Questions about switching

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zabkowski

Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
After 4 years with E*, I have been considering switching to D*. Although I have been thinking about changing for several weeks, I haven't pulled the trigger yet. My E* experience with a four room setup has been fine with no issues. The reason that I am considering the move is because of the number of HD channels, Sunday NFL and primarily, it seems like I can get a six room setup with D* but I cannot with E*. I do not understand why I can with D* and can't with E* but at least that is what I understand. While I only need four rooms now, I thought that I would go ahead and order all 6 and save some installation headaches later. What I plan to order is:

Startup Costs
1 DIRECTV Plus® DVR
$99.00
1 DIRECTV® HD Receiver
$99.00
1 DIRECTV® HD DVR
$299.00
Instant Online Rebate -$100.00
3 Standard DIRECTV® Receiver
$0.00
1 Handling and Delivery Fee
$0.00
1 Standard Professional Installation
$0.00
Total Startup Costs: $397.00
Your First Month's Bill
PREMIER
$0.00
NFL SUNDAY TICKET™
$69.99
DIRECTV® HD EXTRA PACK
$0.00
HD Access
$9.99
DIRECTV DVR Service
$0.00
5 Lease Fee
$24.95
DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN
$5.99

Should I have any concerns or anything to be wary about with this configuration? Thanks in advance for your help.

Do you want the D* protection plan? If you want the HD only channels, like HDNet(s), Discovery HD Theater, Universal HD or MGM-HD you also need the HD Exrta package, forget if it's $4.99 or $5.99 per month.

D* will provide the switch to allow for all those receivers. Remember DVR's need two cable runs and the HD receivers need one for an over the air antenna if you have one (and if D* send you HR20/H20's vs HR21/H21's). You might also want to have an ethernet jack where your HR DVR is going to you can make use of the DirecTV on Demand service that's rolling out. AFAIK, D* doesn't install that, it's up to you to provide. Good luck and enjoy.

Do you want the D* protection plan? If you want the HD only channels, like HDNet(s), Discovery HD Theater, Universal HD or MGM-HD you also need the HD Exrta package, forget if it's $4.99 or $5.99 per month.

D* will provide the switch to allow for all those receivers. Remember DVR's need two cable runs and the HD receivers need one for an over the air antenna if you have one (and if D* send you HR20/H20's vs HR21/H21's). You might also want to have an ethernet jack where your HR DVR is going to you can make use of the DirecTV on Demand service that's rolling out. AFAIK, D* doesn't install that, it's up to you to provide. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks for the advice. The second cable run might be a problem. I hope that I get a good installer. That is why I thought the protection plan might be a good idea. Thanks again.

Your install is warrentied for 90 days... the protection plan kicks in 30 days after you add it. Have the rep set a future date (60 days out) after the install to add the protection plan.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts