PS3 and Video Problems

cjwct

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Glastonbury, CT
I finally bought a PS3 three weeks ago because I was sick and tired of going from HD movies to SD when watching DVD's. Anyways, with that being said, since it has been hooked up I sometimes get a green screen, digital etching, a black screen, etc. during both games and movies; audio does stay on though. My setup is such: a 51" CRT Hitachi, PS3 hooked up via HDMI to tv for video and optical to receiver for sound. I tried to update the system but its says I have the latest firmware. I say the problem is intermittent and happens 20% of the time. Thanks for any suggestions!

Looks like a handshake issue between Ps3 and the tv. This happened to me with a Samsung LCD a couple of years ago. In my case I got a tv replacement at Sears, and got another model, since it was documented that the tv I was using had that problem. By the way it was with an Xbox 360.

Looks like a handshake issue between Ps3 and the tv. This happened to me with a Samsung LCD a couple of years ago. In my case I got a tv replacement at Sears, and got another model, since it was documented that the tv I was using had that problem. By the way it was with an Xbox 360.

That is quite possible, I had this same issue with a Vizio TV and an upconverting DVD Player at the time. Costco sent someone out to swap the motherboard in the TV and all was right with the world afterwards. I would try the console on another TV set to eliminate if the TV is the issue or not.

That is quite possible, I had this same issue with a Vizio TV and an upconverting DVD Player at the time. Costco sent someone out to swap the motherboard in the TV and all was right with the world afterwards. I would try the console on another TV set to eliminate if the TV is the issue or not.

Yes, what he said.

You may want to just confirm that this is exclusive to your TV and not your PS3. As people recommended, try it on another television for a while and see if the behavior goes away. If you plan on doing any online gaming or stuff that's remotely competitive, you will go CRAZY during those times where you're playing, your screen goes black, then comes back with you laying dead. Also, maybe you could buy a PS3 component cable package and use that in the meantime. It may not be ideal, but you'll still get HD resolution and (hopefully) not have to worry about your screen crapping out on you randomly.

If you happen to have PS2 component cables, allegedly those work with the PS3, so you could try those as well.

I would definitely test it on another TV. It could be the PS3 itself and I'd imagine it's much easier to exchange it during the first 30 days after purchase than to RMA it through Sony in February.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts