PSA: The Onkyo’s DV-HD805 hd-dvd Player Just A Rebadged Toshiba!!

seminole2001

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Earth
I though that I'd post this public service announcement.....

The forthcoming Onkyo hd-dvd player is nothing more than a re-baged Toshiba

Is Onkyo’s DV-HD805 HD DVD Player Just A Re-badged Toshiba? | Format War Central

Boards....

Onkyo HD805

onkyodvhd805inside-48jm2jomd.jpg

Toshiba HD-XE1 (European version of the XA2)

xa2maininsidebestda0-48jm2xkdn.jpg

Onkyo HD805 Main Board close up

onkyo_dv_hd805_inside_videoplatine_k.jpg

There are two key differences...

(1) The Onkyo model costs several hundred dollars more.

(2) The Onkyo re-badge uses an older Toshiba remote, not the backlit remote from the XA2.

Onkyo HD805 Remote

onkyo_dv_hd805_remote_2.jpg

And for the skeptics out there here is the secondary source. (In German)

PREVIEW: Onkyo HD DVD-Player DV-HD805 (1/2) (16.11.2007)

Without going down to the chip level your post and their article are meaningless. Onkyo could be using more advanced DAC's etc.

Without going down to the chip level your post and their article are meaningless. Onkyo could be using more advanced DAC's etc.

Well could be, but they aren't? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The burden of proof is no longer on me, I have THREE SOURCES. You have a theory, not based on any facts other than the ones in your head! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well could be, but they aren't? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The burden of proof is no longer on me, I have THREE SOURCES. You have a theory, not based on any facts other than the ones in your head! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
You don't have any facts either Sparky. Secure the chip model/ version on both boards and then you will have something.

In the same thread on AVS someone mentioned how an early Onkyo SD DVD player matched an early Toshiba SD DVD player. These two have been in bed awhile.

Hopefully, Denon, Cambridge Audio, Rotel and Lexicon will copy some Toshiba players, too! :D

Given the common specs I would be skeptical about buying the Onkyo. It does seem overpriced given what evidence we have. I am sure that we will hear more on this though.

In fairness however that does not discredit the fomat it just means that this particular player appears to be overpriced.

In fairness however that does not discredit the fomat it just means that this particular player appears to be overpriced.
What does that mean for all those $1k profile 1.0 Blu-Ray players?

You must be kidding...
These specs are probably the same for half the Blu-ray standalones.
Are those identical, too? Except for 3 times the price, of course...

No, the $1k profile 1.0 Blu-Ray players ldon't even PiP decoding capabilities. Many even lack Ethernet ports. Come on. $1k for a computer w/o a built-in Ethernet jack in 2007? :rolleyes:

Well fior one thing it could mean that a lot of consumer electronics is overpriced.

In this case though I am a bit surprised. Early word was that this player would use a different audio processor but i would have expected that would lead to different ado specs---or that if it did not the price differential would be less.

Like I said i a m skeptical about this palyer but that does not mean that ll HD DVD is somehow inferior to BD.

You must be kidding...
These specs are probably the same for half the Blu-ray standalones.
Are those identical, too? Except for 3 times the price, of course...:p

And I thought JoeSp is the champion in Blu-spin... Silly me.:)

Diogen.
:up:up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts