Quick Review: FS1 First Strike Meter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jullius

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
La Crosse, WI
First Strike Meters www.firststrikemeters.com makes a handheld digital satellite meter. It's realitively new on the market, so I decided to give a quick review for those interested. I have only been using the meter for a couple of days now. I will try to update this post/thread as I learn more.

Pros:
It works great and it's fast. I have never used a digital meter before, but I was amazed at how quickly I was able to aim a dish at a different satellite. I'm used to hauling a reciever and a small LCD tv outside and spending anywhere from 15mins to 2 hours to find what I'm looking for. Using this meter, I moved a fixed dish from 110w to 119w and my BUD from 103w to 99w in about 1-2 mins for each dish.

With this meter you enter your lat. and long. then you can select from the built in list of satellites that you can see from your location. Each satellite has one transponder listed. You can edit the LO, freq, SR, and LNB voltage and save it to 1 of 100 user saves.

It appears to be well made and comes with a AC charger, 12Volt car charger, and can even be powered / charged by a reciever. It has a back light, a rugged flexible orange "armor" and replaceable f-connectors.

Cons:
It has a usb port, but does not have any software or driver available yet. I'm hoping this get added, it would make loading a custom list of satellite transponders very easy. It might also allow for firmware updates.

You can turn the sound of the meter's signal strength off, but the meter still beeps as you push the buttons, kind of minor, but why not mute everything?

Azimuth calculation is pretty vague. It doesn't give you a compas reading instead it points seamingly one of two southernly directions. Either left or right of due south.

Overall:
I really like this meter, it gives fast readings and is easy to use. I hope this company continues to support the meter by releasing software for it. Gone are the many frustrating hours I have spent trying to aim dishes at different satellites.

Attachments

• IMG_1092.JPG
    IMG_1092.JPG
    735.2 KB · Views: 1,423
  • IMG_1094.JPG
    IMG_1094.JPG
    533.7 KB · Views: 1,225
  • IMG_1095.JPG
    IMG_1095.JPG
    464.4 KB · Views: 1,512
so it cant control a switch ? or drive a motor ?

does it have a spectrum anaylzer built in like the trimax 2500 ? is it useless or usable ? the trimax spectrum analyzer imo isnt of any use other then a gimic.

It can control a 22k switch but that's it. No spectrum anaylzer.

so it cant control a switch ? or drive a motor ?

does it have a spectrum anaylzer built in like the trimax 2500 ? is it useless or usable ? the trimax spectrum analyzer imo isnt of any use other then a gimic.

I found this on their website.

The FS1 is made for MPEG2 signals but has the ability to detect other signals. See the chart below.

• MPEG2 SD Signal / Quality / Lock
  • MPEG2 HD Signal / Quality / Lock
  • MPEG4 SD Signal / Quality
  • MPEG4 HD Signal / Quality
  • DVB-S2 Signal / Quality
  • Digicipher Signal / Quality
  • Digicipher 8psk Signal / Quality

I take it that its DVB-S only?

Is there a meter that does DVB-S2?

so basically its like a birdog but you can customize the settings through the menu vs having to reupload it everytime you want to change a tp.

thats good though, that was really anoying about the birdog. to bad it cant control simple diseqc switch's though.

Jullius, have they added satellite list upload capacity to this yet? Any new update on this product?

Julius, Could you post a link? . I could not find anywhere on their website the claim that the FS1 meter does DVB-S2 and Digicipher signals. Only references to QPSK I found.

BTW unlike the birdog , this meter does not have a Spectrum Analizer and it can not control a DiseqC switch. BTW again , the birdog indeed allows you to enter a Custom TP on the fly, very useful in my opinion. Yes I have a birdog but I do not think I am bias, at least I think that Honrar Honra (credit to whom credit deserves if you will) is still my first commandment from Jose Marti(called the Apostol) as it should be from every other cuban.

First Strike FS1 Frequently Asked Questions check this link out it's the FAQ on the official website

If you click on the "what signals can I get" it will say it can detect dvb-s2 and other feeds, I haven't tested that myself, but I will give it a try sometime.

Also, they have finally added USB support for loading a new satellite list and firmwares, but no major changes to the firmware yet.

Julius, Could you post a link? . I could not find anywhere on their website the claim that the FS1 meter does DVB-S2 and Digicipher signals. Only references to QPSK I found.

BTW unlike the birdog , this meter does not have a Spectrum Analizer and it can not control a DiseqC switch. BTW again , the birdog indeed allows you to enter a Custom TP on the fly, very useful in my opinion. Yes I have a birdog but I do not think I am bias, at least I think that Honrar Honra (credit to whom credit deserves if you will) is still my first commandment from Jose Marti(called the Apostol) as it should be from every other cuban.

Thanks , I could not even see it despite you just told me , lol. If it would have been a dog , it would have bitten me !, lol.

first strike meter

Can anyone help me get my First strike set up HELP :) I am in Idaho Long 112 W LAT 43N using 119/110/129 Dish Network. need frequencies? SR? LO? thanks anyone for the help.

Lyngsat is the best site to get the frequencies, SR, LO, etc. I am curious what the best settings would be though in which it would recognize 119 and not neighboring satellites such as 110, 129 so that it does not say that it is locking on the nearby ones. Same thing I am wondering about with the Glorystar ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)