Questions about The Hopper?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Thanks
Yeah it has several of them as it's a old duel tuner sony XBR so it's top of the line.....just old :)

thanks a ton and I kinda assumed the guide might not fit well. What about aspect ratio can it be adjusted with a click ?

Eventually I will go HD but rather dumb to do it on a TV that still looks great

I'm guessing I could use two joeys on the TV and use it's PiP but that's probably a waste since those things are not free :)

Again much appreciated!

Yes we have switched to 4:3 aspect ratio on our SDTV and it looks good for actual TV. Again, the problem for us is the guide. There doesn't seem to be a way to show less time into the future so the guide font looks small and squished on our SDTV. However, the picture looks fine when watching TV so it doesn't bother us that much.

Man I want this bad but not sure i should rush it just yet.
I only have 1 HD TV and an SD in the back room and i'm the only person here
I have a 622 and a 722 but mainly use the 722.

What would I need, 1 hopper and 1 joey?

Your situation is similar to mine. I only have 1 Hopper and run other non-HDTVs off an RF modulator. If you don't care about HD to the 2nd TV, get an RF modulator and run coax from your Hopper into the other room. It'll save you $7/month.

The Hopper/Joey remotes are RF, not IR, right? Just want to make sure that line of sight between remote & Hopper/Joey isn't necessary.

Both. You have the option of turning IR on, or off.
the Hopper/Joey remotes themselves are RF though. The optional IR built into the receivers is for universal remotes that you may already own like the Harmony.

Edit: It is IR for the other device functions though like your TV/Receiver/DVD player

Last edited:
OOps. Yep. That's right.
I should make a correction and say that it is IR for the other devices though like say you want to program a TV, DVD Player, or Receiver on to the hopper/joey remote. The hopper/joey functions are all done through RF so you don't need line of sight.

Remote Features
  • Uses two-way RF technology called UHF-2G for Hopper receivers
  • Can be programmed to operate (via IR) up to three additional devices such as TVs, DVD players, or audio receivers
  • Has a unique MAC (Media Access Control) address in the remote control to reduce interference and address conflicts
  • Can learn your TV or DVD player's codes from a separate remote
  • Low-light readability buttons

Last edited:
Your situation is similar to mine. I only have 1 Hopper and run other non-HDTVs off an RF modulator. If you don't care about HD to the 2nd TV, get an RF modulator and run coax from your Hopper into the other room. It'll save you $7/month.

Nice to know but do i need a second remote to do that on rf?

but i have two cables already wired to the TV on channel 4 and 60 as i can watch the 622 or 722 just by changing inputs

so right now it seems i might save about 14 a month by getting rid of the two receivers

They told me the upgrade was 100 and that was 1 hopper/joey

Hard to not upgrade now :p

Is there a way to mirror a Joey without using a modulator?
Several ways:

The HDMI and composite outputs are active at the same time so you could feed HDMI to one TV and composite to a second.

You could also split the composite output but need an external box to do that.

There are also HDMI splitters available.

Any screenshots of what the guide looks like on a SDTV?
I just wanted to see how it 'fits' that screen. Not a big deal just curious

Any screenshots of what the guide looks like on a SDTV?
I just wanted to see how it 'fits' that screen. Not a big deal just curious

Here ya go, screen format is set to Normal....

Attachments

• DSCN0555.JPG
    DSCN0555.JPG
    948.2 KB · Views: 206
You will need to do the 2 Hoppers 1 Joey through a local retailer, the DIRT can't do those as that type of setup is not available in their computer screens. :(

Is it possible to order an install with 2h/2j and then cancel 1 joey when the installer comes? I would like to order online or by phone. I believe I saw that retailers lost money on upgrades and I currently am setup by just dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)