Receiver Temperature

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mlbfans

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
Waunakee, Wisconsin
What is a good receiver temperature for my HR24 DVR? When I started, it was 106-108, but when I moved my home theater receiver, it is now 115. Is that too warm?

What is a good receiver temperature for my HR24 DVR? When I started, it was 106-108, but when I moved my home theater receiver, it is now 115. Is that too warm?

No thats not too warm, temp on mine varies as well in the same range.
Of course we have no way of knowing what the actual temp spec are that it was built for.
However my HR24 runs in the same range as yours, my HR20 runs in the 116* to 127* range.

Fyi, you can always add a fan to your cabinet if it's in one if you want, many have and are running MUCH lower.
No word if it's actually helped.

No thats not too warm, temp on mine varies as well in the same range.
Of course we have no way of knowing what the actual temp spec are that it was built for.
However my HR24 runs in the same range as yours, my HR20 runs in the 116* to 127* range.

Fyi, you can always add a fan to your cabinet if it's in one if you want, many have and are running MUCH lower.
No word if it's actually helped.

When I was with Dish, their receiver was so hot you could fry an egg on it, and in a cabinet it constantly froze due to overheating. I tried various things to limited success, a laptop cooler underneath, moving around my components to allow more air around the receiver and less components putting out additional heat, etc. Of course leaving the cabinet door open worked, but looked bad.

Nothing really helped much until I installed a fan in the cabinet. And you need to find a good one, cheaper ones or so loud they're at minimum distracting, or worse yet you have to crank the volume of the TV up so loud it's rediculous.

I went with this one and couldn't be happier: Professional Quiet Fan - HomeTheaterCooling.com

When I was with Dish, their receiver was so hot you could fry an egg on it, and in a cabinet it constantly froze due to overheating. I tried various things to limited success, a laptop cooler underneath, moving around my components to allow more air around the receiver and less components putting out additional heat, etc. Of course leaving the cabinet door open worked, but looked bad.

Nothing really helped much until I installed a fan in the cabinet. And you need to find a good one, cheaper ones or so loud they're at minimum distracting, or worse yet you have to crank the volume of the TV up so loud it's rediculous.

I went with this one and couldn't be happier: Professional Quiet Fan - HomeTheaterCooling.com

That's a nice looking fan, and I've been looking for one for my cabinet in the living room. Only though is damn, $50 for a fan... Nice design though.

How do you tell the temperature of your receiver? Is there a screen on the box to tell you or using a thermometer??

Menu/Set Up/System Set Up/Info and Test/Select/More System Info/Internal Temp

Btw, my Hr24-500 is currently running at 117*

Do these run hotter than the HR22 models? The hottest my HR22 has been is 108. I don't have it in an enclosed cabinet though. I have seen it as low as 99.

I use basically the same fans although I use two at opposing corners/ends and in a push-pull config to promote circulation as well.

My HR24-100 is at 115 degrees. I bought a small fan when I had problems with my DISH 622. I use it occasionally on my Mitsui 57." I don't remember where I bought it, but it was cheap and it is quiet.

Attachments

• IMG_8343.JPG
    IMG_8343.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 241
My DVR that is installed in my Motor Home, gets real hot. I have had it shut down 141 till it gets down to 122. I have tried to find a cooling fan that it would set on. (Like a laptop cooler) They all run on the computer USB port and I do not know if the Directv DVR has one. About the only thing I have been able to do is keep the door open (it folds up) and keep a small fan cliped to it pointed at the area. I am open to any ideas???

My DVR that is installed in my Motor Home, gets real hot. I have had it shut down 141 till it gets down to 122. I have tried to find a cooling fan that it would set on. (Like a laptop cooler) They all run on the computer USB port and I do not know if the Directv DVR has one. About the only thing I have been able to do is keep the door open (it folds up) and keep a small fan cliped to it pointed at the area. I am open to any ideas???

Get a computer fan that runs on a usb connection. All Directv dvrs have a usb port.

I've been in the same position with the recvr (HR20-700) shutting down and it takes quite awhile till it will fire back up.
I've had it shut down from being too cold (NW Ohio and too HOT, Brownsville Texas)...

I recently found what I hope to be a solution, I ran a line down to the Motorhome basement (outside storage) right below the front where the recvr use to be and now mount the recvr in the basement, well see how it responds this winter when I go south.

If it still gets too hot, I can always open the much larger Storage door, vs the small compartment door it was in (up next to the TV), between the Driver and passenger seats.

That is good to know. I had it shut down yesterday and it was not all that hot outside, and it was not on. The area it is in is at the front top above the drivers seat. When it shut down yesterday it was at 152. I am heading back home the end of Oct (been traveling since March). I am going to take a look and see if I can insulate around that area to keep the sun from warming it up. That and a cooler should do the trick.

Heat caused receiver shut down

My DVR was going to 145 degrees and shutting down. It was in the open on a table top. Directv exchanged it at no charge and the new unit runs at 110 to 115 degrees F.

A less expensive fan could be used if it could be installed remotely-allowing air to be removed from the cabinet through a duct of sorts. Similar fans can be purchased for $10 or less from surplus equip. dealers. Heat is the enemy of all things electronic.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts