Quick Inquiry, Please Help.

TehKing

Jan 10, 2007
I have a relative in Alberta who recently upgraded to a Starchoice HD receiver. His SD unit is still activated, and he asked me if I wanted it.

I am in the Minneapolis area, and I have a few questions:

1. What type/size dish should I get?

2. Do LNB's usually come with the dishes? I only need a single output, and I don't need the French channels.

3. I don't want to mount the dish on my roof, or the side of my house. Would it be acceptable to mount it on a tripod in my back yard?

4. Will I need to connect the receiver to a phone line?

Any links/advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

You can just get the basic, standard elliptical dish (equivalent to 60 cm or about 24 in.). You are close to Canada so would not have difficulty getting a signal. The round dishes are obsolete unless you can find an old or used one. I believe that there is a larger elliptical dish but harder to find.

2. Do LNB's usually come with the dishes? I only need a single output, and I don't need the French channels.

Yes, they always come with the dish. A single output may be harder to find. Your best bet is to go with the quad elliptical which gives you four outputs (you may want to add more receivers later). This will give you access to HD and some other channels available on the second satellite. The first satellite is just about full so don't take a chance on missing channels that may be added later.

3. I don't want to mount the dish on my roof, or the side of my house. Would it be acceptable to mount it on a tripod in my back yard?

For sure. SC sells a tripod which looks like this:

Sat_Ant_Tripod_large.jpg

Completely portable, the Satellite Antenna Tripod mount can be moved easily from location to location and folds up for convenient storage. So whether you're boondocking or at your favorite camp site, you can enjoy satellite TV in minutes.

It's a great solution for those living in condos or apartments where dishes cannot be mounted on exterior walls, balcony railings or rooftops. Only 90 cm (3 feet) in height, the tripod can fit onto even the smallest terrace.

The Satellite Antenna Tripod works with a 60 cm satellite dish.

No. The entry level receiver does not even support a phone line. The phone line connection is needed only for Instant Pay Per View ordering and your receiver needs special activation for this.

I was unaware I was doing something wrong. My relative comes here on vacation. I wanted to get a dish on a tripod as cheaply as possible so I can set it up when he gets here and store it away in the garage when he leaves.

Perhaps I should have made my OP clearer.

I have a relative in Alberta who recently upgraded to a Starchoice HD receiver. His SD unit is still activated, and he asked me if I wanted it.

I am in the Minneapolis area, and I have a few questions:
sweet. My neighborhood (SW suburbs) :)

since its a SD only unit, all you need is a 30" dish and a KU Band LNB. Sadoun (gold sponser at top) has them. You can get by with a 24" dish but I wouldn't recommend it. I installed one for a guy in Eagan and the signals were a fair amount less than my 30"
Here is a link for the dish
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Dishes/Free-to-air-satellite-dish.htm

Most dishes do not have the LNB, but they will discoun it. Make sure its a standard LNB and not a Universal

sure. Radio Shack has a heavy duty tripod (dont get the cheap one as its designed for an OTA antenna). The mast is a 1 5/8" mast for a 24", 30" or a 36" dish

NO!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts