Question about AM21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What channel is "AntennaTV out of Detroit ?
I'll see if I can get it from here.

38-2 per the database on the D* file (and confirmed on the rabbitears site)

here are the detroit stations in the database
WJBKDT 2.1
WDIVDT 4.1
WDIVDT2 4.2 <----this TV
WXYZDT 7.1
WXYZDT2 7.2 <----livewell
WXYZDT3 7.3
WMYDDT 20.1
WMYDDT2 20.2 <---thecooltv
WPXDDT 31.1
WPXDDT2 31.2 <---qubo
WPXDDT3 31.3 <--ionlife
WPXDDT4 31.4
WADLDT 38.1
WADLDT2 38.2 <---antennaTV
WKBDDT 50.1
WTVSDT 56.1
WTVSDT2 56.2 <---pbs encore
WTVSDT3 56.3 <---create
WWJDT 62.1

their tower is in Mt Clemens so it may be tougher in Toledo unless you got a pretty good size antenna
http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=602312&map=Y

38-2 per the database on the D* file (and confirmed on the rabbitears site)

here are the detroit stations in the database
WJBKDT 2.1
WDIVDT 4.1
WDIVDT2 4.2 <----this TV
WXYZDT 7.1
WXYZDT2 7.2 <----livewell
WXYZDT3 7.3
WMYDDT 20.1
WMYDDT2 20.2 <---thecooltv
WPXDDT 31.1
WPXDDT2 31.2 <---qubo
WPXDDT3 31.3 <--ionlife
WPXDDT4 31.4
WADLDT 38.1
WADLDT2 38.2 <---antennaTV
WKBDDT 50.1
WTVSDT 56.1
WTVSDT2 56.2 <---pbs encore
WTVSDT3 56.3 <---create
WWJDT 62.1

their tower is in Mt Clemens so it may be tougher in Toledo unless you got a pretty good size antenna
RabbitEars.Info

38.2 is antenna tv ?
What is 38.1 ?

I took 38.1/2 out of my OTA channels probably because I got the same type thing on the Toledo channels, so I'm not sure if I can get it on the antenna or not, I do remember it showing up though.

Of the Detroit channels I get from Toledo, channel 50 seems to be the hardest for me to keep in.
That said, theres not much on it anymore that I think I would watch anyways.
They use to have the Red Wings at one time I remember.

Iceberg mentions a good point that I don't think we alerted the OP to - if you have an HR34 receiver, it will scan for ALL channels, making null and void the issue of missing channels. From what I understand, there is no actual guide data, though. I have considered getting an HR34 JUST for that reason, but I am lucky and am only missing 4 channels. 1 of them is a repeat so if doesn't effect me, 1 is a shopping/country music video channel (not TCN, which I have twice), and there are missing 2 TCT network channels. I wouldn't mind TCT Family on there, but I can deal. I would also be able to add the few channels from Virginia I can get since I can only add 2 DMAs. Who really needs 55 local channels and 4 ABC affiliates? (Other than people who frequent these forums!)

38.2 is antenna tv ?
What is 38.1 ?
it says independent but it looks like they show infomercials and some programs form both AntennaTV & MeTV. I see Addams Family, Munsters, Hogans Heroes during the day and mainly black comedies at night (Cosby, Parkers, Girlfriends)...I just put in a detroit zip on zap2it (selected OTA) and just looked

Of the Detroit channels I get from Toledo, channel 50 seems to be the hardest for me to keep in.
180,000 watts versus the other "main" stations on UHF are way higher
4 is at 875000 watts
7 is at 1 million watts
62 is at 450000 watts

also antenna heights is about 200 feet higher on those 3 versus 50. I am exempting Fox 2 as its on VHF HIgh (7)
All are at same tower between Farmington Hills and Warren

Iceberg mentions a good point that I don't think we alerted the OP to - if you have an HR34 receiver, it will scan for ALL channels, making null and void the issue of missing channels. From what I understand, there is no actual guide data, though. I have considered getting an HR34 JUST for that reason, but I am lucky and am only missing 4 channels. 1 of them is a repeat so if doesn't effect me, 1 is a shopping/country music video channel (not TCN, which I have twice), and there are missing 2 TCT network channels. I wouldn't mind TCT Family on there, but I can deal. I would also be able to add the few channels from Virginia I can get since I can only add 2 DMAs. Who really needs 55 local channels and 4 ABC affiliates? (Other than people who frequent these forums!)
the OP mentions not having a HR34 but yeah the HR34 scans for channels so I "added" MeTV, thisTV, Country Network and about 18 religious stations (those are all low powered)
MeTV and ThisTV I do set manual recordings for.

it says independent but it looks like they show infomercials and some programs form both AntennaTV & MeTV. I see Addams Family, Munsters, Hogans Heroes during the day and mainly black comedies at night (Cosby, Parkers, Girlfriends)...I just put in a detroit zip on zap2it (selected OTA) and just looked

180,000 watts versus the other "main" stations on UHF are way higher
4 is at 875000 watts
7 is at 1 million watts
62 is at 450000 watts

also antenna heights is about 200 feet higher on those 3 versus 50. I am exempting Fox 2 as its on VHF HIgh (7)
All are at same tower between Farmington Hills and Warren

That definitely explains channel 50 being hard to get.
2 is also an iffy one for me, but keep in mind, I'm 60 miles south of Detroit ...

the OP mentions not having a HR34 but yeah the HR34 scans for channels so I "added" MeTV, thisTV, Country Network and about 18 religious stations (those are all low powered)
MeTV and ThisTV I do set manual recordings for.
Iceberg do you have any problems with manual recordings on channels with no guide info? Here in Colorado Springs CO our CW HD channel is low power ch 57.1 and not included in DTV guide unless I want the SD version ch 21.2 I used to be able to have recurring manual recordings set but now I just get "a unexpected error has occurred recording was cancelled" msg when I check recording history. I have already reset receiver and deleted and re-added the manual recordings and still same error. After reading this thread I am deleted OTA channels and re-scanning tonight and will retry manual recordings. If you have any other thoughts they would be appreciated.
Thanks Frank

Iceberg do you have any problems with manual recordings on channels with no guide info? Here in Colorado Springs CO our CW HD channel is low power ch 57.1 and not included in DTV guide unless I want the SD version ch 21.2 I used to be able to have recurring manual recordings set but now I just get "a unexpected error has occurred recording was cancelled" msg when I check recording history. I have already reset receiver and deleted and re-added the manual recordings and still same error. After reading this thread I am deleted OTA channels and re-scanning tonight and will retry manual recordings. If you have any other thoughts they would be appreciated.
Thanks Frank

Where can I get the DirecTV AM21 tuners? If I had a AM21 tuner and using a outdoor long-range antenna with pre-amp, My market is Greenville, SC (29646) for example and should I put a Saluda, SC zip code (29138) which is part of the Columbia, SC DMA, or Edgefield, SC (29824) which is part of the Augusta, GA DMA as my second zip code?

Where can I get the DirecTV AM21 tuners? If I had a AM21 tuner and using a outdoor long-range antenna with pre-amp, My market is Greenville, SC (29646) for example and should I put a Saluda, SC zip code (29138) which is part of the Columbia, SC DMA, or Edgefield, SC (29824) which is part of the Augusta, GA DMA as my second zip code?

You can add both zip codes and have locals from both markets. You can get an AM21 from Directv or a local retailer. My AM21 came with my Directv set up when it was installed through a retailer.

directv.com
go into your account and if I remember right its under receivers then accessories
$50 + sales tax shipped

Thanks Frank
I use to with the national release. I'm on a CE release but I havent recorded anything manually recently. Maybe I'll try again :)

Just ordered an AM21 today(Monday) :) I can't wait to get it :) Yes Ice it was $54.25 total :) I wonder how long it takes to get it from Directv :)

you will have it by end of week....usually takes like 3-4 days
54.25 sounds about right with tax (must be more tax in STL than in MPLS) :)

Now when you get it set up is simple (I assume this is going on the HR34?)
unplug the power cable from the back of the receiver (not the outlet)
on the AM21 there is a "pigtail" power cord....plug that into the HR34
plug the USB cable from the AM21 to the HR34
plug the power cord (the one that was in the HR34 when you started) into the AM21.

The AM21 blue light stays on all the time
The HR34 should start booting up
Once its booted up completely (and you have a TV picture) go into the setup menus. Where it says "Sat and antenna"
(now the rest is kinda foggy as I'm not near my HR34)
antenna setup
initial setup is what you need
plug in your zip
it thinks for a good minute + and should say (If I remember right you are in St Louis market) "your zipcode is in the St Louis Market"
You can add a 2nd zip (if you get stations from another market)...if not say OK
It will load the guide info
then it will show a list of ALL channels it picked up (remember the HR34 can scan) even the low powered religious
You can uncheck the ones you dont need and they wont show in any list. As example I remove all the -1 stations that D* has in HD (like CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, FOX) but that is up to you. I also remove all the low powered religious stations

The guide will show for only the stations that are in the database (dammit I know I posted it before for STL but ant find the post) and any "additions" show "Regular Programming" for the guide. Those require manual timers

**whew** there ya go :)

edit: found that post with the list....was in a CE thread ;)

btw here is the st. louis channels in the database
KTVIDT 2.1
KMOVDT 4.1
KMOVDT2 4.2
KSDKDT 5.1
KSDKDT2 5.2
KETCDT 9.1
KETCDT2 9.2
KETCDT3 9.3
KETCDT4 9.4
KPLRDT 11.1
KPLRDT2 11.2
WPXSDT 13.1
WPXSDT2 13.2
KNLCDT 24.1
KNLCDT2 24.2
KDNLDT 30.1
WRBUDT 46.1

the rest would need to be scanned in with the hr34 which it does automatically...which are
2-2 Antenna TV
30-2 CoolTV
30-3 Country
46-2 MeTV

Thanks Ice I really appreciate it :) I thought about hooking it up to my HR24-200 since they did the update a couple weeks back where locals are in the guide and then get anther one to hook up to the HR34 :) I am still debating though :)Yes you did post it before but the instructions you gave me for the HR34 I appreciate for setting it up :)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts