Questions about Phillies

geonaz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Indian Trail, NC
Although the Phillies continue to hold a decent lead in the NL East I wonder about their ability to repeat as World Champions. I even fear a collapse reminiscent of 1964 or like the Mets of 2007. As a Phillies fan since 1948 I have become accustomed to disappointment. My concerns are about their inability to score runners from third with less than two out and their lack of a reliable closer this year. Does the fact that they are still able to win low scoring games indicate they are a good team that can will either a slug-fest or a pitchers duel, or are they just lucky that the other teams in the east are not good enough to challenge them. What do you other more knowledgeable fans think of the Phillies chances?

Although the Phillies continue to hold a decent lead in the NL East I wonder about their ability to repeat as World Champions. I even fear a collapse reminiscent of 1964 or like the Mets of 2007. As a Phillies fan since 1948 I have become accustomed to disappointment. My concerns are about their inability to score runners from third with less than two out and their lack of a reliable closer this year. Does the fact that they are still able to win low scoring games indicate they are a good team that can will either a slug-fest or a pitchers duel, or are they just lucky that the other teams in the east are not good enough to challenge them. What do you other more knowledgeable fans think of the Phillies chances?

They are THE BEST TEAM in the NL. Do not let the Cards record fool you. Nobody TO ME has everything you need to win more than this team....except for the Yankees. The were talking about this the other day, when teams have this big comfortable team, they seem to get lazy and dose off.

....BUT, the Marlins have 6 games left with the Phils...if they can stay within 4 games, I would be scare. ONLY because the Marlins seem to play the Phillies really well AND they have this thing for eliminating teams at the end of the season. IF the Marlins were playing the Pirates, Nationals and the Astros....they'd be done! They seem to play UP to the tougher teams and DOWN to the lower tier teams.

I think the Phillies have an outstanding chance to repeat. The offense is one of the best- not just in the NL- but ALL of baseball. The starting rotation has two top tier guys now, in Hamels and Lee. The only thing that might concern me is the bullpen, but with Lidge, Madson and Myers you have three guys that are capable of getting hot at any time.

And most importantly IMO, you've been there and done that in October. I don't think that can be overstated.

If I were to predict the World Series now, I would say Yankees vs. Phillies.

BTW Geonaz , you don't take a backseat to anyone with your baseball knowledge! :) :up

Thanks Bill but my knowledge is more from the past than the present. Most of the TV and newspapers here in NC don't know baseball exists. It's tough to keep current with one team, even online. You don't know how how much you depend on homers for announcers until you don't have them. Any way, thanks for encouraging me about the Phillies. I will really be torn if the Phillies meet the Red Sox in the series because two of my kids are Sox fans because they went to college in Quincy, MA. My son-in-law even had the audacity to give me a David Ortiz jersey for Christmas two years ago. Oh well what can you do with kids these days.

Hi Salsa, your reply indicates you know why I am worried. On paper the Phillies appear to be ready to go all the way. However we all know that the best teams can go through a bad stretch and not live up to their expectations. Thanks for your reassuring words.

The Phillies are the best team in the NL, but in short playoff series nothing is guaranteed. As with any team hitting can go south just when you need it most, but the Phillies' pitching should be enough to keep them in any game regardless.

The closer situation is a bit troublesome, however...the lack of a dependable closer can play with a team's psyche. But if I were a betting person and had to make a bet, my NL bet would be on the Phillies.

But I wouldn't bet my house!

Sandra

Hi Salsa, your reply indicates you know why I am worried. On paper the Phillies appear to be ready to go all the way. However we all know that the best teams can go through a bad stretch and not live up to their expectations. Thanks for your reassuring words.

Honestly, the Phillies do not have a history of collapsing, so I would not worry. Look at it as street rat, they will avoid anything and everything.....until it's cornered, then the one who corners them is the one that should be worried!;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts