Professional baseball in south Florida last chance...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'd love to have them here in Orlando. I always felt Orlando could draw from the tourists (high traffic theory) as we get tons of folks from NL cities anyways. Put up a retractable roof park and you have a stable base of visiting fans until you grow your Orlando market. We keep talking here about a viable answer to the aging Citrus Bowl, I wonder if it's possible to come up with a suitable covered facility to house both baseball and football. Not wanting to go to the cookie cutter multi-purpose stadiums of the past, but a modern place that would have a ballpark feel for about 40,000 and the ability to hold another 20,000 for football. Put them near the tourist/convention center with it's major roadways and multitude of hotels, I think it would work. But the fly in the ointment would be the Rays, who claim this area as their market, even if they insist on staying in St. Pete, which adds another 45 minutes drive from Orlando. A new Rays park in Tampa (especially east Tampa )is much more attractive to the Orlando fan. Of course this will never happen, so I'm really hoping South Florida keeps the Marlins so we Floridians don't lose them altogether. In a perfect world, sport leagues finance their own stadiums.

My two cents. :)

And your absolutely right. I think Orlando would be a good possibility...but the Rays of full of it because LA, Chicago, NYC and DC ALL have two teams....

FINALLY, the Florida Marlins...to be renamed the MIAMI Marlins, have themselves a BASEBALL ball park!

Quite honestly, I am shocked! I htought there was NO CHANCE this was gonna pass.....getting 9 out of 13 city commissioners to agre on ANYTHING is a rare miracle itself, much less a MAJOR city altering project like this.

PLAY BALL! Miami FINALLY gets a ball park!

After nine hours of debate, the Miami-Dade Commission agreed to pay for a share of a new baseball stadium for the team, clearing the way for construction

Baseball fans, meet the Miami Marlins.

''Ten years is a long time. Eventually it was going to come. Wow, I'm very happy, very pleased,'' said team owner Jeffrey Loria.

Standing near Loria, Miami Mayor Manny Diaz said, ``Finally. I never had any doubt it would happen.''

The commission's 9-4 vote, following more than nine hours of debate, elicited cheers and hugs, including one between Loria and team President David Samson.

Voting in favor of the stadium were Commissioners Dennis Moss, Bruno Barreiro, Audrey Edmonson, Natacha Seijas, Javier Souto, Barbara Jordan, Dorrin Rolle, Jose ''Pepe'' Diaz and Rebeca Sosa.

In the minority were Commissioners Carlos Gimenez, Sally Heyman, Katy Sorenson and Joe Martinez. Sorenson argued forcefully against spending public money for a private enterprise, saying trying to make changes to better the deal was like putting ``lipstick on a fish.''

Monday's theatrics came four days after the team won similar approval at Miami City Hall, a one-two punch of ''yes'' votes that ended the franchise's long-tortured pursuit of a new stadium.

'It is not a perfect deal. I see more positives than I see negatives in this deal. I will tell you straight out it will create jobs,' Commissioner Diaz said shortly before the vote.

A bid waiver to hire construction manager Hunt/Moss passed 10-3, with Martinez voting yes. Other measures passed, including one to bond out money to finance the deal.

The grueling day began with a brief introduction on the stadium plan by County Manager George Burgess, followed by public input.

But even that was interrupted by a brief melee outside the chamber, which resulted in police hauling away two Miami Worker's Center workers in handcuffs. And with a chamber filled with supporters and critics.

It was a fitting, dramatic end to a stadium pursuit that had long ago gone into extra innings -- 15 years, through three ownership groups.

Original team owner H. Wayne Huizenga, who launched the franchise in 1993, sold the ball club not long after its first title in 1997, in part because he failed to secure a site for a ballpark.

Then John Henry spent years trying to build one downtown on the bay -- before giving up and shelling out more than $700 million for the Boston Red Sox.

Loria said the Marlins have an untenable situation at Dolphin Stadium, with little revenue to the team from concessions or parking or suite sales.

The new ballpark will have 37,000 seats under a retractable roof, with about 60 suites and new parking facilities. The team hopes to take the field on Opening Day 2012.

Play ball: Miami-Dade OK's Florida Marlins stadium - South Florida - MiamiHerald.com

FINALLY, the Florida Marlins...to be renamed the MIAMI Marlins, have themselves a BASEBALL ball park!

Quite honestly, I am shocked! I htought there was NO CHANCE this was gonna pass.....getting 9 out of 13 city commissioners to agre on ANYTHING is a rare miracle itself, much less a MAJOR city altering project like this.

PLAY BALL! Miami FINALLY gets a ball park!

After nine hours of debate, the Miami-Dade Commission agreed to pay for a share of a new baseball stadium for the team, clearing the way for construction

Baseball fans, meet the Miami Marlins.

''Ten years is a long time. Eventually it was going to come. Wow, I'm very happy, very pleased,'' said team owner Jeffrey Loria.

Standing near Loria, Miami Mayor Manny Diaz said, ``Finally. I never had any doubt it would happen.''

The commission's 9-4 vote, following more than nine hours of debate, elicited cheers and hugs, including one between Loria and team President David Samson.

Voting in favor of the stadium were Commissioners Dennis Moss, Bruno Barreiro, Audrey Edmonson, Natacha Seijas, Javier Souto, Barbara Jordan, Dorrin Rolle, Jose ''Pepe'' Diaz and Rebeca Sosa.

In the minority were Commissioners Carlos Gimenez, Sally Heyman, Katy Sorenson and Joe Martinez. Sorenson argued forcefully against spending public money for a private enterprise, saying trying to make changes to better the deal was like putting ``lipstick on a fish.''

Monday's theatrics came four days after the team won similar approval at Miami City Hall, a one-two punch of ''yes'' votes that ended the franchise's long-tortured pursuit of a new stadium.

'It is not a perfect deal. I see more positives than I see negatives in this deal. I will tell you straight out it will create jobs,' Commissioner Diaz said shortly before the vote.

A bid waiver to hire construction manager Hunt/Moss passed 10-3, with Martinez voting yes. Other measures passed, including one to bond out money to finance the deal.

The grueling day began with a brief introduction on the stadium plan by County Manager George Burgess, followed by public input.

But even that was interrupted by a brief melee outside the chamber, which resulted in police hauling away two Miami Worker's Center workers in handcuffs. And with a chamber filled with supporters and critics.

It was a fitting, dramatic end to a stadium pursuit that had long ago gone into extra innings -- 15 years, through three ownership groups.

Original team owner H. Wayne Huizenga, who launched the franchise in 1993, sold the ball club not long after its first title in 1997, in part because he failed to secure a site for a ballpark.

Then John Henry spent years trying to build one downtown on the bay -- before giving up and shelling out more than $700 million for the Boston Red Sox.

Loria said the Marlins have an untenable situation at Dolphin Stadium, with little revenue to the team from concessions or parking or suite sales.

The new ballpark will have 37,000 seats under a retractable roof, with about 60 suites and new parking facilities. The team hopes to take the field on Opening Day 2012.

Play ball: Miami-Dade OK's Florida Marlins stadium - South Florida - MiamiHerald.com

AWESOME news Salsa, congrats!! :up

I also like that they will be called "Miami" instead of "Florida".

Salsa, I thought you were against the new stadium because of your tax dollars having to pay for it? You seem rather chipper today though...

I'm against it because of this reason too. the stadium never filled up after winning two world series. that should tell you something. If a franchise can't make enough money to build their own stadium then they shouldn't be around period!

wise idea....since people in south florida aren't interested enough to go see the marlins play, lets make them pay for the stadium anyway for a team many don't care enough for to go see.

this new stadium will attract people at the beginning but it wont take long for that idea to wear out.

I'm against it because of this reason too. the stadium never filled up after winning two world series. that should tell you something. If a franchise can't make enough money to build their own stadium then they shouldn't be around period!

wise idea....since people in south florida aren't interested enough to go see the marlins play, lets make them pay for the stadium anyway for a team many don't care enough for to go see.

this new stadium will attract people at the beginning but it wont take long for that idea to wear out.

I don't know, Pittsburgh sells a lot of seats, granted not like the Yankees or Red Sox, but for the city with a losing baseball team, they sell a lot of seats.

But IMHO if they don't start winning, bobbleheads and fireworks can only do so much, less people will show up.

I don't know, Pittsburgh sells a lot of seats, granted not like the Yankees or Red Sox, but for the city with a losing baseball team, they sell a lot of seats.

But IMHO if they don't start winning, bobbleheads and fireworks can only do so much, less people will show up.

exactly. this is why i'm saying if winning two world series didn't put butts in those seats, i really don't see this new idea working long term

Salsa, I thought you were against the new stadium because of your tax dollars having to pay for it? You seem rather chipper today though...

IF you looked at my previous post....I WANT baseball in Miami. I think the timing of this is completely bad because of what Dade County needs. I was not neutral....I wanted the best of both worlds really. I think I would have been MORE disappointed but not surprised IF this didn't go through. I HONESTLY think that for a city to me considered WORLD CLASS in the US, you need to have a NFL, NBA and a MLB franchise within you city limits.

And MOST of the tax money is coming from hotel taxes...not property taxes, or some other type of tax that would coming out of Dade County residence pockets.

And MOST of the tax money is coming from hotel taxes...not property taxes, or some other type of tax that would coming out of Dade County residence pockets.

thanks for pointing that out salsa. even though it doesn't affect me as much, i still don't agree with it. i notice you're not 100% on the way it's being handled either.

exactly. this is why i'm saying if winning two world series didn't put butts in those seats, i really don't see this new idea working long term

But if they didn't get the new stadium, there would be even less.

There is something about a new stadium smell.:D

thanks for pointing that out salsa. even though it doesn't affect me as much, i still don't agree with it. i notice you're not 100% on the way it's being handled either.

I am not 100% behind it for two reasons: ONE.... I think owners should build their OWN stadiums because NONE......N-O-N-E....are losing money. They are ALL making money. But that will NEVER, EVER happen. This is one reason while I will NEVER, EVER side with owners on ANY labor issues....you think the players are greedy, the owners are 1000 times WORSE!!!! At least the players PLAY for their money....the owners do NOTHING! The Marlins were going NO WHERE if this didn't pass. WHY? Because the economy is SO bad, there would not be a SINGLE CITY that would take a new team AND build them a new stadium......none!

Oh yeah, "contraction"....NOPE, that will not happen in MLB. WAY TOO MUCH $$$$$ coming in for owners saying NO to free handouts called merchandising and TV rights. It will won't happen. I will not say never...but let's just say not while I am alive. Relocation??!! Maybe...but read my post above.

TWO... The economy is killing everyone...ESPECIALLY south Florida. Our housing values have dropped to around 28%...either 2nd or 3rd in the country. Plus the fact that no one has money to vacation.....and this being a state the lives on tourist dollars? You do the math...... Then there's Dade County public school system...one of the LEAST FUNDED school systems in ALL of the US. The average teacher income is 5 -10% LOWER than other teachers in the US also.

...but damn I love baseball...and damn I am SOOOOO tired of hearing this is ONLY a "football town". The OTHER teams, the Marlins and the Heat, have given MORE championships to this city in the last 12 years than the Dolphins have in DECADES....and people ONLY wanna talk about the stinking Dolphins.....it bothers me to no end....:mad:;) LOL!

spending tax payer money on a stadium is a bad idea...it just about never helps the city economy, and there is no profit to be had in a market where nobody goes to games. I hope another Bank One Ballpark debacle doesn't ensue

Well...dismantling the team sure as hell was not gonna put people in seats either. Wayne the crap stain, NEVER gave the Marlins a fighting chance to defend the World Series in 1997 and neither did the current boob, Loria. Then John Henry had the negociating smoothness of a bull in a china shop and then had the BALLS to say, "I'll build MY OWN STADIUM.....I don't need the county or the state"....we're still waiting on THAT stadium.....:rolleyes: I guess he is gonna build it in some Boston suburb.....LOL!

I am not 100% behind it for two reasons: ONE.... I think owners should build their OWN stadiums because NONE......N-O-N-E....are losing money. They are ALL making money. But that will NEVER, EVER happen. This is one reason while I will NEVER, EVER side with owners on ANY labor issues....you think the players are greedy, the owners are 1000 times WORSE!!!! At least the players PLAY for their money....the owners do NOTHING! The Marlins were going NO WHERE if this didn't pass. WHY? Because the economy is SO bad, there would not be a SINGLE CITY that would take a new team AND build them a new stadium......none!

Oh yeah, "contraction"....NOPE, that will not happen in MLB. WAY TOO MUCH $$$$$ coming in for owners saying NO to free handouts called merchandising and TV rights. It will won't happen. I will not say never...but let's just say not while I am alive. Relocation??!! Maybe...but read my post above.

TWO... The economy is killing everyone...ESPECIALLY south Florida. Our housing values have dropped to around 28%...either 2nd or 3rd in the country. Plus the fact that no one has money to vacation.....and this being a state the lives on tourist dollars? You do the math...... Then there's Dade County public school system...one of the LEAST FUNDED school systems in ALL of the US. The average teacher income is 5 -10% LOWER than other teachers in the US also.

...but damn I love baseball...and damn I am SOOOOO tired of hearing this is ONLY a "football town". The OTHER teams, the Marlins and the Heat, have given MORE championships to this city in the last 12 years than the Dolphins have in DECADES....and people ONLY wanna talk about the stinking Dolphins.....it bothers me to no end....:mad:;) LOL!

i'm with you on everything you posted here. valid points all around. and yes football is still the strongest sport here in south florida. i believe the heat come next in that list. i love basketball. i'm surprised baseball isn't doing better here especially with how much cubans love baseball. :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)