash the receiver.

I'd look towards a receiver problem. Whether it be a setting or perhaps firmware as you suggest, that's where I'd start. I think you can safely eliminate a dish/alignment problem.
I've found with G10R that the signals seem to be rock steady with a 1.2m Star Choice offset dish. Even when it wasn't tweaked quite right I didn't see any freezing issues except in heavy rain.

I use a visionsat on G10 with no issues. Use a 36" dish and a 8x1 diseqc switch

G3 I can barely lock with my 6 footer. With the 7/8 FEC its not stable at all but G10 works great :)

Good Afternoon,

I uploaded the new firmware a couple of days ago and no more freezing. Everything works great, even the clock. :):):):)

Thanks.

Coming from using a Pansat 2700 for such a long time, the real time clock on the Visionsat is one of the things I really appreciate about it. Its great to just move the dish over to a Dish Network bird and get the time and date automatically set. The receiver then does a perfect job of keeping both accurate after its turned off or moved to a different satellite :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)