Question re: Harmony remote and Tivo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Seabow

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
I'm thinking of getting the Harmony 880 remote. Does anyone know if the Harmony (or any of those expensive universal remotes) can handle EVERY function of a Tivo or HD TV remote. For example, the 30 second skip button on Tivo. Also, my old SD Directv receiver has a 'Who' button to easily switch between profiles. My plasma TV remote has aspect ratio buttons, etc. If I lay out 200 bucks for a remote, I want it to be able to do EVERY function possible on any of my remotes that it will replace. Is that possible with a universal remote?

Harmony is a great remote. TIVO, TV, DVD recorder, receiver, CD changer are all set on my 568 and the wife loves it too. Very user friendly.

There is a rebate for $50 on some units till April 25th, I saw a link somewhere on this forum.

Seabow said:
I'm thinking of getting the Harmony 880 remote.
Have you looked at the 676? I have 3 Harmony's (659, 2-676's, and an 880) and the 676's are my favorites. I bought the 880 because it was new and looked cool. But for me, the 676's are more functional and easier to use.

Hey guys, thanks for the info.

I decided to go with the 659, just because I got it for cheap. I went to a Circuit City outlet store. They had it for $149. I asked the sales person why are they selling the remote for retail in an outlet store?!!! He asked me if I could get it anywhere else for cheaper. I told him that Costco sells it for $94. He went online to confirm and then he offered me the remote for $84. So I bought it!

Anyway, I programmed the remote to replace my TV, DVD, Receiver and Tivo remotes. Works great! Like you said, It can do all the functions, even the 30 sec skip. The only thing I don't like is that you have to press a couple of buttons to get at some of the functions (like the 30 sec skip), whereas it's a single button press on the regular remote.

Is there a simple way of customizing the buttons so that I can use a single button for a specific function?

I wish u would have said u wanted a 659 I have one in the box for 50 bucks plus shipping I used it for a few months is all I got the 676 also because I didn't like the TIVO buttons on the bottom of the remote.

Another Harmony 880 fan here. We love it. The Harmony can handle any of it with any TiVo, but a few things might require a call to customer service at Logitech. For instance, I have an HR10-250 and an R10 side by side-they use an identical remote. I programmed them with separate remote addresses , but there was no online way to set the Harmony with a new remote address for each, so I called and they did the change at Logitech and then I just did a download update. Took about three minutes. Magic, and great customer service. Works perfectly.:)

One remote to rule them all.

I have the Harmony 880 and love it. But with the HR10-250 it can't seem to do a Previous Channel even though it's assigned. Does anybody have this working?

Harmony

dcwebman said:
I have the Harmony 880 and love it. But with the HR10-250 it can't seem to do a Previous Channel even though it's assigned. Does anybody have this working?

I have the 885 and the enter key works just fine for previous channel on my HR10-250.....

dcwebman said:

Just use the ENTER key to toggle between previous channels (just like you would on the original peanut remote).

I couldn't get the PREV key to do that either - maybe if you reprogrammed the PREV key as another ENTER key it would work?

Mike

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)