Prof 7301 first time linux user driver install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

msr

Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
uk
I am new to linux and want to use prof 7301 with it. I have setup ubuntu 9.10, and am trying to install drivers. I believe you need firmware and a driver from what i was reading, to use in linux.

I see you guys have installed this card. Can anyone do a quick guide on how i install this card, as there are no official linux drivers for it. Where do i get the firmware, and how do i run the driver install exactly.

Thx in advance for any help.

There is no firmware for the Prof 7301. You need to get the DVB repository from s2-liplianin and install it. A web search should turn up several guides for doing this.

So if i find a guide to install that driver set, i am good to scan, no firmware needed, or other patching? By the way what in your opinion, what is the best dvbs2 card for starters in linux. Is dvbworld or tbs better for beginners as they have drivers supplied by the manufacturers? I have the prof 7301, and i originially brought for windows, and it works really well in it, but i would like to build a low tech htpc based on linux, which is just a satelitte box.

Pendragon i did this install, but it did not install for me.

apt-get install build-essential
apt-get install mercurial cvs subversion libncurses-dev
cd /usr/local/src
hg clone hxxp://mercurial.intuxication.org/hg/s2-liplianin/cd s2-liplianincd
cd s2-liplianin
cd linux/include/linux
ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/linux/
make distclean
make
make install
depmod -a
reboot
The card did not install, any ideas, i am using ubuntu 9.10. You can see from script i downloaded latest drivers there. The card is prof 7301.

The hxxp, is just for this site, as it would not let me do the address.

thx qwert got scanning now, strange, i can scan hd channels, with your tutorial link.

msr

Besides installing a Linux driver for a particular PC Card, you may also need to install a TV Viewer package like Linux VDR or MythTV to fully enjoy Sat TV in Linux. That may also include installing other add-on packages to cover your viewing needs. Look through Linux TV forums for more info on packages required.

Linux and DVR

I know this sounds like a hassle but to be honest you should probably scrap your ubuntu install all together and install the mythbuntu distro on the box if it is only to be used for satellite viewing.

Any updates on blind scanning with the Prof Tuners. I have taken the plunge, I have Prof 7500 on the way. I have installed UBUNTU 9.10 and am in the process of learning this new OS.

Any updates on blind scanning with the Prof Tuners. I have taken the plunge, I have Prof 7500 on the way. I have installed UBUNTU 9.10 and am in the process of learning this new OS.

Blindscanning works for both the 7301 and 7500, but the available Linux drivers have bugs and limitations that make this unreliable and somewhat awkward to implement on the application side. I completed fixes for the bugs and began adding new features specifically for blindscanning back in January. However I was unexpectedly diverted into a much higher priority project that has been consuming most of my time since. I'm hoping this interruption will be winding down over the next 2-4 weeks and I will have the time to get back to blindscanning. When it comes to open-source, you get what you pay for.

I know this sounds like a hassle but to be honest you should probably scrap your ubuntu install all together and install the mythbuntu distro on the box if it is only to be used for satellite viewing.

I looked at that and decided to go with Ubuntu 9.10 because it has all of the major apps I want. I just went to the universe repository and installed VLC and MythTV. Much easier.

Blindscanning works for both the 7301 and 7500, but the available Linux drivers have bugs and limitations that make this unreliable and somewhat awkward to implement on the application side. I completed fixes for the bugs and began adding new features specifically for blindscanning back in January. However I was unexpectedly diverted into a much higher priority project that has been consuming most of my time since. I'm hoping this interruption will be winding down over the next 2-4 weeks and I will have the time to get back to blindscanning. When it comes to open-source, you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the update.

I might know just enough Linux to be dangerous (to my computer :rant:) in a few weeks.:D

I have stumbled my :censored: way through installing and setting up Ubuntu 9.10. Got it set up and even got S2API installed:clap. I didn't see any errors so it might just work. The only problem I had is the drivers for Nvidia do not work correctly with HDMI. It's an over scan issue when in HDMI mode all the upper pull down tabs are gone. Changing resolution does not fix the over scan. From what I have read this has been an issue with Nvidia for some time :(. I'll have to use RGB for now :rant:.

I'm ready to install a TV Viewer package from the universe repository. Linux VDR or MythTV. Any recommendations as to which one or something else?

Thanks

Howdy!

After a few days of messing around, I was able to get my Prof 7300 working well under Ubuntu 9.10. Here are a few tips:

1. I pulled the motor & switch out of the loop. I was having a bit of a hard time dealing with the motor stuff at first, and it's really something that should debugged last and not first. If you can position your dish manually, verify it via a secondary source (I used a SV360E), then get your LNB/Card setup correctly, you're in a good place to start messing with the motor & switch. Make sure that you can pull out at least some amount of signal properly, without them in the loop, so that you can use verification of this signal as a sign that your switch/motor setup is working properly.

2. This card felt pretty sensitive to LNB settings, which of course, they all should be. But in my case, even though the standard settings that 'scan' and 'w_scan' use are correct, it works when I manually enter the LNB information, and doesn't when I don't. Here is some example usage of scan that pulls properly for me (My LNB is a QPH031 Quad LNBF, and I am attached to linear).

scan -5 -U -l 10750 /usr/share/dvb/dvb-s/IA5-97w

3. If you're having problems with your PCI card, you should be using 'dmesg' to help you debug. If you're asking a question, you should include relevant information from there in your post, just in case. This will confirm that your hardware driver is at least functional.

4. If you have installed MythTV, be sure to turn it off if you're going to be messing around with the command line and other utilities. You can do this via:

/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop
(and 'start' to turn it back on later)

5. In MythTV, make sure you specify your LNB properly before a channel scan.

6. The files in '/usr/share/dvb/dvb-s/' aren't always up to date. Verify with Lyngsat, and add information appropriately.

7. If you want to use the IR controller on the card, you will have to de-blacklist the driver. It's blacklisted for a reason, it doesn't seem to work that well. I haven't done any debugging as to why. I can't find the page that have the HAL de-blacklisting instructions, but they are out there somewhere. I was able to get everything working except the 'enter' key, which made it useless. I gave up and moved on to other projects.

8. I found that MeTV is somewhat useful for getting started, but I can't specify the LNB settings for it through the standard interface. But I am able to get one transponder on Galaxy 19 with the defaults, so this could be a good place to start. Also, quit via the file menu and not the 'X' button, otherwise it just hides up in your status panel and keeps hold on the card, which will give you a headache.

I'm not sure how much this applies to the 7301, but I hope it's useful.

BTW, We spent 3 months time our engineers on "Blind Scan" in the PTG Engine 1.7. We plan to implement "Blind Scan" in our windows-drivers (PTG Engine 1.7). Estimated time of project implementation - in 3-4 months.
We interrupted to create a plug-in remote control for the DVBViewer Pro.

P.S. Please do not ask me questions in this forum. Stay tuned for news on the official site.

P.P.S. If you do not know how to use Linux, please use Prof-7300 for Linux.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)