Rasberry pi

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Am highjacking this thread... (please thank Popcorn for peaking my interest :popcorn)

Added XBMC to Linux, now these "live" channels that was previous mentioned, how can they be added? Cant seem to locate any add-on/plug-in anywhere.

Cheers, K

Last edited:
This thread should be moved to "The Video Streaming \ IPTV Discussion" forum. I only added my comments after seeing the thread on the Raspberry Pi.

Kraven, I sent you an IM about how to receive the "live" channels. Just perform some Google searches and you will find a lot more information on the subject. Be warned that these channels come and go like FTA satellite and there is no channel guide. The same goes for picture quality as some are poor, some are good, some are very good and some are stunning.

For me it's just a fascinating hobby that I highly enjoy. I find that I spend most of my time searching and trying out new video streams than I do actually watching TV.

I did however watch 'The Haunting of Roddy Piper" this morning on BIO HD that was very good.

well the thread was meant to discuss the pi so its ok :) radio shack also has cases and add ons was looking at the power adaptor that you can add 4 channels of up to 35 volts from ... i was thinking of it maybe powering a big dish actuator .... where i'm currently located i don't have space or bench or even dishes to play with so all i can do is read :)

Got it setup (XBMC and what not on a dedicated laptop). It was fun but am leaving it at that.
Last thing I need is my parents (and you guys) watching COPS one saturday night and see the men in blue break down my door... then being chased by 4-5 of them without my shirt on down the street.....no thanks.

Cheers, K

I believe XBMC is as legal as FTA satellite. With FTA satellite you are purchasing equipment to view programming that is unscrambled. With XBMC you are basically doing the same with unscrambled video streams.

PLEX which was part of XBMC is available as a ROKU approved channel within the ROKU channel store. Using PLEX you can view VOD from channels such as ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, History, A&E, HGTV, FOOD and many other channels.

XBMC (Xbox Media Center) has been available for over 10 years and is being used by millions of people via Raspberry Pi, Ouya, laptops, desktops, Apple TV, etc.

I just did a search to see if XBMC is legal. Most people say it is, because it simply provides links to video streams that already exist. For example you can go onto ABC's website and view last night's primetime episode's.

In fact, within Window's 8 application store you can install apps to watch programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, ABC Family, Three Stooges, Filmon Channels, Pink Panther Cartoons and many others. Google Chrome offers many other video streaming sites as well.

Even Leo from Screensavers \ TWIT uses XBMC and PLEX.

Listen to Sky FM today, they had a lot of music streams in different genre.

I was on XBMC looking for a live stream of CNBC so I can follow the market as I work around the garage.

If any one finds it please send me the info

love my Raspberry Pi

Quick google search on the legality was inconclusive. No doubt XBMC on its own is legal. However, with various add-ons, if am able to watch first run movies, Sport PPVs and True Blood live at 9pm then...am fairly certain it aint legal. However, like I mentioned, I couldnt get a legit confirmation anywhere.

Cheers, K

Now my curiosity is piqued. I thought all raspberry pi was doing was conveniently allowing access for video streams already available via PC on the Internet. That would obviously be legal. But, Kraven, you say your are able to receive first run movies, sports PPV...that obviously would not be legal. That sounds more like bit torrent. So which is it? With pi, do you receive protected content (scrambled or not), or do you only receive content that anybody can receive using a common PC hooked to the web?

No reason why it cant be used for satellite either ? doesnt have to be limited to IPTV. If I remember right though it wont do 4:2:2, I do have one just havent played with it yet. No time

UDL

Interesting reading -- an inferred reference, this thread and Google / Wiki is that this functionality is available for windows laptops... What programs and where would I find them? Please remember, my data banks are full of old data and de-fragging my soft drive requires a death experience, so go easy on me...
POP

rv1pop: Read this post. If you think you are going to get those channels all for free, you better get used to wearing a striped suit, learn to become a birdman like Burt Lancaster, and practice spelling "A-l-c-a-t-r-a-z" for your address.

Thanks, but my programs are streamed free, but I am not getting the through put that I need, from my internet connection. The information I read indicates recording the streams for later replay. My main streaming is off BVOV.TV; I get 5 second of viewing 3 seconds of buffering and repeat. Watching the program is not really possible. If I can try it on my computer and it works --WOW!

My daughter's bosses would find out in a hurry if I was doing something "sick bird".

rv1pop: Read this post. If you think you are going to get those channels all for free, you better get used to wearing a striped suit, learn to become a birdman like Burt Lancaster, and practice spelling "A-l-c-a-t-r-a-z" for your address.

This is what Navi-X posted on their website:

Issue: Is Navi-X or XBMC a "hacking" tool?

Explanation: No. Navi-X is an app, integrated with a user database with links to media content and a series of hosted scrapers and processors. More information on what these are can be found on our home page when you create a free account on Navi-Xtreme. These scrapers and processors, pull in website content into a list then resolve the URL's for media directly to a media center's player. No hacking is required to aggregate publicly accessible data from a website.

Quickly scanning that Google link, I see nothing but free TV or video. No HBO, for example. Common sense tells you, regardless what justification companies like Navi-X may state in their own self-interest, accessing for free any service that charges a fee to the masses, is illegal. If this works as you say that you can access video-for-pay content on demand for free, then lawyers will eventually get hired and put a stop to this. You are defrauding the content originator any way you describe it. If it works as you say, this is the modern version of FTA pirating of encrypted signals. Do you remember in the early days of satellite TV that nothing was encrypted since no private citizen had the technology to watch it so there was no reason for encryption?

This link also takes you to lots of free TV from around the world: http://wwitv.com/

Last edited:
I simply wanted people to know that the Raspberry Pi was indeed a good $35 computer that can be used in many projects including using it as a home theater media center. It streams HD video and works very well for only having 512MB of memory and a 700MHz CPU.

As far as XBMC the add-ons are experimental. Like an FTA channel they can come and go with no notice and provide no viewing guide. Because not everyone's high speed internet can handle the HD streams many experience numerous picture breakups and the quality varies from very poor to excellent.

I read some things about this that piqued my interest - but your comment says - no... Does this record a complete stream for later playback? if NO then it will not work for me! LOWEST 2% of "speedtest" USA wide!
I simply wanted people to know that the Raspberry Pi was indeed a good $35 computer that can be used in many projects including using it as a home theater media center. It streams HD video and works very well for only having 512MB of memory and a 700MHz CPU. >>snip<<
. Because not everyone's high speed internet can handle the HD streams many experience numerous picture breakups and the quality varies from very poor to excellent.

Do you remember in the early days of satellite TV that nothing was encrypted since no private citizen had the technology to watch it so there was no reason for encryption?[/URL]

Back in the early 80's using a 10.5' C-band dish along with a DX Antenna satellite receiver I received "Playboy", "Nickelodeon", "USA", "ESPN", "Showtime", "HBO", "TBS", "Weather", "WGN" and many other ITC channels for several years. Was this illegal?

The live and on-demand channels available using XBMC are freely available on the internet ITC just like those early days of satellite.

I also probably would have lousy 'reception' as what they purvey as 'high speed' internet is really not that fast. Advertised speed is 4 times what I get in a speedtest that's NOT on the ISP's server. Even the ISP's speedtest is maybe 40% slower than advertised'. Maybe those close to a backbone wouldn't suffer that fate.
Like an FTA channel they can come and go with no notice and provide no viewing guide.
So, is their a 'blindscan' to find them?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)