Questions about dish i scored

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sathunt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
VA
I have been eyeing a dish on our local pharmacy for about a month. Went yesterday and asked about it, got in touch w/ owner today. They let me have it for free :) ,providing I took away the base and the concrete block holding it down. No problem there! Although I didn't know until I went on the roof to get it, that it was fiberglass. It measures 40" wide by 43 1/2" tall. It doesnt have any markings for a name, other than on the lnbf. Question is, how well will it work being fiberglass? And will the lnbf work w/ my MicroHD, providing lnbf isn't fried? Pictures posted in a thread below. I have it leaned up against my BUD, thats the shadow on it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Your pictures don't work.

I would think it's probably a Prodelin dish, fiberglass dishes are typically better, more stable, and have a stronger signal than a metal dish. The lnb should work fine with the MicroHD, it's just a matter of setting the right LO for it. Which is most likely 10750.

Yep. Prodelin or Andrew (Channel Master).
A 1m commercial dish like that is often used for Muzak.
If so, it might have a single polarity LNB.
But that's all a guess; proper pictures will solve the mystery.

Other than being a bit heavy for motorizing, you have one of the best 1m dishes available.

Sorry about the pictures. Went on the mobile site this time and tried loading. Thanks.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130209_143414.png
    ForumRunner_20130209_143414.png
    175.3 KB · Views: 218
  • ForumRunner_20130209_143440.png
    ForumRunner_20130209_143440.png
    173.8 KB · Views: 243
  • ForumRunner_20130209_143458.png
    ForumRunner_20130209_143458.png
    171.1 KB · Views: 220
  • ForumRunner_20130209_143517.png
    ForumRunner_20130209_143517.png
    182.4 KB · Views: 221
  • ForumRunner_20130209_143549.png
    ForumRunner_20130209_143549.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 217
That's the weirdest Prodelin setup I've ever seen.
The wagon wheel spokes on the rear of the dish identify it.
Might be a dual polarity LNB.
Very nice fixed mount.
Hook it up. Should work as is.

Well its works. Don't think I am aligned properly for 97w tho. Hit tv and radio channels. Not sure which sat. Was only getting horizontal. Adjusted skew and got vertical. Tv is: 12121/H/30000. Radio: 12121/H/30000, 11705/H/3649. It listed same TP numbers for vertical.

Nice find! Single polarity LNB. Stick a normal FTA lnb on it. But keep that LNB/feed. Could put a C-120 flange style LNB (Invacom QPF) on the feed. Or onto an orthomode waveguide w/ 2 LNB's and a multiswitch. There's always options.
Don't know what sat you're on. (????) not G19, that's for sure.

Tuned 97w but no sound :(. Tuned 3 other sats and I had sound on all of them, but not on 97. Quality at 75%

@ FatAir. I believe you are correct about it being single polarity tho. Its showing TPs being vertical, but they are the same #s as the horizontal #s. Would a normal FTA lnb work at the same focal depth? Or would I need to modify lnb hanger to maximize Quality?

What other sats do you all recommend setting up a fixed dish for?

For very good results, put on a SatAV PLL LNBF.
(low cost)

For superior results, find the best LNB you can, and mate it to the existing feedhorn.
(more trouble, much more cost)

I've been wanting to modify a SatAV PLL LNBF into an LNB for this very task, but my machinist has been difficult.
Dont wait for me.
See suggestions above by Fat Air (Invacom pretty expensive).

PS: I can't get 30west out here on the west coast, but you can.
I'd set that up on a fixed dish, at least 'till I decided if I liked it or not.

Last edited:
How do I go about mating lnb to existing feedhorn? The good thind here is, I can be my own machinist :). I am a welder/pipefitter by trade, so I have access to the tools to make my anything I need ;).

1st choice: SatAV PLL lnbf
2nd choice: find/buy an LNB or ortho that'll bolt right on to your feedhorn.
Fat Air listed several choice$. ;)

For superior results, find the best LNB you can, and mate it to the existing feedhorn.

Very true! The existing feedhorn is very important as it is matched to the dish. I have tried replacing the lnb with a regular lnb and could never get the same strength signal as with the original feedhorn.

Last edited:
How do I go about mating lnb to existing feedhorn? The good thind here is, I can be my own machinist :). I am a welder/pipefitter by trade, so I have access to the tools to make my anything I need ;).
remake the bracket that holds the lnb to fit a 40mm throat but make the part that bolts to the arms slotted instead of a hole so you can make adjustments.
your feed looks like a 75 wr flange and the Invacom QPF LNB with C-120 flange style will not match up for the best performance.
good luck

Thanks all. Just an update. Had to set my LO to 11250 and I got sound on 97w. Still only pulling in horizontal tho. Will have to work on making that new bracket.

Had to set my LO to 11250 and I got sound on 97w
Now that just don't make sense.[??????????] All that should do is make it display the transponder frequencies 500Mhz different than actual. L.O. has nothing to do with sound PIDs. :confused:
But then again, I've heard, and used, the 'whatever works' once and a while.

Lol yea that's kinda what I was thinking, but that is the only thing I did different was change the LO and it pulled in sound. Also tuned 125w today on 11250 LO, and it worked fine (horizontals). My son enjoyed the cartoons on PBS :)

that same flange that youy can bolt up to can reuse a an old superdish lnb to it. I reused a an old prodlein dish look up the thread "need info on this dish"

Dan Rose

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts