Random Thoughts

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
NHL opening week edition...

1. Jose Canseco is STILL smuggling steroids across the border? He gets stopped with a woman and her minor daughter in the car with him, along with the illegal substance? Salt of the earth, that guy.

2. Everything falling just right for the Cowboys, huh?

3. Poor Stephon is a sub now...

4. These are not the Yankees' Red Sox. At least this isn't what I'm used to seeing.

5. Having said that, if any team can come from down 3-1, it's the Papis.

6. OK, LA, now you're getting to see why Yankee fans were not completely broken-hearted when Joe Torre left. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the man, and everything he did for us. But some of his in-game management skills left a lot to be desired...especially the use of his pitching staff. We've had one too many Derek Lowe moments here.

7. I'm at a youth soccer tournament on Sunday, so I record the Red Zone Channel, and when I get home I fast forward to the beginning of the fourth quarter of the early games. All the guys at the field know not to tell me the scores of any of the games, but I do hear the Jets are winning while waiting in line to go to the bathroom! But that's all I know.

If there has been a better hour of television the last few years, I must have missed it. The Falcons/Bears game had to be seen to be believed, the finish (if not the rest of the) Lions/Vikings was amazing, the Rams winning and then losing and then winning against the Redskins, the crazy quarterback draw on fourth down in the Dolphins/Texans game...wow.

Andrew Siciliano deftly took us to every important play in every game, sometimes showing two screens when big plays were happening at the same time. How did I live without this all these years?

Then I fast-forwarded to the amazing fourth quarter and OT of the Cowboys/Cardinals. Unbelievable.

8. When are coaches going to stop with the timeout right before the potential game winning/tieing field goal? You're going to look like a genius or a dope 50% of the time, and that's not a good ratio for an NFL head coach.

9. The Rays in the World Series? A World Series game in the St. Pete dome? Goodness.

10. What are you guys doing without your tennis hottie fix? Do you go to the Tennis channel to watch the Zurich Open, or do you switch to ogling college football cheerleaders instead?

11. I love Manny Ramirez in full 'Hold me back' mode in the 'brawl' with the Phillies. He made sure lots of Dodgers were in between him and a Phillie before he got so upset.

12. The Rangers are 5-0 and their first line had done nothing.

13. Is Henrik going through a side door or something?

14. Everyone gets everything right in hindsight, so let me say I'm at my niece's middle school soccer game Monday afternoon, and I tell a dad I have a bad feeling about the Giant game tonight. The Browns are better than their record, Cleveland always gets way up for Monday night home games, the G-men are due for a letdown...it has all the makings of a trap. Mike Francessa that day talks about the Giants being a juggernaut, the best team in the league, Coughlin has done a masterful job of motivation, yada yada yada. So yesterday after the game, he says everything I said Monday AFTERNOON about it being a trap game. Hmmm....Sandra and Evan in the mid-day?

15. Whoever on here said LA crowds are terrible, should apologize right now. Dodger playoff crowds have been on-time, loud, and totally into the game. We're waiting...

16. Funny how Brodeur has been crumbling when facing the adorable goalie the last few years.

17. Fantastic start to the NHL season. High scoring games, comebacks, and the good guys are in first place...at the moment, anyway. Can we start the playoffs right now, so we don't have to go through Henrik's annual mid-season swoon?

18. Time to try to get into the mind of a guy. If you have a teammate (or a friend), like Larry Johnson, who has just been accused of hitting a woman for the third time, does that disgust you, or do you ignore it? I mean, next to hitting a child, hitting a woman is about the worst thing you can do...isn't it? Attacking a person who is defenseless, much weaker, etc....it doesn't get much more cowardly than that. I cannot put into words how repulsed I am.

19. Does it get more suprising than the Leafs walking into self-proclaimed hockeytown and beating the Wings opening night?

20. Great to see Hockey Night in Canada Saturday night in spectacular HD. Wow. I missed Bob Cole, and they had a glitch and didn't carry the After Hours segment after the second game, but it was amazing nonetheless.

21. If you want to see how a sport should be covered on television, watch Hockey Night in Canada.

22. It must be said, NHL on the Fly on NHL Network is also pretty darned good. So nice to have hockey back.

23. I like teams that have only two uniforms, home and away. I'll give an allowance for throwbacks, but pretty soon you're going to be seeing lots of third jerseys in the NHL, and it's just annoying. The worst that I can think of right now is the Mets, who have 65 (last count I heard) combinations of shirts, hats, etc...and it's all for marketing. The Yankees don't do everything right, but they do their uniform right.

24. I hate to admit the 'Cleveland Cleavage' in the Lingerie Football thread made me laugh.

25. Ratatouille was excellent. My niece and nephew said it was just OK, but Aunt Sandy said it was terrific. Pixar takes animation to a whole new level.

26. Gotta love the French. They announced they're going to abandon any soccer match where the French national anthem is booed. This is apparently in response to a game against Tunisia, in France, where a lot of Tunisian fans booed the French national anthem.

Let's see if I've got this straight. With a full stadium, everyone is supposed to walk out and go home? OK. I'm sure THAT won't lead to any riots. Oh my.

27. Will the NHL please go back to the home team wearing white, already? And while you're at it, throw away the 'bonus point' for a team that loses in OT or a shootout. It has been rendered totally unnecessary. Hey, if the Blackhawks can televise home games, anything is possible.

28. Oklahoma City Thunder doesn't quite roll off the tongue yet.

29. I hate all pre-season sports, but I hate pre-season basketball the most.

30. I don't want to forget the 'Franchise that God Forgot'. If you think it was bad before, you haven't seen anything yet. Off to a 1-2 start, which is good, since the last thing I want is for them to finish last, and draft John Tavares.

For those of you who think they are somehow a New York team, you can think again. The Rangers dominate all of NYC, and split New Jersey and Long Island. The Devils split New Jersey with the Rangers, and the Buffoon-landers are left with some Long Islanders who remember some success from a quarter-century ago.

Seriously, it's getting really bad. Start with the wacky saga of Goalie 2021, who for some reason hasn't been able to play in the first three games, but has dressed as backup for all three. He's been having knee problems, but the organization won't say if he's hurt or not. Jody MacDonald has abandoned his radio duties to play goal the first three games, with Goalie 2021 watching in a baseball cap as MacDonald lets in seven against the Sabres Monday afternoon. Jody Mac (actually a career minor league goalie) is not taken out of his misery, and after the game the coach, Scott Gordon, announces he doesn't like to pull goalies. And then someone looks up and sees that in the AHL the last few years he pulled the goalie like 20 times. It's obvious Gordon is just saying what the backup goalie/GM told him to say.

All four fans are annoyed that the team won't announce anything about Goalie 2021. Is he hurt or not? Nobody knows, it's a complete smokescreen. Way to go, clowns...annoy both your fan-base and the press.

When the new coach misses practice for 'personal reasons' yesterday, everyone assumes he's either getting scolded by the backup goalie/GM, or has quit because he realized he's not really running the team. Everyone is allowed to have personal problems, of course, but people suddenly quitting this franchise has happened before...a few times.

People complain about Dolan, and I don't like him either, but compared to Wang he's like the owner of the year. Wang's fingerprints are all over every personnal and administrative move, and he's constantly making decisions that would not possibly be made by a hockey person. Forcing out Nolan was the icing on the cake. In true Jerk-lander form they somehow made the playoffs two years ago and took it to the Rangers and Devils last year, but Snow (Wang) didn't like something about him, so now he's gone. And so are the hopes of the team.

It's no wonder, one by one, embarassed fans are turning in their team paraphenalia and saying 'Listen, I just can't take it anymore. I tried...I really did. But enough is enough already.'

I can't think of any team in any sport, except perhaps the Washington Generals, whose future is quite so dim. The project to build or expand the arena was extremely doubtful BEFORE the downturn. The arena is the dump of all dumps, a team who needs every ounce of good press they can get goes out of their way to provide none, the coach's hands are already tied...

Oh my.

Sandra

19. Does it get more suprising than the Leafs walking into self-proclaimed hockeytown and beating the Wings opening night?

Considering how they got b*tch-slapped by the Habs a few days later, yes.

29. I hate all pre-season sports, but I hate pre-season basketball the most.

I rank it second behind pre-season football. Remember, the Lions were UNDEFEATED in the preseason!

30. I don't want to forget the 'Franchise that God Forgot'. If you think it was bad before, you haven't seen anything yet. Off to a 1-2 start, which is good, since the last thing I want is for them to finish last, and draft John Tavares.

Is he supposed to be this year's Sidney Crosby?

So far, I think the Kings are my pick for worst team.

Sandy, I think you could do a better job of playing goalie than whomever the L.A. Kings have.

14. Everyone gets everything right in hindsight, so let me say I'm at my niece's middle school soccer game Monday afternoon, and I tell a dad I have a bad feeling about the Giant game tonight. The Browns are better than their record, Cleveland always gets way up for Monday night home games, the G-men are due for a letdown...it has all the makings of a trap. Mike Francessa that day talks about the Giants being a juggernaut, the best team in the league, Coughlin has done a masterful job of motivation, yada yada yada. So yesterday after the game, he says everything I said Monday AFTERNOON about it being a trap game. Hmmm....Sandra and Evan in the mid-day?

Cleveland definitely got up for the first Monday Night Football game ever against your J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets. To refresh your memory:

1. Browns 31, New York Jets 21 -- Sept. 21, 1970 at Cleveland (85,703 in attendance) -- A record Browns home crowd watched as the club, in its first game after joining the re-made AFL, the AFC, bolted to a 14-0 lead and then sealed the win when linebacker Billy Andrews intercepted a Joe Namath pass and returned it 25 yards for a touchdown late in the game to complete the scoring.

Prior to a few days ago, Cleveland's last Monday night came against the at-the-time-invincible-49ers
(Last year, San Fran got blindsided by Cleveland.

The 49ers used to be gods of the gridiron once? Hard to believe they used to be good.)

Also, Cleveland's last playoff game at home- considering who was the Browns' coach and who the opponent was- that is the epitome of irony.

Prior to a few days ago, Cleveland's last Monday night came against the at-the-time-invincible-49ers
(Last year, San Fran got blindsided by Cleveland.

The 49ers used to be gods of the gridiron once? Hard to believe they used to be good.)

Also, Cleveland's last playoff game at home- considering who was the Browns' coach and who the opponent was- that is the epitome of irony.

The AFC Wild Card game against the Pats with Belichick coaching the Browns?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)