Questions about The Hopper?

AKGolf said:
A couple of questions.

1. Our local network shows all run five minutes over, will PTAT copy the entire show even if(and it will) run past the hour.
2. I believe I read that the PTAT shows are available for 8 days. Is there a way to save a PTAT show in case we can't watch it in that time frame?

It sounds like a nice box and I'm tempted, but the lack of OTA makes it less tempting.

1. Not sure.
2. Yes.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

ok quick question and may have already been answered so be easy on a newbie:) Since a hopper has 3 tuners it will run 3 joeys right? So does the hopper use its own tuner with 3 to spare for joeys? The reason Im asking is because Im wanting a 1 hopper and 2 joey set up but need one tuner to be free for recording or sling viewing without having to sacrifice tv viewing in a room

All tuners are in the Hopper, none in the Joeys. There are 3 satellite tuners in the Hopper. The Joeys can watch the same thing the Hopper or another Joey is, or another satellite program, or part of the PTAT stream, or a recording. If you really need 4 streams, try to get a 2 Hopper 1 Joey set up. And good luck with that. Some have succeeded, some have failed.

ok quick question and may have already been answered so be easy on a newbie:) Since a hopper has 3 tuners it will run 3 joeys right? So does the hopper use its own tuner with 3 to spare for joeys? The reason Im asking is because Im wanting a 1 hopper and 2 joey set up but need one tuner to be free for recording or sling viewing without having to sacrifice tv viewing in a room

You'll want 2 hoopers and 1 Joey but the 2 hoppers will not see each other until later this summer. This will end up giving you 1 receiver per TV plus a sling and 2 for recording. As you are now, you only cover the 3 TV's no spare.

If you use PTAT for most of your shows on the 3 TV's than things are different but who wants that restriction.

A couple of questions.

1. Our local network shows all run five minutes over, will PTAT copy the entire show even if(and it will) run past the hour.

#1 is a "no"...unless the program guide shows the overrun. Best thing to do is set a timer. This will serve two purposes:
1) you can set that timer to extend by 5, 10, 15 minutes, etc
2) you won't have to remember to move the program over to your side of the HDD.

#1 is a "no"...unless the program guide shows the overrun. Best thing to do is set a timer. This will serve two purposes:
1) you can set that timer to extend by 5, 10, 15 minutes, etc
2) you won't have to remember to move the program over to your side of the HDD.

Thanks.

So if I set a timer to extend the time does it still use the PTAT tuner and leave me two tuners for recording non primetime shows?

A couple of questions.

2. I believe I read that the PTAT shows are available for 8 days. Is there a way to save a PTAT show in case we can't watch it in that time frame?

It sounds like a nice box and I'm tempted, but the lack of OTA makes it less tempting.

PTAT records for 3 hours so except for 11:00 all the other shows will be recorded in their entirety. If you do a timer it will probably get cut off on the hour so you are in trouble after 8 days.

goresnet said:
I tried searching for "aspect joey" "zoom joey" and "fomat joey" but didn't find anything. Is there a way to zoom the image on a joey? My kids watch a ton of Baby First TV, and my wife likes to fill the screen with it. Is that one of the features that will appear after 24 hrs?

Press the asterisk button on the remote. It's also labeled format.

PTAT records for 3 hours so except for 11:00 all the other shows will be recorded in their entirety. If you do a timer it will probably get cut off on the hour so you are in trouble after 8 days.
I take it there isn't an option to extend the PTAT recordings?
Worse case is that I would have to set a timer for any shows during the last hour.

AKGolf said:
I take it there isn't an option to extend the PTAT recordings?
Worse case is that I would have to set a timer for any shows during the last hour.

By default it starts 5 minutes early and runs 5 minutes late. At least that is what it does for me.

Thanks.

So if I set a timer to extend the time does it still use the PTAT tuner and leave me two tuners for recording non primetime shows?

Yes as long as the extension does not take you out of the PTAT times (which if memory serves are padded an extra 5 minutes on the ending of the PTAT block). This is because it is not setting another recording, just giving you a pointer to the file in "My Recordings" and then marking it to be saved after the 8 days when regular PTAT recordings are deleted.

Yes as long as the extension does not take you out of the PTAT times (which if memory serves are padded an extra 5 minutes on the ending of the PTAT block). This is because it is not setting another recording, just giving you a pointer to the file in "My Recordings" and then marking it to be saved after the 8 days when regular PTAT recordings are deleted.
Looks like i won't have to extend the record time if it does it already. I would still like OTA but this might work on a temporary basis.

Thanks everyone.

so just got done with the 6 hour install of 2 Hoppers/3 Joeys. I was playing around with the features and went into the "Recordings Transfer" and noticed it says "Total space 500GB" ...Just a little curious since it's a 2TB drive (I know some is set aside for BBV, PTAT etc), but I have prime time disabled and 1.5 TB seems like an awful lot of reserved space....

SolApathy said:
so just got done with the 6 hour install of 2 Hoppers/3 Joeys. I was playing around with the features and went into the "Recordings Transfer" and noticed it says "Total space 500GB" ...Just a little curious since it's a 2TB drive (I know some is set aside for BBV, PTAT etc), but I have prime time disabled and 1.5 TB seems like an awful lot of reserved space....

1TB for Dish, 500 GB for you, 500 GB for PTAT. I don't think you get the PTAT allocation even if you disable it.

Is there a way to change the time that receivers check for updates? My receivers keep trying to reboot at 1am, which is not a good time for me. I have searched through the settings menus, but can't seem to find any way to change the time like there was on my old 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts