prodelin 1.8 focal point

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

english2fourth

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
city of the angels cali
i looked at the schematics and geometry from the prodelin website, but it seems like the ku is what it is measured for. any thoughts on the measurements if i use c band? i am making the supports, and i think i have found the sweet spot but it is always better to be exact....

length of bottom support rod

thanks anole. btw, congrats on your new beast. looks great. i am trying to get the precise point, and i looked at the linuxman numbers. so the ku is going to be the same for c? that was what i didn't know. i get stuff, but just want to squeeze as much out of it as i can.

i am trying to get the precise point, and i looked at the linuxman numbers. so the ku is going to be the same for c? that was what i didn't know.

Yup, the focal point will be identical. If you shined up the surface, you could focus the sun at light frequencies. :)

math helps!

okay, looked over the pendragon linuxman convo, and didn't really get anything more than conjecture. linuxman's circumstances are slightly different than mine because he has the bestial support arm. i thought outside of the box...how does my channelmaster 85 work? maybe the geometry is the same? so i measured the support arms to the channelmaster, and figured out the equivilant for the prodelin 1.8, and extrapolated the numbers, built a last arm of support by vicegripping two dish 1000 mast arms together, and VOILA! booming signal!

now i have my beloved 107.3 and now that i have completed my project, now what do i do? i guess i could start adding some ku lnb to the prodelin, and i have a bsc421 for a double cband...think it will work anole? guess i could start making pictures of this stuff so people can see the stuff. maybe it can be instructive.

by the way, any newbies that are bewildered, just think that i knew nothing about anything related to the world of fta and sats four months ago, and now i have a modded 85 motorized that goes h to h with no dropoff (easy, once i scrapped my bandstacked norsat for the ghetto MIGHTY lnb) and a 1.8 prodelin that i created support arms that is running cband that i can move iceberg style.

With the help of the mods, especially anole and iceberg i have been able to basically make whatever i can think of making. this has been a great ride, and it is because of the contributions of all the great members of this community.

any ideas for new projects?

too late:

Maybe it didn't ring a bell that you were arm-less. :D
There are several versions (or maybe two brands) which look similar, but one has side support arms and the other doesn't.
I just thought the newer ones were made lighter, and had the support struts.

Anyway, here is a little write up I did a while back for finding the LNB location on an unknown dish.
It requires a plumb pole, accurate elevation markings, and some clever azimuth alignment, but should work:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1406345-post5.html
The Prodelin 1.8m has seriously accurate elevation and azimuth, so it should be a breeze!
Wish I'd thought to suggest this from the beginning.

Glad to hear you've got 'er peaked! - :up
Was talking to Linuxman today, and that is a nice performing dish, even on C-band.
Now, we need to work out a clever motorization technique for it! - :eek:

motor? how much horsepower!

seriously, this beast needs a car to move it. jk. actually, it is pretty smooth on the support base, but i would wonder about the skew if it were motorized. i am happy with it fixed! thanks again, anole!

what i did on mine when i had the 1.8 prodelin, mine still had the ku band lnb and radio on it.
i made a bracket from some thick slotted steel from the local hardware store and use bolts and nuts to mount to the prodelin's feedhorn mount. i made sure my lnbf was in the same position as the direcway / hughes radio-feedhorn assembly. I knew i was close anyway.
my offset c band lnbf bracket was slotted so i could slide it forward and back to adjust the proper position. I locked JLTV on 123W c-band at 68% quality on a fortec ultra. not bad.
could have tuned it better probably.
the c-band lnbf had to be raised up higher on the flat mount arm on the prodelin to make up for the thickness of the radio assembly and lnb/ku feedhorn. That stuff was kind of thick and bulky.

You want your lnbf opening right where that ku feedhorn and radio unit's opening was originally.

My prodelin weighed a ton and had stainless steel side support arms. The azimuth and Elevation marks were amazingly accurate.

The arms mount to the front of the dish so from the dish to the center of the bolt holes the measurements are.
the two side poles are 56"
the bottom pole is 42 1/2"

I hope this helps out. Mine look look like they are made from 3/8" tubing with the ends mashed flat and a hole drilled in the ends for a 1/4" bolt on the lnb end and a 3/8" bolt on the dish end.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)