recommendations anyone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

boomer_106

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Ok first a little info to help. I have a 10 ft mesh dish very small holes. Would easily pass pencil test. Receiver is Uniden Supra. Right now it's C band only. I am only really interested in SPORTS. I could care less about HBO, Cinemax etc. I want to add KU band for the wildfeeds. There are quite a few sports feeds on there from what I understand.

I am figuring on the Chaparral co rotor dual feedhorn. Is this the best choice for the price?

What KU band LNB do you recommend and why? If you use a particular one and it works great or have one and it doesnt work well I'd love to hear about it. I dont want to spend more than is necessary but, at the same time I dont want to go to cheap and suffer problems.

Are there many free feeds on 4dtv? Any reason sportswise for me to get 4dtv?

Finally any network feeds on KU? CBS, NBC, Fox or has it all gone digital?

Anything else you think would be of interest to me is welcomed. Thanks alot guys.

Well I would grab a Corrotor II plus, and a Norsat 4506a for best reception. For sports, if you join internet groups and are in the right forums, you will get many sports feeds, the 4dtv is best for movies music and high quality picture, but at the price they are now I would grab one, and slave a dvb box to it, and you should be able to get most of what you want free. Give skyvision a call they should be able to give you a good deal on a 922 and a Pansat 2500a if bought together, with the proper splitters and the switch to connect them all.

Hello Boomer 106 and welcome to SatelliteGuys.US!

Right now we are lucky enough to have all the networks in digital format on KU (mostly on the G10R satellite 123w) I am the same as you I could care less for HBO and movie channels, I really enjoy the sports and feeds! I do not have C-band yet but hopefully it will not be too long, all the best!

PSB said:
Hello Boomer 106 and welcome to SatelliteGuys.US!

Right now we are lucky enough to have all the networks in digital format on KU (mostly on the G10R satellite 123w) I am the same as you I could care less for HBO and movie channels, I really enjoy the sports and feeds! I do not have C-band yet but hopefully it will not be too long, all the best!

Hey thanks alot PSB! You say the networks are in digital format. Does that mean I would need to have a 4dtv to receive it? I would assume I do. So I guess you are in the opposite boat as me. You have KU but not C? Is there alot of programming on KU? Thanks for the help.

Hey tdti thanks for your response. I have responded to you 3 times but, they arent showing up so I am trying again. Sounds like I am on the right track with the feedhorn. Any special reason for the Norsat 4506a? I found it at one place for like $152. Is that about right? A place called daves web shop has a .5db astrotel for $40. Is that an inferior quality lnb? Would I be sorry going with a more reasonable priced unit? Also am I missing alot of sports on DVB? Thanks for your responses. I am still open to more opinions if anyone would like to chime in.

No problem.

Norsat makes some of the best Lnbs you can buy, I suggested that one because it works great on 4dtv and also dvb, yes they are a bit pricey...

With a dvb box you will get many sports feeds from around the world, limited only to your mount configuration actuator length and sight from objects that can block reception, like trees and buildings.

Me, I use the 4dtv for my boxing on showtime and hbo, and analog wildfeeds, I use the dvb for most everything else, other sports like soccer from around the world, C and Ku band have great programming waiting to be tuned.

When adding Ku to your reflector make sure there is no damage to the dish, tight mesh is best, and it should work great.

Anymore questions ask away :)

boomer_106 said:
Ok first a little info to help. I have a 10 ft mesh dish very small holes. Would easily pass pencil test. Receiver is Uniden Supra. Right now it's C band only. I am only really interested in SPORTS. I could care less about HBO, Cinemax etc. I want to add KU band for the wildfeeds. There are quite a few sports feeds on there from what I understand.

I am figuring on the Chaparral co rotor dual feedhorn. Is this the best choice for the price?

What KU band LNB do you recommend and why? If you use a particular one and it works great or have one and it doesnt work well I'd love to hear about it. I dont want to spend more than is necessary but, at the same time I dont want to go to cheap and suffer problems.

Anything else you think would be of interest to me is welcomed. Thanks alot guys.

Here is a good link to a 4DTV forum. I was a member of this for several years until the BUD came down. You can enter as a guest if you wish.

http://4dtvforum.com/

Thanks cpdretired I believe I was a member of that forum as well.

boomer_106 said:
Hey tdti thanks for your response. I have responded to you 3 times but, they arent showing up so I am trying again. Sounds like I am on the right track with the feedhorn. Any special reason for the Norsat 4506a? I found it at one place for like $152. Is that about right? A place called daves web shop has a .5db astrotel for $40. Is that an inferior quality lnb? Would I be sorry going with a more reasonable priced unit? Also am I missing alot of sports on DVB? Thanks for your responses. I am still open to more opinions if anyone would like to chime in.

THe LNB Price is too high try this place for Norsats.
https://www.sateng.com/catalog/short_seach_mfg.asp?procedure1=Norsat&I2.x=48&I2.y=11

Hey Wayn23 Thanks alot!! That is much cheaper. Do you agree Norsat is the best choice?

boomer_106 said:
Hey Wayn23 Thanks alot!! That is much cheaper. Do you agree Norsat is the best choice?

I use a Norsat 8115 for C-band and a 4207 for KU-band that I got from them
and they work much better for me then the cheap LNB's I tried, I live in the High desert in So. Cal. and it can be over a 100 degrees for a month at a time
and my cheap LNB's would not work well when they were hot.

Ok thanks, I am in the Midwest so it gets hot but, usually doesn't stay that way for considerable periods of time. The norsats do seem favorable there though.

Anyone have an opinion on how much the noise figure matters? Anything else you would like to add?

Please Re-direct If Incorrect Forum...

boomer_106 said:

ALL I WANT IS SPEEDVISION TV WITHOUT CABLE. I HAVE HDTV; SO SOME OF THAT WOULD BE NICE., I'M IN SANTA ANA, CALIFORNIA. I'VE TRIED VOOM BUT THEIR LOCAL CONTRACTED INSTALLER MAKES ME FEEL MORE CAPABLE THAN I HAVE ANY RIGHT TO.

SINCE THE VOOM FUTURE IS IFFY; I TRIED IT FOR SIX MONTHS ONLY, AND AND STILL CAN'T GET DECENT SIGNAL IN RAIN OR WIND. THE LARGER MESH DISHES SOUND GOOD, BUT THREE FEET IS ONE THING; TEN FEET ANOTHER!

SO, IF I CAN PAY TO RECEIVE SPEEDVISION AND A FEW HD OTHERS, IS THERE AN OPTION BETWEEN C BAND AND PIZZA DISHES THAT WOULD ALLOW ME TO GET A LA CARTE PROGRAMMING WHERE I LIVE?

THE C BAND FORUM HAS 'DROPPING BELOW 250,000" A LA VOOM. THAT IS, I DON'T WANT TO INVEST IN A DISH SYSTEM THAT MAY LOSE SPEED VISION LIKE HISTORY CHANNEL, ETC. THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN PROVIDE.

MIKE

OHMS said:
SO, IF I CAN PAY TO RECEIVE SPEEDVISION AND A FEW HD OTHERS, IS THERE AN OPTION BETWEEN C BAND AND PIZZA DISHES THAT WOULD ALLOW ME TO GET A LA CARTE PROGRAMMING WHERE I LIVE?

No.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)