R22-200 Making Humming Noise

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

vankac

Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Minnesota
I purchased a R22-200 DVR a couple months ago and it recently started making a humming noise. It's really only audible at night when the house is quiet or if you put your ear up to the unit.

I called D* and they sent out a replacement unit but it was an older R15-300. When I called back to try and get a R22 replacement instead, they told me they just ship whatever they have the most of in stock and that they can't specify a model number. I found that disappointing since the R22 is a much newer model than the R15, it has a built in RF antenna, 200 vs 100 hours of recording time, and can now be used as an HD DVR. All around, it seems like a much nicer unit.

I guess I'm planning on just living with the humming noise and send the R15 back. I'm hoping the noise is not a sign of a serious issue and that it doesn't get worse.

Does anyone know if there's a way to have D* actually replace the unit you have (which is still under warranty) with the same or better model number?

Thanks,

Curtis

I purchased a R22-200 DVR a couple months ago and it recently started making a humming noise. It's really only audible at night when the house is quiet or if you put your ear up to the unit.

I called D* and they sent out a replacement unit but it was an older R15-300. When I called back to try and get a R22 replacement instead, they told me they just ship whatever they have the most of in stock and that they can't specify a model number. I found that disappointing since the R22 is a much newer model than the R15, it has a built in RF antenna, 200 vs 100 hours of recording time, and can now be used as an HD DVR. All around, it seems like a much nicer unit.

I guess I'm planning on just living with the humming noise and send the R15 back. I'm hoping the noise is not a sign of a serious issue and that it doesn't get worse.

Does anyone know if there's a way to have D* actually replace the unit you have (which is still under warranty) with the same or better model number?

Thanks,

Curtis

DVR's do hum it's the hard drive and it's constantly buffering one channel in standby, if it bothers you you may want to go to a standard receiver.Also realize the R22s are not going to be offered anymore by DirecTV that DVR is being discontinued.If you want the same features you will need to get an HR2x or find another R22 on EBay. Good Luck!:)

P.S. If your not in a MPEG4 SD locals area DirecTV will send you an R15 or R16.

Forgot that if the sound really bothers you you can unplug the DVR at night.Good Luck!:)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)