Receiver - Leased vs. owned

WhitePolarBear

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Gulf Coast Texas
I have the basic set up - 322 with dish 500. American 100 + local channels.

I know I can buy those receiveer and/or DVR from places like Radioshack or ebay. Can anyone explain to me what's the plus and minus between leased and owned receiver? (up front cost, monthly cost, tech supports, etc.)

I have the basic set up - 322 with dish 500. American 100 + local channels.

I know I can buy those receiveer and/or DVR from places like Radioshack or ebay. Can anyone explain to me what's the plus and minus between leased and owned receiver? (up front cost, monthly cost, tech supports, etc.)
The only advantage of owning over leasing is you can sell the receiver when you are done using it. Of course there has to be a market for it, with MPEG4 on the horizon what value will MPEG2 receivers have?

I have bought all my equipment in the past as mainly I do not want to be locked into a 18 month contract.

Other bonuses are yes you can sell it, you dont have to wait for a tech to install it, and you dont need techs to come to your home which is another big one for me.

The downsides are you pay more upfront, you may have issues if the equipment breaks, and if you need a service call that can get complicated. I dont know what the exact rule is when replacing/warrenty on owned equipment. Ive heard it many ways.

If I buy my equipment, do I still need to pay an additional monthly fee to Dish for each new receiver?

I have actually had to install two of my own recievers...1 622 and a 722, and just had to return the defective recievers. So maybe not always the case for having to wait for a tech to install a returned reciever.

I prefer to own. my first Dish system cost me $5 and the receiver lasted over 8 years before it went belly up. can't beat that.
my replacement receiver cost $100 so I now have $105 in equipment over about a 10 yr period.
plus, I did my own install which I prefer.
I hate all these "FREE" equipment offers that don't mention a rental fee. or it's buried in the small print.

I have 3 DISH accounts and I own all of my receivers. There are many advantages like no commitment and I can sell the receivers on E-bay if I want or trade them in towards credit for a newer receiver at dishdepot.com. I 've done all my receivers through Mark and dishdepot and he is cool to work with and charges no tax for anything since I don't live in Florida. Also puts the return label in the box or emails it to me so I can send in the trade in, in the same box he sends the new receiver in. I installed all of my accounts with new dishes and the receivers too. I also have a Directv account for one show my wife wants : Passions soap on the 101. Unfortunately Directv only allows lease deals now for any new subs.

1st account : 722 and two 622 dvrs ( me and my wife and son)
2nd account: 622 ( parents)
3rd account: 501 ( Aunt )

I want to follow up on this thread with my own concern:

I am out of contract with Dish 622 from DishNetwork, I had paid $200 to them about 13 months ago, no monthly fee, I had a HD promo package.

It's over, but now I get charged a Dishenabling HD fee of $6, which I hate.

I have a second receiver from Dish which is a 322, I had my own 322 as well, but when I talked to Dish they told me they would still charge me $5 month for the additional receiver, so I am using theirs.

Now - I don't want HD - it's too expensive my costs are rising high, I dont think I can downgrade my 622 from Dish without getting in a contract.

Can I purchase a 522 from eBay and install it to use, and just pay the $6 DVR fee? Or will I be charged $5 fee as well, i wouldn't think so since it would be my primary receiver.

Thanks!!

I'm the same way as others I just like to own my own stuff. I have an advantge that I have been installing this stuff for years so if something breaks I do my own fixes. If you lease you can have dish come and fix it, if you don't know what you are doing with this stuff. Right now there is no real advantage to owning esp. with mpeg2 receivers(unless you are real tech savvy or do it for a living). Just my thoughts on it.

what if i leased 3 receivers is this a $5 a month times 3 to lease them and $5 a month times 2 to have the other two as additional ? Also is this leasing thing like a car or do you pay $5 a month for as long as you have the receiver??

what if i leased 3 receivers is this a $5 a month times 3 to lease them and $5 a month times 2 to have the other two as additional ? Also is this leasing thing like a car or do you pay $5 a month for as long as you have the receiver??

If you lease them under the DHA promotion, you don't pay a separate lease fee for the first receiver. It's included in the programming package price.

You would pay a $5 lease fee for each of the 2nd and 3rd receivers for as long as they are active on the account. You will never own them.

You will have an eqiupment warranty for as long as you lease them. You may have to pay for shipping of replacement equipment if you don't have DHPP (extended warranty).

________

If you purchase all 3 receivers, you will of course not have a $5 fee on the first receiver. You will only pay the programming package price (same as the leased equip package price)

You will pay $5 for each of the 2nd and 3rd receivers in the form of an additional receiver "access fee".

You will have a one year equipment warranty as long as the receiver was new when activated. You may have to pay for shipping of replacement equipment if you don't have DHPP (extended warranty). If you do have DHPP, you will have a warranty on your purchased equipment past the first year.

Basically, the point is, you will pay exactly the same monthly for a leased system as you will for a purchased system. It is not any cheaper monthly if you buy your receivers. The $5 lease fee just turns into a $5 A/O fee if you own a receiver.

Wouldnt you still pay an additional reciever fee for each reciever over the first one plus the lease fee? If so, that would make it more to lease.

No, if you lease a receiver, you do not pay an additional outlet fee (only the $5/$6 lease fee). The lease fee takes the place of the A/O fee for a receiver.

(This is not including the $5 A/O fee for a second tuner on a dual tuner receiver if not connected to a phone line. That's a totally separate issue, and the pricing is also mirrored across the leased/owned models. )

$5 for SD models
$6 for HD models

I know I can buy those receiveer and/or DVR from places like Radioshack or ebay.
If only what we thought we knew were true...

So you're up-to-date, you cannot buy receivers at Radio Shack; you pay your drive-off fee and go home with a lease. Most of the receivers on eBay are also leases.

you CAN buy receivers and activate them as long as you have a ss#. also you can go with what's called a free for all where you buy, then get reimbursed your cost @ $5 off your bill until the equipment is paid. you just pay install fee:cool:

I want to follow up on this thread with my own concern:

I am out of contract with Dish 622 from DishNetwork, I had paid $200 to them about 13 months ago, no monthly fee, I had a HD promo package.

It's over, but now I get charged a Dishenabling HD fee of $6, which I hate.

I have a second receiver from Dish which is a 322, I had my own 322 as well, but when I talked to Dish they told me they would still charge me $5 month for the additional receiver, so I am using theirs.

Now - I don't want HD - it's too expensive my costs are rising high, I dont think I can downgrade my 622 from Dish without getting in a contract.

Can I purchase a 522 from eBay and install it to use, and just pay the $6 DVR fee? Or will I be charged $5 fee as well, i wouldn't think so since it would be my primary receiver.

Thanks!!

you can buy a 522 or 625 on e bay, make sure its not a leased unit, return your high def box.

the 522 would be primary wqith a 5 or 6 buck DVR fee, the 322 secondary 5 buck fee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)