Quick Review: FS1 First Strike Meter

Seems like interest in this meter is growing and I am sure there are two factors. One is the price and the second is how fast it locks onto a signal (fastest in the industry is what they say).

I am curious if this will cause the other meters to drop in price if they start to see their sales decline due to sales increasing on this meter.

Seems like interest in this meter is growing and I am sure there are two factors. One is the price and the second is how fast it locks onto a signal (fastest in the industry is what they say).

I am curious if this will cause the other meters to drop in price if they start to see their sales decline due to sales increasing on this meter.
It even detects DVB-S2 signal, but doesn't lock it. Based on my preliminary test, its worth the money.

Any one knows how to find out what Firmware Version is installed in the FS1 Meter? :confused:

Last edited:
How can it give you a signal quality without a lock?
There is quality signal displayed. During my test, I used a known working DVB-S2 signal which displays fine on my AZBox. It displayed the signal and Quality, but there was no lock. It should also be noted that the DVB-S2 quality kind of fluctuated.

thanks for the info Babadem. Mine arrived today. I should have time to give it try this weekend.

I have had this meter for 10 months now and it is a great meter.When I am looking for a sat I put a strong TP and a weaker TP in the user panel section .Then I use the strong one to locate and switch to the weaker one to fine tune the dish.Tony Dunnett wrote a very good review on this meter and how to cross pole with it.
In the past I was using a Birdog 2.5V and got sick and tired of misidentifying the satellites.

I had a satellite meter that would misidentify satellites and it was more expensive than the FS and I returned it, especially after it broke. It was not a very popular one and I do not know if they sell them anymore or not.

Hi , i want to buy the fs1 but i would like to ask those how have one if the ber is enough sensitive and accurate . I already have the satlink 6906 and when i have lock a transponder no matter i turn the lnb left or right the ber shows the minimum 0/1000000 . I had and magicfinder plus sat finder which broke and it had a very accurate ber indication , it was changing with the minimum move of the lnb.Thanks.

Finally had a chance to take it out of the box. Just curious but there are two male RG6 connectors on the top of the FS1 which require a double female connector (included) to allow you to connecto to a cable. Is this how they all come? Just wondering why they didn't put a female connector rather than use an adapter.

Finally had a chance to take it out of the box. Just curious but there are two male RG6 connectors on the top of the FS1 which require a double female connector (included) to allow you to connecto to a cable. Is this how they all come? Just wondering why they didn't put a female connector rather than use an adapter.

...in case you booger up the threads of the F-81 (double female)...then you can change it....

Last edited:
its raining here today so can't do to much but thought I'd figure out FS1. In the readme it says,

"Run FS1 firmware.exe
Hold the Load/dB key of the meter and power on the meter to enter the engineering mode.
Select the correct COM port and click Open.
Click Download to program the firmware."

Where do you get the FS1 firmware.exe file?
On the website there is a driver software and some other stuff but I'm not seeing firmware.

its raining here today so can't do to much but thought I'd figure out FS1. In the readme it says,

"Run FS1 firmware.exe
Hold the Load/dB key of the meter and power on the meter to enter the engineering mode.
Select the correct COM port and click Open.
Click Download to program the firmware."

Where do you get the FS1 firmware.exe file?
On the website there is a driver software and some other stuff but I'm not seeing firmware.
Thanks for bringing that up. I meant to ask the same question a few days back, too. I will check my email to see if they have acknowledged my registration. Maybe, you have to be registered to get access to that firmware.exe?

Edit: I just emailed them about the "FS1 firmware.exe" file. I will update as soon as i get any response.

Last edited:
There is really little reason to play with the firmware on this meter and always a bit of a chance of loading the firmware wrong and locking up the meter. The meter comes with a fine selection of transponders already preloaded and it's very easy to enter the parameters of any transponders you want and you can save them to the meter.

Thanks for bringing that up. I meant to ask the same question a few days back, too. I will check my email to see if they have acknowledged my registration. Maybe, you have to be registered to get access to that firmware.exe?

Edit: I just emailed them about the "FS1 firmware.exe" file. I will update as soon as i get any response.

Below is the response I got from their Support Dept.

It is no longer available from our software page. It is a file from a
long time ago when we did a firmware update, however your meter already
has the latest firmware. You should not try upgrading your firmware as
your meter is current. May I ask where you got the file?

Support

Nice Meter For The Money

I just received and started using the FS 1 today and so far I have been impressed. I definitely responds quick to signal changes which in turn leads to faster setup in general. It has a quick boot up and the ability to make changes "on the fly" which is a definite plus. So far I have only used it on Dish and Direct and it does work with the SWM system providing you have the test fixture ( switch)

All in all for the money it does a great job and seems that for most applications to be just as good as meters I have used costing much more. Their support folks have been quick to answer any questions for me also so that is a huge plus should I have an actual problem.

Wt

Lyngsat is the best site to get the frequencies, SR, LO, etc. I am curious what the best settings would be though in which it would recognize 119 and not neighboring satellites such as 110, 129 so that it does not say that it is locking on the nearby ones. Same thing I am wondering about with the Glorystar ones.
Hi Stargazer. I have the same issue. Just bought the newest FS1-ProHD to point my DiSH Satellite Dish while RV-ing. I couldn't get the FS to work, so used the Hopper Receiver to Point. Now I'm trying to get the FS to lock, so that I don't need the Hopper the next time I setup camp. I was wondering what settings you are using. Thanks for your help! Karl

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Latest posts