Ps3

schapman68

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
I'm going to purchase a PS3 to play my blu-ray movies and wanted to know if the unit is noisy? How loud is the 40G drive and cooling fan? I have a PS2 now and think that is noisy.

I have the 80 gig version. If all else is off in the room and you listen for it you can hear it. If you are watching a movie or anything is on I do not hear it at all.

I beleive that on the 40 Gig unit you will not be able to play your PS2 games. YOu said you have a PS2. The 80 gig unit will. If this is an issue for you you should check out the features since by no means am I an expert.

I have a 40G and its noise level is exactly as Nebugeater described for the 80G. I can also confirm that there is no PS2 software compatibility, and the 40G also only has 2 USB ports. Pretty much everything else is the same as the 80G.

Thanks! I have the PS2 but dont use it. I'm really only concerned about the blu-ray player. This will be used for 99% movies and 1% games. My PS2 has been in the closet for years.

I have the 80 gig version. If all else is off in the room and you listen for it you can hear it. If you are watching a movie or anything is on I do not hear it at all.

I beleive that on the 40 Gig unit you will not be able to play your PS2 games. YOu said you have a PS2. The 80 gig unit will. If this is an issue for you you should check out the features since by no means am I an expert.

I have a 20gig and 80gig, both are quiet, but 80 gig is slightly louder than the 20gig. Neither are loud enough to interfere with any movie I have watched.

I own a release date PS3 (60GB) It doesn't make any noise at all, hardly noticeable.
And I am still on my first PS3 :)
Been working great since I had it.

As long as you keep it ventilated, it will be fine, noise-wise.

Also of note, though, is that it does get louder if playing a standard DVD or PS2 game, I assume because it's "working harder" to do the upconversion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)