Rasberry pi

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If this is true I find it interesting that these people are able to provide a higher quality video stream than Dish Network, DirecTV and Cable TV.

Most of them are, some of them are authorized streams from channels, but most are streams by people who don't have authorization to stream them.

Anyway regards to the raspberry pi itself, it's a really awesome device for shell stuff too, not just for a media center. If you know how a typical GNU/Linux system works then you'd have everything you need. Considering it's only an ARMv6 700MHz processor, I did put a real minecraft server on it one time and it handled about 4 players before it began lagging. It doesn't handle too much TNT though :p

There is also a raspberry pi version of minecraft if you're into it as well that can be played on the Pi since the graphics are pretty impressive.

I also sent two raspberry pi's to a data center in europe to be colocated, one running a mail server and the other a small web server lol, so all in all they're pretty fun devices :p

I bought and have one. It's my plan to use it to go out and (I think the term is) scrape various weather sites for up to the minute satellite, radar, hurricane tracks and forecasts and display it in one of the video panes of my home security camera display.

I had a batch file, I guess you could call it that, that would do just that and display the stuff in a loop. But I had to manually invoke it every few hours, I hadn't figured out how to do it automatically yet.

Then we had a power failure glitch and it trashed the operating system and I had to reinstall it from scratch because repairing Linux isn't on my list of fun things to do.

Now it's just sitting there, I haven't had the ambition to mess with it since. But since hurricane season is upon us I suppose I better get back to it...

Another thing I want to do with it is set it up so that I can log into it from my iPhone and close or open my garage door from anywhere. I'm very forgetful and paranoid about "Did I close the garage door?" 30 seconds after driving away and every 2 minutes there after. I know it can be done, I just don't know how. Yet.

I think it's wonderful because it's a functional PC that uses almost no electricity and generates no heat. I also got a tiny little wireless keyboard/trackpad that's the size of a remote control. It's a bit annoying for my fumbly fingers but it beats having ANOTHER keyboard on my desk and more wires.

I wouldn't mind having a few more of them, I can think of all sorts of things they could be used for, namely monitoring things from remote and controlling things from remote..
And the price is very affordable.

?I like it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)