Rasberry pi

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This seems to be one of the biggest problems. Many customers don't receive the necessary speed to view these video streams without any re-buffering. I even know a few people who can't even view Netflix without any problems.

I just upgraded our DSL from 6 Mbps to 10 Mbps for an additional $15 a month. Our total bill (LAN and DSL) is now $80 a month, so what we save in TV we are applying towards better internet. High speed internet needs to become faster and more affordable for subscribers.

There is no "blind scan" the channels automatically update daily.

I just signed up for a FREE subscription with USTV NOW which includes 7 HD network channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, CW and MyTV). If I share a USTV NOW link on Facebook they will provide FREE PVR features as well. My subscription works with XBMC and on my ROKU devices. The HD video looks excellent on a 50" LED TV. I haven't looked into if there are limitations on just how many hours you can watch with a free subscription. I know there is with a free Aereo subscription.

Update: The FREE subscription of 7 HD network channels is good for 45 days. You must then become a paid subscriber to continue watching in HD.

Last edited:
This seems to be one of the biggest problems. Many customers don't receive the necessary speed to view these video streams without any re-buffering. I even know a few people who can't even view Netflix without any problems.

I just upgraded our DSL from 6 Mbps to 10 Mbps for an additional $15 a month. Our total bill (LAN and DSL) is now $80 a month, so what we save in TV we are applying towards better internet. High speed internet needs to become faster and more affordable for subscribers.

There is no "blind scan" the channels automatically update daily.

I just signed up for a FREE subscription with USTV NOW which includes 7 HD network channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, CW and MyTV). If I share a USTV NOW link on Facebook they will provide FREE PVR features as well. My subscription works with XBMC and on my ROKU devices. The HD video looks excellent on a 50" LED TV. I haven't looked into if there are limitations on just how many hours you can watch with a free subscription. I know there is with a free Aereo subscription.

Popcorn, what OS do you use for Raspberry Pi and do you use the Openelect version of XBMC???

Mike

Mike, I'm currently using Raspbmc on the Raspberry Pi. I read that in some cases Openelect is a little faster, but Raspbmc has been working very well for me.

I just noticed that "TLC", "Discovery", "Animal Planet", "Nickelodeon" and "Looney Tunes" channels have been recently added to Windows 8 within the app store allowing viewing of full episodes of your favorite shows. Using XBMC simply allows these on-demand episodes to be viewed on your TV.

Yes, it is expensive. It costs $29 a month for basic, $65 a month for extended and $99 for their biggest package.

It's just good to view the 45 day preview just to see how good other services such as Aereo could be.

I'm not sure how you can consider any internet-broadcast source that is a channel typically requiring payment to view to be legit under few if any circumstances. It's not FTA, it's the internet, that kills any kind of metaphor or parallel.

National Geographic, Speed, Reelz, National Geographic Wild and other channels often become ITC on Galaxy 17 C band. These channels typically require payment. So I guess you are saying it is illegal to view these channels via FTA satellite?

National Geographic, Speed, Reelz, National Geographic Wild and other channels often become ITC on Galaxy 17 C band. These channels typically require payment. So I guess you are saying it is illegal to view these channels via FTA satellite?

Here's the distinction that needs to be made: are the Internet streams providing free and clear by the channels themselves? If so, then your FTA analogy works. However, if these streams are from an illicit source (end user who has decided to broadcast a stream online), then viewing it would not be lawful.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Who's broadcasting them? That's your answer.

Do you really think people illegally streaming channels and you viewing them is the same as what is going on with FTA?

Or do you really think this is some HBO-sanctioned feed, and people just find them FTA-style so it's OK? They just keep switching things up to keep you on your toes, rather than the channels being shut down for being illegal and others popping up...?

Come on guys, how can you really suggest this is legit? The FTA stuff is completely different. Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it free or legal.

What these guys are saying are true I have a raspberry Pi myself and installed XBMC with Navi X and saw these channels. They are not legal (emphasis on the not) to watch. They are being streamed by people who have a legit cable or satellite subscription, or if it's a local channel, via OTA, and are streaming them on the internet which is then viewable by the Raspberry Pi with this extension on XBMC. Watching these streams are *NOT* put out by the original broadcaster nor are they authorized by the origional broadcaster. In the case of FTA, hacking dish network or bell would make you violate (here in canada) the radio communications act, in which you are deciphering an encrypted signal unauthorized by the broadcaster. In the case of this extension on the Pi, you are breaking copyright law. It is literally the EXACT same law that would get you in trouble if you download a movie off of the pirate bay... SAME LAW. In Canada that is punishable with a $5000 fine, in the US it is even more. So if you ask me it's not worth it, ESPECIALLY after the whole NSA Spying thing going on you're just asking for trouble.

So if you want to watch TV for free, stick to OTA, FTA (true fta that is, not this pirate stuff), and authorized streams over the net by the broadcasters.

You guys bring up some good points. I believe there is a mixture of real channel streams ITC and people illegally streaming channels. Many TV shows are available on YouTube (Mr. Ed, The Partridge Family, Green Acres, etc.) by people who copied TV DVD box sets. This I feel is probably illegal, but for some reason they do exist.

I was watching the network HD streams from USTV NOW tonight and they look very good. Their $29 basic channel package probably isn't a bad deal compared to other providers, especially since no setup box is needed.

Makes me wonder why channels such as "Justin TV" and "Ustream" are able to provide illegal video streams. Like I said previously, even YouTube offers many TV shows and movies.

Anyway, my point of this thread is that the Raspberry Pi is able to stream HD video very well and can be used in so many other projects. Well worth $35 in my opinion.

They are being streamed by people who have a legit cable or satellite subscription, or if it's a local channel, via OTA, and are streaming them on the internet which is then viewable by the Raspberry Pi with this extension on XBMC.

If this is true I find it interesting that these people are able to provide a higher quality video stream than Dish Network, DirecTV and Cable TV.

MCM hit a gold mine with some pi.
?

If you want to use the Raspberry Pi as a home media center you need to purchase model B ($35) which has an Ethernet port as well as an extra USB port.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)