Questions about Genie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rlc323

Original poster
May 25, 2011
Illinois
I currently have the HR-23 700 and a couple of H21's a 100 and a 200 model. All coax wired to a Slimline 3 dish.

My wife got all worked up about the new Genie commercial and called to have it installed. The installer is coming Thursday.

I have a few questions about the client deal with the Genie. I understand that they are sending a new DVR receiver and the clients work off of it. Does this mean I will no longer need my two H21's for my bedroom and den TV's? Do the clients take the place of my coax wired and then B Band converted H21's?

Thanks

They will swap out the LNB to a SWM setup (since the Genie only uses that). This will eliminate some wiring (especially from the dish to inside)

The clients work off the Genie and could replace the H21's. However if you want to keep them instead you can. The differences are minor
-clients use one of the Genies 5 tuners...the H21's dont (they use their own tuner)
-clients would give you full DVR capability..the H21's as they are right now dont (you can hit record on the program then have full dvr capability)
-Both could view programs recorded from the Genie
The pricing is still the same ($6 a month)

So I guess it comes down to do you record enough to warrant not grabbing a tuner from the Genie all the time for the clients?

Personally the lag from the client (to be expected since it is essentially a remote viewing of the genie) is enough for me to want to keep the h21s. Or better yet move the hr23 to another room and replace one of the h21s with a genie, then youll have 5tuners, 2 tuners, (7recording) and then the 8th would be for an h21.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

They will swap out the LNB to a SWM setup (since the Genie only uses that). This will eliminate some wiring (especially from the dish to inside)

The clients work off the Genie and could replace the H21's. However if you want to keep them instead you can. The differences are minor
-clients use one of the Genies 5 tuners...the H21's dont (they use their own tuner)
-clients would give you full DVR capability..the H21's as they are right now dont (you can hit record on the program then have full dvr capability)
The pricing is still the same ($6 a month)

So I guess it comes down to do you record enough to warrant not grabbing a tuner from the Genie all the time for the clients?
So you are saying for the client mini, there is no need for a coaxial cable from dish? Also does the mini do High Def?

as of right now the mini client uses coax. Yes it does HD

Because the OP mentions the BBC connector and "All coax wired to a Slimline 3 dish" he has the old style dish with 4 outputs. The SWM only needs one cable from the dish to the splitter inside.
I just made a note that the outside cables will look much neater with only one cable instead of 4.

Thanks for the help. I expect I will keep at least one of my H21's as I use it with a spare Slimline 3 dish I bought for our camper. I did not realize that they would change out my old Lnb. I looked at my order in my account today and it shows this so I believe the installer is bringing everything I need. If anyone with genie experience sees anyting missing let me know. Thanks again
Item DescriptionPriceQuantityTotal
Genie Mini Free 1 Free
Whole-Home DVR Service $3.00 1 $3.00
Additional TV - 1 Client $6.00 1 $6.00
Genie Advanced Whole-Home HD DVR Free 1 Free
Adv WH DVR Receiver Condition Free 1 Free
Cinema Connection Kit $99.00 1 $99.00
Additional TV Free 1 Free
Additional TV Free 1 Free
Additional Receiver Condition Free 1 Free
VCONWifiDeca Free 1 Free

I am surprised to see you say the H21's can view programs recorded on the Genie. I thought only the genie clients are able to do that. Can an HR22 DVR or an H24 receiver view programs recorded on the Genie? Basically I'm wondering if I can put a Genie in one room and then keep my other DVRs and receivers in the other rooms instead of switching them to clients and if I did that, would it work the same as my whole-home service does today.

There are plenty of folks here who have a HR34 and no clients and can still use whole home

The main difference between a client and a H2X receiver is the client has full DVR capability (and hogs a HR34 tuner)

So in your example yes it would work fine

the original post says 2 (he mentions a -100 and -200) so right now he's at 4 tuners at 3 spots

I assume he'll replace one receiver with Genie. So even if its a H21 he still is at 8 tuners (5+2+1)

the original post says 2 (he mentions a -100 and -200) so right now he's at 4 tuners at 3 spots

I assume he'll replace one receiver with Genie. So even if its a H21 he still is at 8 tuners (5+2+1)

Actually I have two HR22s plus one H24 today. The plan is to replace the H24 with the Genie. So I would keep both HR22s (4 tuners) and add the Genie (5 tuners). To enable all 9 tuners I would need a SWM16, correct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts