Question about AM21

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

detroit_fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
SE Michigan
I have a couple questions about the AM21. I live in MI, 30 miles south of Detroit, so I get the Detroit locals with my Directv service. But I am actually only about 15 miles north of Toledo, and their weather and news is better coverage of my town, so I would like to receive their channels too.

I have an outdoor antenna that picks up Toledo stations, can I buy and AM21, hook that antenna to it and enter Toledo as my zip and receive the Toledo channels on my HDDVR(not HR34)?

My other question, is where can I find a list of what Toledo channels the AM21 will support? I know Directv quit adding new channels, but is there a way to see what ones out of Toeldo they do support?

Thanks for any help.

Yes, you can enter two zip codes to get alternate markets via OTA (or you can do detroit as well for any OTA only stations).

Here is what will have guide data and be viewable via the AM21 on HR2x for Toledo market:
698 WTOLDT 11.1
698 WTOLDT2 11.2
698 WTOLDT3 11.3
698 WTVGDT 13.1
698 WTVGDT2 13.2
698 WTVGDT3 13.3
698 WNWODT 24.1
698 WNWODT2 24.2
698 WGTEDT 30.1
698 WGTEDT2 30.2
698 WGTEDT3 30.3
698 WUPWDT 36.1
698 WUPWDT2 36.2
698 WLMBDT 40.1

Yes, you can enter two zip codes to get alternate markets via OTA (or you can do detroit as well for any OTA only stations).

Here is what will have guide data and be viewable via the AM21 on HR2x for Toledo market:
698 WTOLDT 11.1
698 WTOLDT2 11.2
698 WTOLDT3 11.3
698 WTVGDT 13.1
698 WTVGDT2 13.2
698 WTVGDT3 13.3
698 WNWODT 24.1
698 WNWODT2 24.2
698 WGTEDT 30.1
698 WGTEDT2 30.2
698 WGTEDT3 30.3
698 WUPWDT 36.1
698 WUPWDT2 36.2
698 WLMBDT 40.1

Thank you very much, I have no idea why it took me 11 years with D* for me to realize this.

Detroit fan,
Your set up with the AM21 should work nicely...
I am in Sylvania and do the same thing, except the other way around, I get the Toledo locals and use the am21 and OTA antenna to pick up the Detroit channels.

Detroit fan,
Your set up with the AM21 should work nicely...
I am in Sylvania and do the same thing, except the other way around, I get the Toledo locals and use the am21 and OTA antenna to pick up the Detroit channels.

I'm in Monroe so we are pretty close. Do you use the AM21 to get the Toledo sub-channels that D* does not give you? I am excited to get ME TV 11.2 and RetroTV 24.2

with the AM21 you can plug in 2 zip codes so you should put in a detroit zip if you want the subchannels from there too

here are the detroit stations in the database
WJBKDT 2.1
WDIVDT 4.1
WDIVDT2 4.2 <----this TV
WXYZDT 7.1
WXYZDT2 7.2 <----livewell
WXYZDT3 7.3
WMYDDT 20.1
WMYDDT2 20.2 <---thecooltv
WPXDDT 31.1
WPXDDT2 31.2 <---qubo
WPXDDT3 31.3 <--ionlife
WPXDDT4 31.4
WADLDT 38.1
WADLDT2 38.2 <---antennaTV
WKBDDT 50.1
WTVSDT 56.1
WTVSDT2 56.2 <---pbs encore
WTVSDT3 56.3 <---create
WWJDT 62.1

As example I have Minneapolis as my "main" (for the subchannels that D* doesnt carry + station in HD that D* has only in SD)
My secondary is Mankato (70 miles down the road)...I get the CBS ("moved") but not the Fox subchannel (only stations in the market)

What I do with the Minneapolis ones after plugging in the zipcodes is you can edit stations out so they dont show in the list (all channels). I do that with the HD stations I get from D* directly. So as example for you if you plugged in both zips it would show
4 WDIV (from satellite)
4-2 WDIVDT2 (from OTA)

the OTA is a lighter color in the guide

with the AM21 you can plug in 2 zip codes so you should put in a detroit zip if you want the subchannels from there too

here are the detroit stations in the database
WJBKDT 2.1
WDIVDT 4.1
WDIVDT2 4.2 <----this TV
WXYZDT 7.1
WXYZDT2 7.2 <----livewell
WXYZDT3 7.3
WMYDDT 20.1
WMYDDT2 20.2 <---thecooltv
WPXDDT 31.1
WPXDDT2 31.2 <---qubo
WPXDDT3 31.3 <--ionlife
WPXDDT4 31.4
WADLDT 38.1
WADLDT2 38.2 <---antennaTV
WKBDDT 50.1
WTVSDT 56.1
WTVSDT2 56.2 <---pbs encore
WTVSDT3 56.3 <---create
WWJDT 62.1

Yeah i was hoping to get the Detroit sub channels too, especially AntennaTV, but my antenna is directional, the rotor has no wires going to it and it's 30 feet in the air. Since it's pointing the wrong direction the Detroit stations aren't coming in good on OTA so I don't think I will be able to get them. I will definitely try though. I'm really happy METV and RetroTV out of Toledo are supported on the AM21 by D* though, at least I can get some old shows that way.

^^^
If I recall, they're purely cosmetic N is matte finish vs the glossy piano finish of the original.

Yeah i was hoping to get the Detroit sub channels too, especially AntennaTV, but my antenna is directional, the rotor has no wires going to it and it's 30 feet in the air. Since it's pointing the wrong direction the Detroit stations aren't coming in good on OTA so I don't think I will be able to get them. I will definitely try though. I'm really happy METV and RetroTV out of Toledo are supported on the AM21 by D* though, at least I can get some old shows that way.

bummer. yeah I know about your antenna situation but I thought maybe Detroit would work too

Here is a visualization of what Iceberg was posting: The channels with no -1, etc are directv locals, the others with the -1, etc are from the AM21. Directv gives me 10 locals. With the AM21, I get 41 total! downsized_0721122151.jpg

As example I have Minneapolis as my "main" (for the subchannels that D* doesnt carry + station in HD that D* has only in SD)
My secondary is Mankato (70 miles down the road)...I get the CBS ("moved") but not the Fox subchannel (only stations in the market)

What I do with the Minneapolis ones after plugging in the zipcodes is you can edit stations out so they dont show in the list (all channels). I do that with the HD stations I get from D* directly. So as example for you if you plugged in both zips it would show
4 WDIV (from satellite)
4-2 WDIVDT2 (from OTA)

the OTA is a lighter color in the guide
It's slightly different here ....
The D* provided channels are in White print with a greyed out background, while the OTA channels are in a Light Blue on a Black background.

What channel is "AntennaTV out of Detroit ?
I'll see if I can get it from here.

ok, thanks

I was hoping so too. I may try to install a dual antenna set up in the near future, but going to try this first and see what i get.

IF you put up a new antenna, make sure to get a rotor for it.

I've got a Radio Shack (Winegard ?) antenna at the peak of the house with a rotor in all it's probably 30 ft in the air.

With digital channels, height it EVERYTHING.

I believe when I run the OTA antenna set up with both markets I get about 42 channels OTA, I have since edited it to 33.

Here is a visualization of what Iceberg was posting: The channels with no -1, etc are directv locals, the others with the -1, etc are from the AM21. Directv gives me 10 locals. With the AM21, I get 41 total! View attachment 79389

Thanks, that is a lot of locals.

Yes, I watch 11.2 ME TV often Retro, not so much, unfortunately neither is broadcast in HD.

Yeah I am really looking forward to METV

What channel is "AntennaTV out of Detroit ?
I'll see if I can get it from here.

IF you put up a new antenna, make sure to get a rotor for it.

I've got a Radio Shack (Winegard ?) antenna at the peak of the house with a rotor in all it's probably 30 ft in the air.

With digital channels, height it EVERYTHING.

I believe when I run the OTA antenna set up with both markets I get about 42 channels OTA, I have since edited it to 33.

Yeah when I do it I am just going to replace everything. new rotor and antenna

Here is a visualization of what Iceberg was posting: The channels with no -1, etc are directv locals, the others with the -1, etc are from the AM21. Directv gives me 10 locals. With the AM21, I get 41 total! View attachment 79389

thanks for posting that. I was trying to find a pic of mine but all I could find was the pic of the HR34 showing all the stations (including the ones "Scanned in")

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)