Ps3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

schapman68

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
I'm going to purchase a PS3 to play my blu-ray movies and wanted to know if the unit is noisy? How loud is the 40G drive and cooling fan? I have a PS2 now and think that is noisy.

I have the 80 gig version. If all else is off in the room and you listen for it you can hear it. If you are watching a movie or anything is on I do not hear it at all.

I beleive that on the 40 Gig unit you will not be able to play your PS2 games. YOu said you have a PS2. The 80 gig unit will. If this is an issue for you you should check out the features since by no means am I an expert.

I have a 40G and its noise level is exactly as Nebugeater described for the 80G. I can also confirm that there is no PS2 software compatibility, and the 40G also only has 2 USB ports. Pretty much everything else is the same as the 80G.

Thanks! I have the PS2 but dont use it. I'm really only concerned about the blu-ray player. This will be used for 99% movies and 1% games. My PS2 has been in the closet for years.

I have the 80 gig version. If all else is off in the room and you listen for it you can hear it. If you are watching a movie or anything is on I do not hear it at all.

I beleive that on the 40 Gig unit you will not be able to play your PS2 games. YOu said you have a PS2. The 80 gig unit will. If this is an issue for you you should check out the features since by no means am I an expert.

I have a 20gig and 80gig, both are quiet, but 80 gig is slightly louder than the 20gig. Neither are loud enough to interfere with any movie I have watched.

I own a release date PS3 (60GB) It doesn't make any noise at all, hardly noticeable.
And I am still on my first PS3 :)
Been working great since I had it.

As long as you keep it ventilated, it will be fine, noise-wise.

Also of note, though, is that it does get louder if playing a standard DVD or PS2 game, I assume because it's "working harder" to do the upconversion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts