Quick Question about Whole Home DVR setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jkauf55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
Nashville, TN
Hey guys quick question about the whole home set-up (doing this myself).

I currently have a HDDVR HR24-200 (uses SWiM), as well as H21.

I know/read that the HR24 has the DECA built in so to use the WH DVR service, I would only need the 1 DECA unit for the H21 correct?

Also will these work without connecting it with my wireless home network? Or will i need to connect it with my home network to get it to work? If so what else would i need?

I really hope im making sense on this! And i really appreciate all the help/info!

I also have the HR 24 with a H21 (and H23). I believe you would only need the DECA unit for the H21. You do not need to connect to your home network for MRV to work (this is the mode supported by D*). Others here have connected it to their networks (not supported by D*) to allow MRV to work. If you want to use DTV's on demand service, you will need an internet connection kit that would need to be connected to your home network. Hope this helps.

I also have the HR 24 with a H21 (and H23). I believe you would only need the DECA unit for the H21. You do not need to connect to your home network for MRV to work (this is the mode supported by D*). Others here have connected it to their networks (not supported by D*) to allow MRV to work. If you want to use DTV's on demand service, you will need an internet connection kit that would need to be connected to your home network. Hope this helps.

The "Internet Connection Kit" is just another DECA that comes with a power supply. ;) Since you're using a DVR, you might as well hook up the network to get the On Demand (starting on channel 1000). It's free and pretty much EVERY channel you subscribe to has an On-Demand. Plus, you can get 'watch anytime' PPV. Once you start a program downloading on the DVR, it goes into the MRV list so you can watch it on any HD box.

You have two options:

o DECA
o Switched Ethernet (hubs are eeeeevilllle)

If neither is prewired and there's some distance between the receivers, DECA will likely be easier (not necessarily cheaper). As pointed out above, switchgear, splitters and filters may need to be installed or replaced to make DECA work and a fudge factor needs to be added to the cost estimates if you aren't certain that everything is compatible.

If you've got a good switch and CAT5e or better in place, that will be a whole lot quicker and easier and you won't have to concern yourself with having the correct DIRECTV parts.

Self-installing is overrated.

One thing you need to be sure of is that your LNB and SWM splitter have the green lables on them.
I was told I only need the green label swm/lnb only If I go the way of connecting it with my home network. In that case I'd need a deca w/ power added to my router and band stop to any other boxes (sd) I have in house! Not too worried about the OnDemand cuz IMO it's weak and nothing good to d/l.

Hell I'll prob now just go with the wireless network (non supported way). Worked for me just fine during CE testing.

BIG THANKS TO ALL THAT HELPED/GAVE INFO!

Last edited:
I was told I only need the green label swm/lnb only If I go the way of connecting it with my home network. In that case I'd need a deca w/ power added to my router and band stop to any other boxes (sd) I have in house! Not too worried about the OnDemand cuz IMO it's weak and nothing good to d/l.

Hell I'll prob now just go with the wireless network (non supported way). Worked for me just fine during CE testing.

BIG THANKS TO ALL THAT HELPED/GAVE INFO!

You need the Green lables stuff for MRV period. No green lables and it wont work.

You need the Green lables stuff for MRV period. No green lables and it wont work.
So even thought i DONT have any splitters i still need green label splitters? If thats the case then screw it.. Ill connect it via home network!

Thanks again Liquidforce (and everyone else)!

So even thought i DONT have any splitters i still need green label splitters? If thats the case then screw it.. Ill connect it via home network!

Thanks again Liquidforce (and everyone else)!

You have to have at least one splitter if you have a SWiM LNB, since you have two receivers. Depending on when your SWiM was installed it could very well be green labeled.

You have to have at least one splitter if you have a SWiM LNB, since you have two receivers. Depending on when your SWiM was installed it could very well be green labeled.

Yeah so after looking i have a SWM 4 way splitter out in the main cable box (SORRY WILDBILL!). And since its been over a year since the install its not green.

So to be sure im getting this i need 1 DECA for my H21 (HR24 has them built in) and 1 green SWM 4 way splitter to replace the one out in the cable box! Am i understanding this correctly! IM NOT worried about hooking up to the internet for OnDemand!

Hey guys so i got 1 DECA for my H21 got it hooked up and reset the receivers (HR24 and H21). Got all 3 lights on the DECA and everything works perfect! NOW HERES THE CATCH: I have NO green label anything (lnb, splitter, or green label swm) NOR am i using my home network!

Am I just lucky? Who cares as long as it works right!

Now gonna try getting the wireless bridge hooked up to my HR24. For this im gonna guess my luck will run out as if im not mistaken ill need to hook up my HR24 with another DECA (like the pic below) and instead of originally plugging the ethernet cable from my wireless bridge to the receiver i now connect the wireless bridge to the DECA and this will get me internet?. Am i correct this is how its supposed to be hooked up?

deca.jpg

Last edited:
The green label stuff is tested and verified with MRV. The other stuff is 'at your own risk'. It'll probably work, but if it gives you trouble, don't complain to DirecTV. Just like ethernet networking.

The HR24 (and H24) has one of those DECA units built in. Plugging ethernet into it disables the onboard DECA, and it will no longer communicate with your H21. The diagram you posted is to connect your entire 'cloud' (DECA network) to the internet, which enables On Demand and allows you to program your DVR over the internet. It also enables DIRECTV2PC, which allows you to stream from your DVR to a properly equipped PC. I would NOT do that over wireless though.

Aaahhhh I just thought unless I had green label stuff MRV wouldn't work. Thanks for the info

So how would I go about connecting my wireless bridge to my HR24? Get a wireless kit made for MRV?

Thanks again guys for all the help! Very much appreciated!

Exactly the way the diagram shows it. You need another DECA with a power supply, and connect your bridge to that.. It doesn't need to be split off the HR24's coax, it just has to be connected SOMEWHERE in the system to the SWiM splitter. If you have an open port, connect it there. Otherwise, split a lead or (better yet) change out to a larger splitter. The HR24 has its DECA built in, and if you try to connect the bridge directly to it, it will disable the internal DECA and kill your MRV.

Thank you sir! And I'm sorry I misread your previous post (doing all this from iPhone) and assumed I couldn't do it w/ wireless..

Thanks again :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)