OTHER Question about using a Directv Satellite Dish with a FTA reciever.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Route66Fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 7, 2019
Missouri
Hi, This is my first post on Satellite Guys. I was wondering if it's possible to use a Directv Satellite Dish with a FTA reciever. I've got a Directv Satellite Dish (I think it's one of those oval shaped "Slimline" ones.). I would like to be able to (At least.) recieve channels like Heroes & Icons & Decades, plus other diginets I cannot recieve over-the-air, also, I would like to know if any of the FTA receivers listed here are any good. I have read elsewhere that some have been able to get Directv (As well as Dish Network.) Satellite Dishes to work with FTA receivers, but I wanted to get your all's opinion. Thank you.

Reactions: c-spand
If you’re looking to get diginets on fta you will need a c band dish 6-8 ft minimum. You might be able to use a slimline dish to get some ku band programming , you will have to change the lnb and make a bracket for it. You could be able to get some of the strongest signals on 103w and 97w.

This is the Satellite Dish that I have.
20191207_151120.jpg

I used one for a while, its size is definitely a limiting factor. I mostly used it on 30W, it was good for casual reception of the stronger transponders (Cuba, Arab league, Spain), but insufficient for the weaker transponders (Argentina, Uruguay). I also briefly used it on 34.5W Ku, but it would loose signal at the slightest rain.

So based on that, I would say that it should be ok for 95W CCTV/CGTN, and for NHK/RT/CGTN on 103W. It should also work quite well for KBS on 123W. As for 97W it should work ok, but might have interference problems on some transponders as 95W and 99W are quite powerful. (I had such problems with reception of 2M-monde and Canal Algérie). It might work for PBS on 87W and maybe even on 125W, but probably not reliably

You would probably receive other channels and satellites, but those would likely be very marginal receptions

in all cases, expect to lose receptions during heavy snow or heavy rain, as the limited size won't allow for much margin for signal degradation

In summary:

As etlam34 pointed out, you're probably not going to find your OTA channels (aka "diginets") on Ku band FTA. Investing in a better OTA setup (more height, more gain) may be more fruitful.

While the Slimline is the largest (22.5" high x 32.5" wide) pay TV dish currently deployed in the continental US (CONUS) for English language programming, it isn't particularly well-suited to reliable FTA use where a 30" "round" single focus dish is probably a practical minimum and 36" or greater is recommended.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
This is what I started with however I only bothered with KU. I know I got at least 87,91,95,97,103 and 105 with it. I posted a lengthy overview at Rick's about my experience. If you really want to try, I got the cheapest Amazon LNB just for prime fast delivery and spent all of a few bucks on it all.

This was my temp LNB mount until I got a conduit bracket.
55563343_1513927008744367_4726218859042832384_n.jpeg

I would spring for an Android box if I could like a Mio 4k, too far out of my reach.

Beware the cheaper boxes as they can work but they're plagued with bugs such as my box and other not so FTA functions.

Alternatively if you have a PC a tuner card like TBS cards, it can open a new window for entertainment.

If I had bought my box as opposed to having it gave to me I probably would have got a handheld satellite finder with tv output options. It'll help phenomenally too when you're setting it up and tuning. Then when you're done just pop it onto a TV.

I would spring for an Android box if I could like a Mio 4k, too far out of my reach.

Beware the cheaper boxes as they can work but they're plagued with bugs such as my box and other not so FTA functions.

Alternatively if you have a PC a tuner card like TBS cards, it can open a new window for entertainment.

If I had bought my box as opposed to having it gave to me I probably would have got a handheld satellite finder with tv output options. It'll help phenomenally too when you're setting it up and tuning. Then when you're done just pop it onto a TV.

Which PC card do you use?

Nothing special really. It's a Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2, it was $20 on eBay I believe. It's older though and doesn't support anything past S2 signals.

It's sort of plug and play, you have to specify FEC rate and maybe modulation because it won't scan those for whatever reason. There also isn't any blindscan functionality.

TSReader worked once with it but now I have to put the stream over UDP to get the info. I don't mind all of the tinkering but I know some people including me just want something that works right out of the box.

I got it to get the 103w and 91w radio channels but I guess the SR is too low for it to lock NPR.

I used it for a little while with TVHeadend when 65w had Weathernation and other H.265 my box can't do. The neat thing with this was I have a VPN into my network so I could view or listen while out and about. It was nice to use with 103w abundance of music.

It also let me show a few people what FTA is in a sense. I loved showing those NC channels because they'd never seen the inner workings before a field report.
Which PC card do you use?

Reactions: comfortably_numb
This is what I started with however I only bothered with KU. I know I got at least 87,91,95,97,103 and 105 with it. I posted a lengthy overview at Rick's about my experience. If you really want to try, I got the cheapest Amazon LNB just for prime fast delivery and spent all of a few bucks on it all.

This was my temp LNB mount until I got a conduit bracket.View attachment 142218

Where can I find the overview at?

Reactions: c-spand

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts