problems with XP SP3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Matt Manos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Springdale, AR
Anyone here experienced any problems after installing XP Service Pack 3? I've heard bad things about it and am wondering if it is safe to install on my mom's Dell.

They say that HP computers are the ones with the problems at this time since they used a single installation image for both AMD and Intel processors. It causes them to go into a reboot loop.

I've installed it on my Dell XPS at home and on a Lenovo Thinkpad at work and haven't seen any problems so far. Getting ready to do a HP 7700.

NightRyder

I tried downloading it today from the windows update site and it went on for about a hour and said could not complete installation. It uninstalled itself and said that my windows xp sp2 might not work correctly. After restarting everything is all right but no sp3. I read from their site that I should save the download to my computer and shut down my anti virus and firewall. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for any help.

I'll probably give it another week or two and download/install the SP for her . . . after I back up her system and make sure auto restore is on.

Thanks.

The main issue seems to be with AMD processors when the manufacturer used an unified image for both Intel and AMD processors. I believe the installation does not realize that the processor specific work arounds are all in one file and just puts the Intel workaround file in place. This causes AMD processors not to boot. Pretty much every processor has quirks that the operating system has to have special case handlers to work around.

It seems it maybe more of an OEM issue, but the clear disclaimer note: (you almost want to say any home user or non-company tech that D/L this is a knucklehead; LOL)

"DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER"

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers
Brief Description
This installation package is intended for IT professionals and developers downloading and installing on multiple computers on a network.

It seems it maybe more of an OEM issue, but the clear disclaimer note: (you almost want to say any home user or non-company tech that D/L this is a knucklehead; LOL)

I find the complete version very handy. I use it when reinstalling computers to avoid hours of downloads. I burn it to CD then use the SP after installs. XP has broken licensing and you cannot use a license key for OEM XP no service packs on a OEM XP SP2 CD, or upgrade license, etc.

I find the complete version very handy. I use it when reinstalling computers to avoid hours of downloads. I burn it to CD then use the SP after installs. XP has broken licensing and you cannot use a license key for OEM XP no service packs on a OEM XP SP2 CD, or upgrade license, etc.

Sorry, I was meaning it seems to be an issue with OEM (HP) and the way they handled certain lines of their AMD installed machine's pre-installed driver files.

"DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER"

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers
Brief Description
This installation package is intended for IT professionals and developers downloading and installing on multiple computers on a network.
They would rather Windows Update determine what you need to do the update. A recipe for disaster in my book. Download the whole package and feel better about it.

I see your follow-on note. I'd download the whole thing anyway.

I haven't seen Windows Update say anything about SP3 on either of my machines. What's going on?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts