Questions about The Hopper?

Question: Does the red button behind the front panel of the Hopper box only reboot the box? it doesn't factory reset, correct?

I purchased a Hopper & 2 Joeys and am thinking about attempting the install myself sans DishTV Installer. What say yee?

Can the 21.0 remote currently used with VIP 622 receiver be used with a Hopper or Joey?

Yes, just switch the remote to IR and make sure the address is set to #1.
... and enable IR in the Hopper/Joey Remote Manager.

If you want an additional UHF remote, it has to be a model 40.0 or 32.0 (keyed as 1). The 21.0 and earlier won't work with a Hopper/Joey in UHF mode.

Hi All,

Just made it through reading all the msgs, whew :eek:

I have a week old, self installed, 1 Hopper 1 Joey system, just a sling box adapter this week. Install was definitely something any moderately technical person could handle, I was lucky no antenna or cabling changes were required.

So far only issue I have had was I got stuck on games menu with TV sound playing in background, no amount of canceling seemed to work, finally did red reset.

My questions whether there is a version of SlingPlayer, or anything similar, that would let me stream video to my computer. Basically wanting to do something PIP sized so I can have news playing when working on my computer. This does not need to be HD or have any channel changing capability as always have remote nearby.

Thanks for the wealth of previous info.

Jon

socalsail said:
Hi All,

Just made it through reading all the msgs, whew :eek:

I have a week old, self installed, 1 Hopper 1 Joey system, just a sling box adapter this week. Install was definitely something any moderately technical person could handle, I was lucky no antenna or cabling changes were required.

So far only issue I have had was I got stuck on games menu with TV sound playing in background, no amount of canceling seemed to work, finally did red reset.

My questions whether there is a version of SlingPlayer, or anything similar, that would let me stream video to my computer. Basically wanting to do something PIP sized so I can have news playing when working on my computer. This does not need to be HD or have any channel changing capability as always have remote nearby.

Thanks for the wealth of previous info.

Jon

You need to use dishonline.com with the Sling Adapter.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Hey I have a few questions that some searching didn't turn up, but I couldn't read all 114 pages of this thread.

The Hopper has a 2 TB hard drive: 500GB user DVR, 500GB PTAT, 1 TB DISH things (not sure why they need so much space).

So, On Demand videos go to your Hopper through broadband internet. Do they go into your 500GB DVR or that 1TB mystery space?

The Hopper has 3 tuners, which means you can record 3 different channels, not including Primetime Anytime.

How does PTAT actually work? Does it take up one of the tuners? (I think it does). And whether it does or doesn't how does it do all the primetime channels at once? Is it getting them from broadband like on demand?

Hey I have a few questions that some searching didn't turn up, but I couldn't read all 114 pages of this thread.

The Hopper has a 2 TB hard drive: 500GB user DVR, 500GB PTAT, 1 TB DISH things (not sure why they need so much space).

So, On Demand videos go to your Hopper through broadband internet. Do they go into your 500GB DVR or that 1TB mystery space?

The Hopper has 3 tuners, which means you can record 3 different channels, not including Primetime Anytime.

How does PTAT actually work? Does it take up one of the tuners? (I think it does). And whether it does or doesn't how does it do all the primetime channels at once? Is it getting them from broadband like on demand?

VOD does not take up the customer's portion on the HHD.

PTAT records the local channels on the transponder and only uses one tuner to do so.

VOD does not take up the customer's portion on the HHD.

PTAT records the local channels on the transponder and only uses one tuner to do so.

Just for specifics, PTAT records the local Network HD channels on the transponder and only uses one tuner to do so.

Looking into getting Dish with the Hopper. My question is will I be able to view previously recorded content from the Hopper on any DLNA capable device? I know the hopper and Joey(s) can view DNLA content but can say an XBOX 360 watch a show that has been recorded with the Hopper? I don't need the live TV really. I just don't want to have to get 6 boxes to watch TV (2hoppers, 4 Joeys).

Sorry if I sound greedy but I've been a cable guy for a long time using a cablecard tuner (Ceton InfiniTV), my HTPC and XBOXs as extenders. I'm trying to get similar functionality with Dish because we just bought a house that does not have cable service.

Thanks,
Armyb77

armyb77 said:
Looking into getting Dish with the Hopper. My question is will I be able to view previously recorded content from the Hopper on any DLNA capable device? I know the hopper and Joey(s) can view DNLA content but can say an XBOX 360 watch a show that has been recorded with the Hopper? I don't need the live TV really. I just don't want to have to get 6 boxes to watch TV (2hoppers, 4 Joeys).

Sorry if I sound greedy but I've been a cable guy for a long time using a cablecard tuner (Ceton InfiniTV), my HTPC and XBOXs as extenders. I'm trying to get similar functionality with Dish because we just bought a house that does not have cable service.

Thanks,
Armyb77

Nope you cannot view a recorded show on a DLNA compatible device such as the Xbox 360.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Forum Runner

I purchased a Hopper & 2 Joeys and am thinking about attempting the install myself sans DishTV Installer. What say yee?

Is this an upgrade with dish already in place and good signal strength on current VIP receivers, or would you be starting from scratch? Reason I ask is that it is much easier if you do not have to install a dish and find good signals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)