Questions For First Time FTA Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnnyjohnson

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Hello. I am totally new to the FTA hobby. I have several questions and was hoping to get some feedback. I would like to know what I would need to buy to accomplish the following:

1. FTA satellite available on 2 TVs (preferably 3).
2. Would like to receive as many stations as possible (rotor).
3. DVR capability on at least one TV.
4. OTA tuner on the receiver if possible (and DVR capability on that as well).
5. Would like a HD receiver as well.

1. Is this possible? And if so, what FTA satellite dish would you recommend? I saw a GeoSatPro 36" at Amazon, but noticed that there are 31" ones which are cheaper.

2. What LNB?

3. HD Receiver(s)?

4. Rotor?

Thanks in advance!

:welcome to Satelliteguys johnnyjohnson!

I know virtually nothing about FTA, but I'm sure someone will chime in soon with some answers for you.

Reactions: johnnyjohnson
1. FTA satellite available on 2 TVs (preferably 3).
Not a problem. See Switches Simplified in the FAQ's section of the forum. Also has an 'effect' on the 'What LNBF' question.
2. Would like to receive as many stations as possible (rotor)
Besides Ku (small dish) you'll need a BUD. Preferably a 10 ft BUD.
1. Is this possible? And if so, what FTA satellite dish would you recommend? I saw a GeoSatPro 36" at Amazon, but noticed that there are 31" ones which are cheaper.
Get the 36 inch, Bigger is better.
2. What LNB?
One that matches the dish and band intended to be received. Also a factor is if more than one receiver is to be used.
FTA is Ku, 12000 Mhz, small dish, & 'C band' at 4000Mhz requires at Least a 6 ft dish (but a 10 is 'most desirable')
Bigger is better. I don't recommend a 6, but some have 'started there', or are 'limited' .
3. HD Receiver(s)?
In no particular order: GeosatPro uHD, Amiko mini HD, DBS6100, and a 'new kid' on the block: SYNOQ SR1 are 4 'on my list' today. Then there's also the soon to be released Amiko that's got a thread here that has a feature (or two) that my be interesting.

I'm surprised you didn't ask 'what can I get with FTA?' Hardly anyone 'jumps into' something without knowing the 'rewards'. But to 'get the feet wet' a a 'fixed' one 'satellite' at a time' Ku 'set up' (dish, LNBF, receiver) is a good starting point to 'catch the basics' for a start. Then, if/when the 'fever catches', add a motor to get all the Ku satellites. Later add a BUD on a polar mount to get the C band 'offerings'.
Ready for more questions.

Welcome JohnnyJohnson!

Motorized dishes are great if connected to only one receiver. If additional receivers are connected to a motorized dish, one satellite receiver will control what satellite is selected and all other receivers only can view channels from the same satellite. This will severely limit whst the additional receivers can watch.

If you wish to have multiple receivers, consider several fixed dishes aimed at the popular satellites, each with dual output LNBFs connected by multi switches (as suggested by Fat Air). Another option is to install a motorized 90cm dish for each receiver, so each room could have independent satellite and channel selection.

The GEOSATpro 90 cm is a good quality dish. Smaller 31" dishes are not 2 degree compliant and you will get interference from adjacent satellites. Several channels (PBS HD) are not easy to receive on 31" dishes. I feel that it is worth spend a few more dollars and getting a dish that will receive most KU channels. Bigger is better for reliable reception.

Many options for HD satellite receivers, but some are better at motor control, switch control and picture quality. I am using the Amiko mini HD SE receiver for my personal receiver. Great picture quality on SD/HD, excellent motor/switch control, reliable DVR timers, streaming live TV to my Android tablet and is currently the least expensive US supported receiver. :D

Currently the best choices for a motor that fits the GEOSATPRO 90cm is the STAB HH90 or the SG6100. HH90 motors are more expensive, but great quality. The SG6100 has good build and less expensive.

I would buy a PLL (Phase Lock Loop) type KU band LNBF. These are great for receiving weak signals and do not cost much more than the regular DRO LNBFs. Some models draw more current (requiring more amperage from the receiver and producing more heat) so consider the current draw when comparing. Most are similar performance.

We are here to help. Run by your ideas for equipment purchase and installation. We will give you feedback and help with install questions.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site!
Looks like FaT and Brian have sent you in the right direction. Feel free to ask all the questions you wish. No such thing as a dumb question. :)

Perhaps you should also be aware FTA is not a subtitute for any of the pay to view TV services. To get the most out of FTA you will need a motorized dish because the programs are spread amongst many sats. Don't expect to see EPG either.
For local news and other programs OTA is a great addition if available in your area.

this is a great hobby, have fun.....

To those who have responded so far, thank you so much for the feedback!

I should be a little more specific with what I would like to accomplish.

I am only interested in Ku band. To put a 10 ft. dish in the yard is not feasible where I live right now.

I was thinking about having an installer install the equipment for me but now I'm wondering if I should save the money and learn on my own. Especially since there are helpful forums out there like this one.

Here is what I am eyeing right now:

Dish: GEOSATpro 90cm
Rotor: STAB HH90
Receiver: have it narrowed down to 3 at the moment - Amiko mini HD, GeoSATpro microHD, or GEOSATpro HDVR 1200. Does anyone have a favorite out of those 3?

As far as LNBF goes, I skimmed through the FAQ "Switch Simplified" and to be honest it just confused me more. I'm still not sure what the LNBF does exactly. Do I need one LNBF for each receiver? What does a quad LNBF do vs a single or dual one? And what about a multiswitch? I saw this picture online and it includes a OTA antenna, which is what I would prefer. I'm just not sure what all equipment I would need or how to even begin.

http://www.smarthome.com/images/7815dgmbig.jpg

Currently I have a Dish network dish (which is no longer active) mounted on my roof (about 2 or 3 years old). I assume I would be able to tap in to the existing cable runs going up there or would I need to do all new ones? Also, would I be able to take advantage of the pole to mount the FTA dish to it?

Again, thanks so much for your help!

4. OTA tuner on the receiver if possible (and DVR capability on that as well).

None of them offers you this option!

Do you recommend any that do? OTA tuner not necessary but would be nice.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Save the install money and do as everyone else here has done - DIY - as tune ups and 'changes' to the system may be necessary. Not to worry - there's everyone here to answer questions.
Roof mounting is not recommended. But you may try one much later, once 'experience' is gained.
Before going into the 'complexities' of switches and required LNBF's it's best to determine exactly the requirements of the system. I'd 'start off small' One dish, one receiver & motor, to 'get the basics' out of the way first. Then add complexity later.
Since your goal is a multi-receiver system, I'd choose a 'dual output' LNBF so it doesn't have to be changed later.
For two receivers to one dish, a 'dual output' LNBF, and 2 runs of coax- one run to each receiver. One receivers coax would 'run thru' the motor to select which satellite. To add more receivers you'd add a multiswitch.
Receivers - I think you'll get 'favorites' said on all 3 models. (but that Amiko mini is top of my list today as a replacement for my S9 [oneday])
For OTA DVR (using an external HDD) there's the Mediasonic Homeworks HW150PVR -
Anyone have 'hands on' with this?
Edit, found thread

Roof mounting is not recommended for a fta dish as it will be much more difficult to tune and adjust, but there is no reason you couldn’t make use of existing cabling if it is rerouted to the new dish location.

Do you recommend any that do? OTA tuner not necessary but would be nice.

The only dvb-s2 receiver I know of that also has an ota tuner is the linkbox 8000hd local. The only negative comments I’ve heard about it is that the ota program guide isn’t very useful.

The receivers that have combined satellite and OTA do not do OTA very well due to the limited EPG (Electronic Program guide). That is also the weakness with the OTA STB that Fat Air lists. TV stations only send over the air 1 or 2 days of EPG data and it is not very friendly for setting reoccurring or future DVR timers.

If you want a good EPG for OTA DVR you should consider a ATSC LAN tuner like the Silicon Dust Home Run or Plus model. The tuners and recordings are available to all computers on your home network. Run Windows Media Center on a PC that you wish to DVR on and you have the ability to set series timers and have a sortable EPG database that is free and reliable courtesy of Microsoft. Very nice if you do a lot of OTA DVR. I have a PC dedicated to be my media center and OTA DVR.

Okay, I took FaT Air's advice and made my first purchase. I bought the SL2PLL dual LNBF for $20. I found the Geosatpro M1 system on eBay for $199 with free shipping. Comes with dish, SL1PLL LNBF, installation kit with cabling and tools, and the Geosatpro HDVR 1200 receiver. Is that a good buy?

I'm new too, I've got an install thread started around here:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/install-thread-my-first-fta.338339/
with photos :)

I was gonna try the pkg deal you listed, but changed my mind (when the MicroHD went on backorder) and went with an Amiko Mini from KE4EST...I called SatAV and ordered the same dish you list but not in the pkg (Dish/LNB w mount). So pretty much what one needs to get going. (They will honor ebay pricing if you call in)
I also ordered a meter from 'bay-that was supposed to be here today-but just shipped this morning from PA :(
FedEx has the Dish on the Truck and I anticipate seeing it this evening.
I only want to view the Jesus channels on G19 so a rotator isn't part of the plan right now.

Thanks Nov-01 for the suggestion! The only thing I've ordered so far is the dual LNBF. I may have to call SatAV and see if they can match the eBay price. The only thing I'm wondering on that eBay package is that they are including the GeoSatPro HDVR 1200 instead of the MicroHD that listed. Which receiver is better?

Also, as far as the installation of the dish is concerned, the reason I had thought about the rooftop is because that is where my old Dish antenna is. The cable is coming out of soffit an run up to the roof, where the dish is mounted. I have attached pictures of how it is set up. My question is, would it be possible to keep the mount and remove the Dish network dish and LNBF (by the way, what type of LNBF is that, a triple?) and replace the antenna with the 36" Geosatpro with a dual LNBF and a motor? Or is that not possible because of the size difference of the dishes and weight capacity etc. Also, is the Dish network dish even looking at the same sky as a FTA dish would be? And also, in the last picture, what is that material called that is in between where the dish is screwed into the shingles? My assumption is that it is to protect the shingles from the metal?

IMG_4556.JPG IMG_4557.JPG IMG_4558.JPG IMG_4559.JPG IMG_4560.JPG IMG_4561.JPG IMG_4562.JPG IMG_4571.JPG

The MicroHD receiver is "better" for FTA. Much better resolution on SD video compared to the HDVR1200, and awesome on HD video. The MicroHD also has close captioning capability, for those channels that have it.

Sounds like your doing ok! I was in the same boat that your in now about 4 yrs ago.I started out with a motorized ku package deal from Sadoun and did mount mine on my garage roof! see Pic.If your doing this alone be prepared for frequent trips to the roof until dish and motor are correctly aligned :(..When you get that first satellite station it will seem well worth it!i know it was for me :clapping.I got hooked quick and shortly expanded to a 6ft cband motorized system for my back deck !Im one of those who couldn't go with a larger dish without breaking the peace;). Dont let those who say you should have a 10 footer or bigger scare you off! With a 6 footer you will get plenty of c band stations.DO your homework on FTA system setups and what you don't understand a great crowd here will be most happy to help.
001.JPG

Reactions: 77TA
Welcome to forum Johnny, the grey stuff is just silicone sealant to prevent leaks. Lag bolts screw-gunned right into your roof decking, exact reason I don't want any dishes on the roof. Well, not having to climb up there to tweak the dish is another big reason too!

If you call Satellite AV before they ship the SL2 LNBF, they would likely include the SL2 LNBF instead of the SL1 LNBF in their Ebay GEOSATpro 90cm package with a reduced upgrade cost. Nice decision on the STAB HH90. A very good motor!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)