Rain Fade VHF vs UHF

wkomorow

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
Berkshire, MA
Sorry for a simple question, but does rain normally increase UHF and scamble VHF channels? My strongest channels have been VHF. With Hanna approaching, I have lost them, but my UHF channels have increased in strength - in fact I am now getting UHF from 150 miles away in PA. Does snow have a similar effect? If so with most of the major channels moving to VHF after Feb and our propensity for snow, I will have trouble getting my local HD channels.

Thanks

Sounds like you were experiencing tropo. With satellite reception ; the higher the frequency; the more chance of rain fade. So I would suspect UHF would be more susceptible than VHF for the same reason. I have experienced rain fade in the past with UHF; but Hanna did not seem to adversly affect VHF, or UHF here today; even during the heaviest rain. There is some good info available on the internet about rain fade; but it mostly pertains to satellite reception.

It seems that wind causes the most weather related reception issues with OTA. This is because of the multipath created by the signal reflections of the moving leaves.

Neither band is significantly affected directly by rain. Other factors in a storm such as wind and lightning have a greater impact.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)