Questions about Sling

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
I currently have a Monsoon HAVA box (generic Slingbox) and used to love the thing. Monsoon came out with a different type of TV capture device called a Vulkano and no longer supports the HAVA.

I used to be able to watch my Hava box on my iPad and iPhone with both the Hava APP and the Vulkano APP getting around the 3G by using 3GUnristrictor or My3G. Now ATT blocks access altogether (I can find my box but it won't connect).

Because I can no longer access my box on 3G and because the PQ has gone down since Monsoon stopped supporting the HAVA, I no longer want anything to do with that company. I am now looking at getting a Slingbox

1. What is the best box to get that will do HD both in the network and outside the network?
  2. What kind of restrictions does ATT put on the Sling?
  3. How reliable is their service outside of your own network?

Is there anyway to get around, "___________ is unreachable. Access to ________________ may be blocked by your router or the internet service provider"?

It is not my router because it does work on through WiFi outside of my network. I think ATT is blocking it even though I have 3G Unrestrictor

1) The Solo and the HD Pro both sling HD inside and outside your house.
2) AT&T Cellular forces a lower bandwidth stream, but still very watchable.
3) Service for me has always been very good outside my house.

On your last post they should not be able to block it and I know of no provider that block Sling. At one time AT&T blocked Sling on the iPhones over the 3G Network but this restriction has been lifted. On the Slingboxes you can actually go in and change the port used to any port you want, so its really hard to block it entirely.

Thanks, Scott.

I noticed in iTunes, the latest comments on Sling media APP all state that they are having issues viewing over 3G with the latest APP update. Are you experiencing the same?

Will 3G Unrestrictor fool the APP to thinking it is WiFi and thus allow more bandwidth?

I do not have an iPhone, but I do have an iPad2 and it has been working fine over Verizon.

3G Unrestictor tricks the Slingplayer app into thinking its on a wifi network.

I do not have an iPhone, but I do have an iPad2 and it has been working fine over Verizon.

3G Unrestictor tricks the Slingplayer app into thinking its on a wifi network.
It is supposed to do the same with my HAVA. When I turn unrestrictor off I get the message stating that the APP only works with a WiFi connection. When I turn it on I get the message that Access to HAVA maybe blocked by your internet service provider. This means ATT is doing something to block my access. Is there a way to get around this block that you know of?

Don't know about the Hava. Those guys have killed their product with the last update. I shipped my Vulkano back to Amazon, which a piece of crap.

But the Sling should be working. :)

BTW if your a DISH customer with a Slingbox go to your DISH account and click on DISH Remote Access and setup your Slingbox there. Once setup you can download the DISH Remote Access app for FREE and be able to watch that Slingbox for FREE without paying $30 for the Slingplayer software for the iPhone. :)

Don't know about the Hava. Those guys have killed their product with the last update. I shipped my Vulkano back to Amazon, which a piece of crap.

But the Sling should be working. :)

BTW if your a DISH customer with a Slingbox go to your DISH account and click on DISH Remote Access and setup your Slingbox there. Once setup you can download the DISH Remote Access app for FREE and be able to watch that Slingbox for FREE without paying $30 for the Slingplayer software for the iPhone. :)
I know. Which is why I wan nothing to do with that company anymore

Sling Media only sells two stand alone Slingboxes. The model that is HD is the Slingbox Pro HD.

I have the SlingBox app on my 3G Iphone and it works very well using WiFi. I does work using 3G service, but it usually takes me a couple of attempts to get the Iphone to stream smoothly. I find if I want to watch my Slingbox it works better to tether my laptop to my Iphone and watch the Slingbox on the computer. That way the phone handles the data and the laptop handles the video processing. I don't believe AT&T's service is fast enough or stable enough to transmit video in HD from a Slingbox. Also remember your data caps. SD programming uses lots of data and HD even more.

The quality of your video using a Slingbox greatly depends on the upload speed from where the Slingbox is installed. Sling recommends a minimum of 1.5 Mbs for HD. More is better. The quality of the connection at both ends is very important. Besides speed stability is important.

I primarily use my Slingbox to watch video on my PC in my home office. The Sling Player shows a through put of 3 - 5 Mbs on my LAN and the SD picture quality is fine on my PC most of the time.

Jim

No data caps for me. I have an unlimited plan, so that is not an issue. The issue is ATT blocking access to things they are supposed to allow

I always had trouble with sling HD over 3G on my old Touch Pro 2. Just wasn't powerful enough and always buffered. The new Thunderbolt runs two sling streams with no trouble, one on the phone itself at the same time as I tethered my second sling adapter to my ipad. I did this out in Las Vegas during NAB. If you have LTE from Verizon, you'll forget about bandwidth restrictions for streaming HD. ( unless their network crashes, then you may not even be able to make a phone call)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)