R22...thoughts and questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.
most 1/2 hour shows take about 15-20 minutes to download which is no biggie

Before I went to bed I set up a queue of 10-12 items and they were downloaded this morning

2 questions in regards to the VOD

-I notice it doesnt take up space on the hard drive. I had like 98% space when I started and after downloading about 6-7 hours of VOD it still shows 98%.....Is there a "hidden" hard drive space?
-There is some stuff I saw on HDNet that I might want to download. Since I have a R22 (only receiver on acct so HD not enabled) can I still download it?

answered my own question about HDNet

If you dont subscribe ot it you cant download it...bummer. Thought maybe I could see Inside Nascar without subbing to Showtime ;)

2 questions in regards to the VOD

-I notice it doesnt take up space on the hard drive. I had like 98% space when I started and after downloading about 6-7 hours of VOD it still shows 98%.....Is there a "hidden" hard drive space?

There is some hidden hard drive space. I know it's used for the 10-15 HD PPV movies that are loaded for instant VOD. However, I thought user downloaded VOD was in the regular hard drive space.

well I got about 8 hours of downloaded stuff (bunch of 1/2 hour shows and stuff) and it still shows 96% empty...and I know that 4% is what I've recorded recently (not downloaded)

so maybe its hidden somewhere

really liking the VOD stuff now that a week or so has gone by and there is more programs in there :)

Yep directv has used 300 and 320GB drives primarily in the low recording volume receivers like the R22 and HR series models that arent the 500gb models. Sometimes a refurbed one thats supposed to get a 300/320GB drive gets a 500. Probably because the refurbishing people ran out of 300/320's and the price difference is about $3.

Those will record a bunch of SD content, and most of the VOD stuff unless specifically marked is SD/480p. In fact, what I've seen of the garden variety free VOD stuff is that I think they lower the bitrate on the encoding quite a bit, which means even lower disk space utilization.

For most mpeg2/vod content, you should see roughly an hour of recordings per GB, with directv taking ~100GB for their own nefarious purposes. That means you should get ~200 hours of SD storage on your drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)