Questions about The Hopper?

I currently have a 922 and although I can run PS3 Media Server and access that through the 922, the functionality isn't as good as through the PS3. There is no way to rewind or fast forward on the 922.

Has that been improved on the Hopper?

So back to my question about setting up a timer for one of the channels that PTAT records so that it shows up in the user space. When I do this and go to the Scheduled Programs the timer I setup doesn't show up unless I "show skipped" and if I look at the timer I set it says Dup. I find this VERY confusing because how would I know what's truly a dup and won't be recorded and what is a "fake dup" meaning we know the timer I set for a channel PTAT records will indeed record because it's done with the same tuner as PTAT.

I'm trying to figure out how I can view the Scheduled Programs and make sense of it. A lot of what I record is stuff that PTAT records so if I "hide skipped" which is what I normally would do on my 722 DVR when I look at scheduled programs I have no clue what is going to be recorded to my user space. Personally I wish they wouldn't treat the timers I setup that are also recorded by PTAT as dups because they're not skipped, they do record and show up in the user space.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I'm doing an RV install with a Hopper and 2 Joeys. I have a 1000.4 with an Eastern Arc LNB & a Western Arc LNB. Depending on where I'm camped, I switch back & forth between EA & WA. This hasn't been a problem with my VIP 722 & 211k -- just do a Check Switch.

Is switching between arcs possible with a Hopper?

I'm doing an RV install with a Hopper and 2 Joeys. I have a 1000.4 with an Eastern Arc LNB & a Western Arc LNB. Depending on where I'm camped, I switch back & forth between EA & WA. This hasn't been a problem with my VIP 722 & 211k -- just do a Check Switch.

Is switching between arcs possible with a Hopper?

Yes, it should work fine after doing a Check Switch.

Uther Pendragon said:
Any new info how to make a Joey wireless? I have a living room without a cable drop and I dont want to put one in (asthetics). I am going to upgrade my wifi in the house with a high end ASUS router or I might get some of the NetGear wifi equipment that I have seen at Costco to make a TV wireless. Would like to go wireless in the master bedroom also as the cable drop there is opposite where the TV should idealy be.

Joeys r not wireless maybe a future thing according to what I've been told

CommoFreq said:
What are you techs doing with your RAs on upgrades? Normally when I do an upgrade, I put the old receiver into the box that the new receiver came in, and process it. With the Hopper, I'm finding that this option is no longer feasible. Has anyone found a way to fit 2 722s into a Hopper box yet?

I keep boxes from other install as needed

So back to my question about setting up a timer for one of the channels that PTAT records so that it shows up in the user space. When I do this and go to the Scheduled Programs the timer I setup doesn't show up unless I "show skipped" and if I look at the timer I set it says Dup. I find this VERY confusing because how would I know what's truly a dup and won't be recorded and what is a "fake dup" meaning we know the timer I set for a channel PTAT records will indeed record because it's done with the same tuner as PTAT.

I'm trying to figure out how I can view the Scheduled Programs and make sense of it. A lot of what I record is stuff that PTAT records so if I "hide skipped" which is what I normally would do on my 722 DVR when I look at scheduled programs I have no clue what is going to be recorded to my user space. Personally I wish they wouldn't treat the timers I setup that are also recorded by PTAT as dups because they're not skipped, they do record and show up in the user space.

I hope this isn't the first time this has been stated because this is definitly an issue Dish needs to put correct. They need to ignore PTA on the schedual and just list user timers.

WynsWrld98 said:

It says skipped because it's a duplicate of a PTAT recording in the details. At least that's the notation on my system (exact wording is "skipped: PTAT Event"). This is in contrast to other PTAT events that i also created a timer for that are listed as "skipped: not a new episode." so the distinction is there if you want to dig into it and look. If the receiver didn't "skip" these recordings like that, then you'd have extra tuners tied up to record these programs.

It would be nice to have an icon or different color to make it easy to tell at a glance, but if the receiver needs to treat it as skipped so as not to tie up additional tuners, I'm fine with looking at the skip info individually.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
New to Dish since last Wednesday and am still familiarizing myself with the menu, etc. How far out is the Guide suppose go? Looked like about 8 - 9 days when I looked last night but today I am only seeing about 36 hours?????

New to Dish since last Wednesday and am still familiarizing myself with the menu, etc. How far out is the Guide suppose go? Looked like about 8 - 9 days when I looked last night but today I am only seeing about 36 hours?????

It depends on the model of receiver but most DVRs go out to 9 days.

Unplug the receiver for 10 seconds and plug it back in, it will power up and acquire the signal and download the updated guide. You should be able to go more than 36 hours into the guide.

It depends on the model of receiver but most DVRs go out to 9 days.

Thanks! I have Hopper/Joey....but this AM mu guide is only out 36 hours. Could it be updating or something? Is there something I should do, as in re-setting the box? Sorry for the question but all I have to compare it to is coming from D* where the guide went out about 13 -14 days and I never had it where it was only out a day and a half except when I forced a new download.

Unplug the receiver for 10 seconds and plug it back in, it will power up and acquire the signal and download the updated guide. You should be able to go more than 36 hours into the guide.

Thank you Mike. These responses are awesome!!! Do I also unplug the Joey and if so is there an order of doing this? Will I lose any custom setting by doing this?

If I set a timer to record only new episodes of a PT show, will it use the PTAT tuner and then copy it over to the user side, leaving me with 2 copies? Can I set the beginning and end padding on the PTAT shows?

I guess there is a learning curve here.....

Skipped use to mean the show was a rerun so you knew if there was something good to watch that night.
Now skipped may still mean it's a new show but labeled skipped due to PTAT making you look deeper to find out, that kinda sucks.
I could live with skipped if there was a different color for "Not new" and "PTAT".