R22...thoughts and questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
most 1/2 hour shows take about 15-20 minutes to download which is no biggie

Before I went to bed I set up a queue of 10-12 items and they were downloaded this morning

2 questions in regards to the VOD

-I notice it doesnt take up space on the hard drive. I had like 98% space when I started and after downloading about 6-7 hours of VOD it still shows 98%.....Is there a "hidden" hard drive space?
-There is some stuff I saw on HDNet that I might want to download. Since I have a R22 (only receiver on acct so HD not enabled) can I still download it?

answered my own question about HDNet

If you dont subscribe ot it you cant download it...bummer. Thought maybe I could see Inside Nascar without subbing to Showtime ;)

2 questions in regards to the VOD

-I notice it doesnt take up space on the hard drive. I had like 98% space when I started and after downloading about 6-7 hours of VOD it still shows 98%.....Is there a "hidden" hard drive space?

There is some hidden hard drive space. I know it's used for the 10-15 HD PPV movies that are loaded for instant VOD. However, I thought user downloaded VOD was in the regular hard drive space.

well I got about 8 hours of downloaded stuff (bunch of 1/2 hour shows and stuff) and it still shows 96% empty...and I know that 4% is what I've recorded recently (not downloaded)

so maybe its hidden somewhere

really liking the VOD stuff now that a week or so has gone by and there is more programs in there :)

Yep directv has used 300 and 320GB drives primarily in the low recording volume receivers like the R22 and HR series models that arent the 500gb models. Sometimes a refurbed one thats supposed to get a 300/320GB drive gets a 500. Probably because the refurbishing people ran out of 300/320's and the price difference is about $3.

Those will record a bunch of SD content, and most of the VOD stuff unless specifically marked is SD/480p. In fact, what I've seen of the garden variety free VOD stuff is that I think they lower the bitrate on the encoding quite a bit, which means even lower disk space utilization.

For most mpeg2/vod content, you should see roughly an hour of recordings per GB, with directv taking ~100GB for their own nefarious purposes. That means you should get ~200 hours of SD storage on your drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)