Questions about The Hopper?

Will the hopper internet connector be included in the installation fees of $99 for existing customers or will it be extra?

In two Hopper systems, when one Hopper dies, does the other Hopper continue to work, and the only programs lost are those on the dead Hopper?

Questions for Dish:

1. Please explain why even an existing customer will not be allowed to have a hopper AND a ViP on the same account? There are some of us who may prefer to keep maybe one ViP for whatever reason while the rest of the house is Hopper/Joey.

2. If one upgrades to a Hopper and, say, 3 Joeys on March 15, then upgrades to a second Hopper when Hoppers are finally able to "see" each other, will it be a matter of simply installing the 2nd Hopper for all to see both Hopper's or is the tech going to have to change out or alter the Nodes and Isolators, etc, and if the tech has to perform this additional labor, IS THERE AN EXTRA CHARGE FOR THIS ADDITIONAL LABOR or will the upgrade price include all necessary labor to make the 2nd Hopper part of the one network?

3. Will we be able to connect external archived HDD to playback or archive to on DAY ONE of release March 15?

4. Is the Hopper limited to a single tuner USB OTA or can the Hopper accommodate DUAL tuner USB OTA models?

5. Please give us as a general time when we might expect OTA support such as 3rd quarter or 4th quarter 2012 or beyond?

If I think of more, I will post. Thank you.

Does the Joey work with an SD TV or does it only work with HD? We still have a couple of old SD TV's in the house, which we might replace at some future date, knowing that we could now get HD on all of our TV's. If the Joey only works with HD TV's, is it possible to add a Joey or two in the future? Would there be another upgrade fee?

I belive the joey. has rca and no coaxil. of course it has hdmi and componit for hd. if you set has coaxil and no rca you will need a rf modulator
Joey's only have rca composite and HDMI, no component.

Stupid question... If one was going to go two hopper and one Joey, would you be charged whole home fee twice. I am guessing not, just checking

I was hoping the 1st joey was covered under the whole house DVR fee, a hopper is not a whole house DVR without one or more Joeys but the whole house Fee applies with or without Joeys. Strange..

Last edited:
I am looking to get 2 hoppers and 4 joeys. What is this going to cost upfront and monthly?

$199 2nd hopper + $99 4th joey? then monthly $7 x 6 outlets + $10= $52/month in fees?

I have gone through and cleaned up the thread and removed the non question discussions and duplicate answers from our members! (Thanks you guys for helping answer questions!)

Just trying to keep the thread clean with questions to make it easier for DISH to answer them all!

Please remember if you want to discuss an answer of question here to PLEASE start a new thread in our Hopper Zone forum and discuss it there so that we don't clutter this QUESTION AND ANSWER ONLY Thread. :)

Thanks Guys! Keep the questions coming!!

If a customer is under contract (say, from a recent DIU promotion :)), would they have to wait to go to the hopper, or will the upfront fees be higher?

Not really a Hopper question, but more of a PTAT question. Can PTAT be turned on and off at will. I would want PTAT during the fall/spring, but not during the summer, is it just a matter of diasbling end of May and re enabling beginning of September? I thought I read somewhere that once PTAT is enabled you can not disable it (could be wrong as I have read so much info the past few weeks from multiple sources and multiple threads).

(Answer by Scott - You can turn PTAT off and on at any time. (except when PTAT has already started recording for the evening) :))

Last edited by a moderator:
With a 2 hopper setup can you have 2 sling adapters hooked up? Currently have 1 sling adapter on my 722k and with having multiple people in the house wanting to use the sling at the same time I would like two adapters or I guess I might just need to upgrade my 622 to another 722 so I can have 2 sling adapters.

Will "older" sling models like the basic slingbox work fully with a hopper? Able to access dvr and such

(Answer by Scott - Yes a regular Slingbox will work and control the Hopper or Joey. Remember to setup your slingbox to operate the unit on IR channel 1.) :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)