Random Thoughts

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
I think it's time for more of my random thoughts:

1. What the heck is a Yinzer, as HD MM has said in some of his previous posts?

2. What do you consider some of the stupidest sponsorships in sports history? (It can be a bowl game, halftime/pregame show, etc.)

3. The summer-long obsession over Green Bay QB's situation makes me long for hearing about T.O.

4. If Michigan wanted to find a cupcake for the season opener, I have one word: Temple. If The Maize and Blue had scheduled them for last year's opening game, Lloyd would still be coach, IMO.

5. Is it just me, or is Tim Tebow getting more national attention/coverage than Lenart/Quinn ever got in college?

6. If McFadden/Jones had not gone pro, how scary would Petrino's Hogs have been this year?

7. I think the Madden Curse has overtaken the S.I. Jinx.

8. Is the Jets/Dolphins game an early game or a late one?

9. Regardless of F*v*e hogging all the Week a attention, more of us will actually care about the Dallas/Cleveland game.

10. Speaking of which, take a look at the kep position matchups: Romo/Anderson, Owens/Edwards, Winslow/Witten, Lewis/Barber. MUCH better than a certain spotlight-hogger in New York

11. Are there any Cowboy fans on here? Since most of us will be railing against them, there's probably at least ONE supporter of them... right?

12. With this year's HR numbers not as big as they used to be, I think it's obvious that the numbers WERE inflated, literally.'

13. If HD MM is jacked up about this year's Browns and Paul is expecting the worst from the Lions, anyone feeling in-the-middle about their team?

14. One thing I hope to do on here is post a thread/discuss Thanksgiving NFL games. A year ago, DBSForums was down on Turkey Day, and we have two Lions fans who know more about NFL games on Thanksgiving than some of us.

15. I'm surprised nobody has noticed my new signature.

16. I'm amazed at how much vurbano is mocking the Browns for what happened in a PRESEASON GAME!! If my Sabres were getting crushed by the Rangers in a preseason game, I doubt Sandra would mock me about it.

17. Why do the Bears have more Sunday Night Football appearances than the Browns (3 to 1?) The team STINKS!!

18. Is ANYONE going to care about this year's FedEx Cup, since Tiger is still recovering from his surgery?

2. What do you consider some of the stupidest sponsorships in sports history? (It can be a bowl game, halftime/pregame show, etc.)
Not necessarily a stupid sponsorship, but I did find it funny that the Rose Bowl said they would never have a sponsor. Then, when they got one, it wasn't the AT&T Rose Bowl, but instead the Rose Bowl presented by AT&T.

5. Is it just me, or is Tim Tebow getting more national attention/coverage than Lenart/Quinn ever got in college?
He was the first underclassman ever to win the Heisman. Let him get the hype.

I noticed it. I talked about that a good bit on my podcast last year, basically saying that it was good he stuck up for his player, but he probably should have been more worried about giving up 600 yards or so on defense that day.

8. Is the Jets/Dolphins game an early game or a late one?
Jets-Dolphins is a 1pm ET game on CBS. The US Open Men's Final is on at 4pm ET.

9. Regardless of F*v*e hogging all the Week a attention, more of us will actually care about the Dallas/Cleveland game.
After scanning through the week one schedule, this game is without a doubt, the marquee matchup.

14. One thing I hope to do on here is post a thread/discuss Thanksgiving NFL games. A year ago, DBSForums was down on Turkey Day, and we have two Lions fans who know more about NFL games on Thanksgiving than some of us.
My wife and I entertain about twenty guests on Turkey Day, so count me out. I'll be online later, with a turkey sandwich and glass of milk. :D

16. I'm amazed at how much vurbano is mocking the Browns for what happened in a PRESEASON GAME!! If my Sabres were getting crushed by the Rangers in a preseason game, I doubt Sandra would mock me about it.
Consider the source. :rolleyes:

17. Why do the Bears have more Sunday Night Football appearances than the Browns (3 to 1?) The team STINKS!!
I'm with you on that one. I don't get the infactuation with Da Bears.

:)

The funny part is that Gundy's team WON the game where he went on his rant.

Imagine if they lost!
Gundy was ranting at the female sports writer who was giving Bobby Reid a hard time in her column. It wasn't about how the team did that day. Yeah, I noticed the new sig too.

It's another term for Pittsburgher. Yinzer refers to the fact that some Pittsburghers will use the phrase "Yinz guys" (pronounced "yinz gahs") rather than "You guys." It's often used as a derogatory term.

You can read more about the odd Pittsburgh version of English here: Pittsburgh English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. Are there any Cowboy fans on here? Since most of us will be railing against them, there's probably at least ONE supporter of them... right?
There has to be, they are America's Team (TM) after all! Never mind the fact that most of America seems to not like them all that much.

13. If HD MM is jacked up about this year's Browns and Paul is expecting the worst from the Lions, anyone feeling in-the-middle about their team?
Me with the Steelers. I honestly don't know what to expect from them. If they don't have any injuries to their offensive line, which is a freaking gigantic if, they should be alright.

I'm also cautiously optimistic about Pitt football, so I'm not ready to make any outlandish predictions.

I'm very bullish on the Pittsburgh Penguins though. :up

I usually do notice when somebody gets a new signature or an avatar. I just don't see the need to let the poster know that. Others are probably the same way.

She'd probably be too busy talking about that team on Long Island and all their woes. :cool:

However, predicting a team's performance based off of preseason isn't smart. It can tell you something about individual players, but not the team as a whole.
The Browns have three Monday night appearances though. So they'll get their justified national exposure.

18. Is ANYONE going to care about this year's FedEx Cup, since Tiger is still recovering from his surgery?
I don't think anybody cared about it last year. That's what you get when you go against football on Sundays.

To # 2 - that's easy.

In the earlier days of Women's basketball on ESPN, the halftime show was sponsered by Monistat.

Yeah, that's one way to nail your target audience down :)

3. The summer-long obsession over Green Bay QB's situation makes me long for hearing about T.O.
I find it funny that Wal Mart has the Madden '09 games in a Cardboard set up with Farve in the Green Bay Jersey...
More than one of us America's Team fans here ;)

1 - PITTSBURGHESE .com

2 - The US Postal Service cycling team in the Tour De France. Nobody in France can use the USPS and nobody in the USA has any choice but to, at least for regular mail.

4 - At some point, when no element of your school constituantacy (students, alumni, local community) care, its time to drop football. MEMO: Temple, DROP FOOTBALL.

7 - Is there any actual person (as opposed to a library, dentist's office, etc) that still takes SI.

8 - Early, and its CBS single game week with 7 other games it has rights to. Most people will not see it.

Browns thoughts generally - The love of the Browns is a sad religion. Never have so many loved something for so little reason.

Yinzer ,

1. A person lacking in sophistication or even rudimentary intelligence.

2. Someone who makes little money and wears nothing but Pittsburgh athletic apparel i.e. Pirates, Steelers and Penguins.

3. Someone who inexplicably uses the word "yinz" in place of "you" or "you guys".

4. An individual who resides in the insular western region of Pennsylvania and may or may not have a DUI conviction.

5. Someone that would attend an Reo Speedwagon concert.
A Yinzer named Denise Plumbowski of Lower Burrell, was arrested for DUI after her 94 burgundy Pontiac with a Penguins decal and license plate reading "STLR" swerved off the road.

Really, I couldn't make this stuff up myself. Please reference the Urban Dictionary for this meaning.....

Urban Dictionary: yinzer

I agree. The Madden Curse is STRONG. I feel bad for Green Bay or F*. We will find out soon which one got the curse.

Oh Yeah! Can't freaking wait! I'm pumped out of my gourd!

10. Speaking of which, take a look at the key position matchups: Romo/Anderson, Owens/Edwards, Winslow/Witten, Lewis/Barber. MUCH better than a certain spotlight-hogger in New York.

This is definitely a matchup displaying some serious offensive talent. Although, Dallas is lacking at the 2nd WR position. All the attention will be focused on shutting down TO, which is never an easy task btw. The Browns have Stallworth to compliment Braylon. Who do the Cowfolk have?

Here we go Brownies, here we go! Woof Woof!

12. With this year's HR numbers not as big as they used to be, I think it's obvious that the numbers WERE inflated, literally.'

I agree. Strange coincidence, don't you think?

I'm a little uneasy with the injuries a few key Browns have suffered recently. Most notably: Josh Cribbs with a high ankle sprain. With 3 weeks to go before the regular season, I hope he heals quick!

The wife and I may be hosting Thanksgiving Dinner this year. I will have to post foood pictures in the new "What's Cooking" section of SG.

I don't recognize that. Is it a quote? Clearly you're not 40 years old Sabres.

I will refer to V* from now on as "Skippy". As in Skip Clueless (Bayless). They are both similar in that they both are constant contrarians that get kicks out of ruffling feathers. No respect for either one of them.

Viewers want to see a meltdown from Kyle- "the bottle"- Orton. It would make for great TV! ;)

Not really. Tiger is definitely missed. However, the one guy who is stepping up his game in his absence is Padraig Harrington.

Last edited:
Browns thoughts generally - The love of the Browns is a sad religion. Never have so many loved something for so little reason.

Check their rich history. Plus, where I'm from it's a football first town. It's a way of life to root for your team through thick and thin. Under no circumstances would I ever jump ship just to root for a different "winner". For me, it's Browns first: Win or Lose.

I will refer to V* from now on as "Skippy". As in Skip Clueless (Bayless). They are both similar in that they both are constant contratians that get kicks out of ruffling feathers. No respect for either one of them.

:haha:haha I knew it!! LMAO!!! When I saw you referring to him as "Skip" the first time, I knew EXACTLY where you were going with it. :D BTW, good call!!! :up

4. If Michigan wanted to find a cupcake for the season opener, I have one word: Temple. If The Maize and Blue had scheduled them for last year's opening game, Lloyd would still be coach, IMO.

Dont think so, Loyld wanted that last ride with those seniors. He would have moved on, AP state or not...I think

Lenart was up there in coverage, cann it a tie

I agree

10. Speaking of which, take a look at the kep position matchups: Romo/Anderson, Owens/Edwards, Winslow/Witten, Lewis/Barber. MUCH better than a certain spotlight-hogger in New York

Anyone scared about what anderson is going to do this year. HDMM convince me I should still take him as my QB for my fanatsy team!!!

Yea....intresting and the players who were linked but dened that are still playing are sucking it up..One example is a certain player on our tiger team

I am thinking maybe lione can be 7-9 anything else would need guys to have outstanding seasons!

Love the turkey day, Win or lose here in motown its a tradition to load up on the turkey and watch the games. Especially now thats its three

Anyone scared about what anderson is going to do this year. HDMM convince me I should still take him as my QB for my fanatsy team!!!

In '07 Derek Anderson led the Browns to a 10-6 overall record, 10-5 in games in which he started (Frye started 1st game of '07). Anderson finished with 29 touchdowns. This was 5th highest among all QB's last year. If he started from the beginning of the season, it's conceivable that DA would've ended up with 32+ TD's and trail only Brady and Romo for most TD's thrown last year.

Anderson is now in his second year as a starting QB. He will benefit from last years experience and I think will do even better this year.

DA got sacked only 14 times last year which was a league low among starting QB's. This means he has a solid offensive line protecting him which in return, will allow him to do his thing.

DA also has one of the best WR/TE combinations in the league to throw to in Edwards and Winslow. The Browns also picked up another offensive weapon for DA this year in Donte Stallworth. This should give him even more options in the passing game.

Convinced yet?

BTW, are you in a rotary draft or auction league? If rotary, which pick do you have?

BTW, are you in a rotary draft or auction league? If rotary, which pick do you have?[/QUOTE]

I am picking 9th in a ten team draft serpentine style. I am pegging him as my sixth round pick..

What are you hearing locally about brady getting playing time, its sounds like nationally I get the feeling they will put him in quickly??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts