question re: distant locals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bradfordj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 18, 2009
CA
I've heard that if you change your Dish service address to another city you can receive that city's local channels. Can someone clarify this hypothetically.

1. If one changes their service address online will that work or do you have to call and talk to customer service to get the locals.

2. How long does it take for the changes to take effect via the online route? I assume you can log back online and move back.

3. Does Dish verify the address is legit before the changes go in effect?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You just can't "move" to any DMA that you want. Most locals are on spot beams (there are exceptions), so you must be within the spot beam to receive them. Channels, the satellite and the spot beams they are carried on, and the spot beam maps are at The List: SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription List Home Generally, you might be able to move to an adjoining DMA or two, but that's about all. Tell us where you live and where you want to move and people here can help you or do a search for move and you'll see lots of threads on the subject.

You can do an online chat or call and the new locals are available almost immediately and certainly within a few minutes. Dish does not verify the address unless for some reason they decide to audit you unless the address does not exist. You need a valid address. You cannot just make one up. Most use a commercial addy and add an apartment number or somesuch. I've never been able to change a service address online, only by chat or by a phone call. I would not recommend making a habit of moving and moving back on a frequent basis as you're asking for trouble.

Most spots only cover about 250 miles around the dma, some are larger and some are smaller, I know of one where the beam being used doesn't even cover the entire dma area. You may be able to pull in the signal on the edge by using a larger dish. If the signal is boarderline, you can expect a lot of outages at times when the signal would be weakened by weather and other obstructions.

The other option is to pay through the nose to all american direct and get la or chicago hd feeds if that is what you are looking for. I am in the Rochester NY DMA and it seems that we are not going to get HD LIL any time soon. I could "move" to Buffalo but my wife likes the Rochester networks. I can either add TW lifeline for $14 or AAD for $28. I will probably add AAD but not until Fall because the Major networks are still in reruns.

If you guys could answer this for me it would be fantastic.

I currently live in the Los Angeles DMA, with a zip code of 90254.

What local markets could I "move to"

Is chicago on Conus?

I am looking to get far east as possible so that I can watch shows at their earlier eastern time zone.

Thanks ahead for the responses.

What is 250 miles east of you that is about as far as you can move before the spot beam problem catches up with you. I believe you woul still be in mountain/pacific time zone.

I'm in Sacramento DMA with a zip code of 95678. What could I get. I was hoping for an east coast feed (possibly a top 10 market) with HD newscasts.

Chi town

It is listed as a Conus but not sure if it will stay that way. You will need to look at the list and see what transponder & sat that it is on and see if you have strong enough signal to pick it up. I have found in the past that it is easier just to call and give them the new service address and make sure that you billing address stays the same. I don't know about using the chat but it might work.

To my knowledge Chicago HD is spotbeamed along with all the other cities on 110-119 and 129. 77 and 118 offer conus HD, but you can run into other problems!

Depends what you want to watch and , just try it , but no phone line, no PPV. The zip code is the whole deal. Sports can work great, Just move and then move back. I know people who have be living in other markets for years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)