Questions For First Time FTA Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you call Satellite AV before they ship the SL2 LNBF, they would likely include the SL2 LNBF instead of the SL1 LNBF in their Ebay GEOSATpro 90cm package with a reduced upgrade cost. Nice decision on the STAB HH90. A very good motor!
Regarding motors, is there an advantage to the DG380B or DG380 over the STAB HH90. Also, what is the difference between the DG380B and DG380? Would those work with the GeoSatPro 36" dish?
http://sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Motors/HH-Motors.htm

The STAB HH90 is superior to any DiSEqC hHH motor sold in North America. It is built in Italy with high quality materials by the company that basically developed the USALS standard.

The DG380B with the 42mm tube would fit the GEOSATpro 90cm. It has had good comments from a few users, but I have never tested or installed one.

The DG380 is a larger 50mm tube and would not fit the GEOSATpro 90cm.

I have to agree with Titanium regarding the Stab 90 HH. Mine has been working fine for many years even in -20 degree winter days!

I'll go with the STAB then. Thanks! By the way, just wondering if I'm able to use the Dish Network mast to mount a 36" Geosatpro dish (based on the pics I posted above)? Not sure if the DN mast is plumb or not. I would assume it is but not positive.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Okay, I wasn't sure. Thanks for letting me know, migold. Sounds like I need to use all new material then.

just wondering if I'm able to use the Dish Network mast to mount a 36" Geosatpro dish (based on the pics I posted above)?

The j-post MAY be tall enough for the 90cm to mount, depending on what satellite it is aimed. The short j-post with the tube angle will probably be in the way or the dish will contact the roof as you aim at satellites towards the east. I agree with others whi suggest motorized dish ideally should be easy to work on. You don't want to be working off of a ladder for your first motorized install if you have a choice. I would personally install a ground mounted pole in cement (with the post bottom flattened on one side, a bolt pass-through or muffler clamp encased in the cement to keep post from rotating). Be sure taht a ground mounted pole is placed so that the dish has a clear line of sight to the arc of satellites.

From what I am hearing, it sounds like I may want to do the ground install. This brings up a whole bunch of other questions.

1. What kind of ground mounted pole should I buy?
2. How deep do I dig the hole to place the pole and what about the cement?
3. What is the best way to run the cable from the dish to the house?
4. I assume I will need to dig to have the cable ran underground along that path?
5. My house sits on a slab, so I assume once it gets to the house I will need to run it up along the brick and get it into the house in the soffit?
6. Is there a device that I can use to determine that I have a clear line of sight to the arc of satellites from where I decide to put the dish?

Again, thanks in advance! :)

From what I am hearing, it sounds like I may want to do the ground install. This brings up a whole bunch of other questions.

1. What kind of ground mounted pole should I buy?
Depends on the height that you need. For a regular height motorized 90cm dish I use a 8' galvanized 2 3/8" fence post. The motor clamps onto the post and fits nicely!
2. How deep do I dig the hole to place the pole and what about the cement? Depends on the soil type, frost line, water table. I try to dig 2 1/2' x 10" in regular drained soil in moderate climates. Rocks and boulders will make you reconsider how deep you want to dig. :D Water level can pop a post out of the ground and clay can dry out and the post can tilt, so be aware of the soil type.
3. What is the best way to run the cable from the dish to the house? Underground type, quad shield, RG6 coax would be best. Use a piece of PVC pipe with a sweep elbow at entrance exit to protect from weed eaters and other damage.
4. I assume I will need to dig to have the cable ran underground along that path? Trench, use a straight blade trench shovel or edger to slice the sod and fold back. Best to bury 18"+ but if no gardening or other traffic, I have seen the coax just under the sod. The deeper, the less problems with rodents and gardening tools.
5. My house sits on a slab, so I assume once it gets to the house I will need to run it up along the brick and get it into the house in the soffit? Depends on what is best for each install. Some drill through wall others run into crawl space, wall fish, etc.
6. Is there a device that I can use to determine that I have a clear line of sight to the arc of satellites from where I decide to put the dish? www.dishpointer provides the elevation and azimuth for a compass and an angle finder. I use the Dish Pointer iPhone app that overlays the satellite arc over the camera. There are many similar iPhone and Android apps that can overlay the satellite arc and work with the internal compass and level to show exactly where the satellites are in the sky.

Thanks for all your help, Titanium! Much appreciated! Looks like I'll be waiting until July to buy the Geosatpro package from SatAV since the MicroHD is backordered until then.

I suggest that you check out the Amiko mini HD SE as it has a new and faster ALI chipset and adds the ability to stream and basic IP services. If you require closed captioning, choose the microHD as it is the only DVBS2 STB with CC. Otherwise, the Amiko mini HD SE is a solid, reliable STB with more features and at a lower cost. :D

Reactions: Nov-01 and FaT Air
I suggest that you check out the Amiko mini HD SE as it has a new and faster ALI chipset and adds the ability to stream and basic IP services. If you require closed captioning, choose the microHD as it is the only DVBS2 STB with CC. Otherwise, the Amiko mini HD SE is a solid, reliable STB with more features and at a lower cost. :D
Thanks for the suggestion. The main reason I was thinking about going with the MicroHD is because SatAV has it as part of their package option. Geosatpro 36" dish, MicroHD receiver, and install kit for $199 with free shipping, which is a lot cheaper than buying them separately. The only bummer is that I have to wait until the 2nd week of July. How much does the Amiko Mini HD SE go for, and where is a good place to purchase it? If you think it is a better option, I may go with that instead. Also, do you recommend any online retailers that have competitive prices, and where did you end up buying your equipment?

If you purchase the $99 GEOSATpro 90cm dish/LNBF package and the $99 Amiko mini HD SE on Ebay, the shipping is free on both items.

You will only need the underground "flooded" coax cable and a grounding block. BTW... You might get away with good standard quality coax underground if the soil is not waterlogged or the cover nicked or damaged. Check on Ebay, local electrical supply or home center store.

There is no preferred Amiko reseller. All of us are authorized and offer on business websites and Ebay.

Full disclosure on who I am, as you are new to the satellite hobby. I recently sold Satellite AV / Glorystar and am a satellite equipment developer and also a reseller. I developed and distributed the dish, LNBFs and receivers that you are looking at purchasing. :D

Awesome! So you sell on eBay then? If so, what's your username? :)

Okay, thanks! By the way, I'm not seeing a $99 Geosatpro dish on eBay at the moment. Not sure if one is just not currently available at that price of if maybe I'm not searching correctly?

Looks like I should have left out the word "Geosatpro" during my search. Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.