Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

varaonaid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Hello!

I'm about to order D* and I have a couple of questions I wanted to run by you knowledgeable folks.

The first one may seem incredibly stupid but...out of the possible HD DVR receivers that are currently in rotation, which one would you most prefer to have installed? I mean, do you the the HR-20's or would you feel slighted that you got a receiver that's 4 generations older than the newest models? Are there really any huge differences that I should know about (other than the OTA built into the HR-20)?

Secondly, I plan to get three receivers: an HD-DVR, probably an HD receiver and I'm thinking the last one a standard one. However, we're likely going to upgrade that third TV later this year to one with HD and it would be nice to get the HD channels at that point. Does D* allow you to upgrade a receiver at a later date by swapping it out? If so, does that change the contract at all? Is there anything else I should know about the process?

Thanks in advance. I'm really looking forward to getting D*. After having E* SD for 8 months, I'm really looking forward to having HD again!

Upgrading later, will most likely extend the contract. So, I would either get three HD DVRs or two HD DVRs and one HD receiver. The HD receiver will connect to the SD TV with no problem. Of course, hardware cost could be a problem.

I would personally get yourself a HD DVR and 2 HD receivers. You do not get to pick which model you will have installed.

The reason I say this is, why bother with a SD receiver? You are already paying for the HD Access package on the account which covers all the recievers and as you pointed out your SD TV will be replaced. Just tell them you have 3 HDTV's when you schedule your install. When the installer comes, tell them that the SD TV will be replaced very soon if he asks.

If you "upgrade" later, your contract will be extended. Just get the equipment now and be happy for the next 2+ years. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts